Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Whats the difference between ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Whats the difference between ...

a Ruger P345 and a Ruger P or K 97DC. Anyone know? I'm looking for a 45 and most 1911s are over priced and I wouldn't know which one to get. On the other hand I have a P95DC in 9mm and like a Ruger, so I'm trying to determine which would be better. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #2

Personally, I never stuck to one make. Doing so eliminates the chance of deciding someone else's design is better for you.

As far as .45 ACP today goes, I am suitably impressed by the Springfield Armory XD series of pistols. Do not believe anyone if they tell you they are copies of Glock; they are not. 1911 type pistols are fine, but the basic design is very dated - watch me catch the flack for that!!

Answer back, if you would like to know more about why many like the XD.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
Personally, I never stuck to one make. Doing so eliminates the chance of deciding someone else's design is better for you.

As far as .45 ACP today goes, I am suitably impressed by the Springfield Armory XD series of pistols. Do not believe anyone if they tell you they are copies of Glock; they are not. 1911 type pistols are fine, but the basic design is very dated - watch me catch the flack for that!!

Hey there, You don't have to sell me on an XD. I've got an XD40 that beats most other .40s. I traded a Glock 22 in and bought the XD because it fit my hand so well and was accurate out of the box.

On the other hand, XDs are new so they cost more than Rugers and I like a Ruger as well, so I thought I'd try one of then and work my way up through the brands if necessary.

I bought a used (like new) Laseraim 1911 clone yesterday at the gun show. It shot fine, but had four in 30 FTE, plus it had a divit in the feed ramp that I couldn't fill and it would block hollow points, plus the barrel was scarred. I couldn't get it bright for anything, so I took it back today and got a refund. Now I'm looking for another .45 that won't break my meager bank. Thanks for any info you can give me. I'll use it for mainly target shooting plus home defense.

Dave

Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #4

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

The XD would be a good choice or maybe a Smith M&P (used?). With firearms, like many other products, you generally get what you pay for. While there is nothing really wrong with Ruger pistols they tend to be thick in the steel areas. They use cast steel (most others use forged steel) that is not as strong as forged steel, pound for pound, so they have to use more steel to make up the difference.

I am a Smith man. I have a 4506 that is a superb weapon. You can likely find a used one. They hold up very well, mine has about 7500 rounds through it and it shoots as well now as ever. I shoot IPSC with mine and it handles 200 gr SWC's up to 230 gr JHP's with equal reliability.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

A few 1911's that aren't terribly overpriced are the Armscor RIA's , the SAM's "Shooter Arms" the Charles Daly's and the new FireStorms when they hit the market should be reasonably priced as they will be made in the Philippines and true 1911 copies .

Other 45s you might consider are the Taurus PT 945 and their Plastic model the 24/7 .

As far as the 1911 being "Dated" genie , guns are just tools and lot's of tools are dated .

The Shovel , pickax , rake , hoe , post hole digger and Wheelbarrow they're still chugging along in their basic design everyday and so are the clothes on your back and the food you eat as well as the shelter you live in .

It doesn't have to be the newest and coolest Fad toy to be useful or even great at performing a task just get the job done and done right .

As the saying goes "if you don't respect you elders boy at least have enough sense to respect your betters" and the 1911 has proven time and time again to be better than many a new and modern design after the test of time .

Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

AH genie - and you seemed to have promise when you started posting here.

John Browning developed the 1911 well over 100 years ago, and it's been in use ever sense. That platform is the basis for just about every autoloading pistol on the market today, with a few whacked out exceptions.

Anyone who doesn't like the 1911 is welcome to that opinion, but don't be so closed minded as to write it off because you feel it's "dated".

Come show me the Centennial Edition of one of your Star Wars inspired plastic models..... If they ever get to the point to qualify for building one...

JD

Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 AM   #7

Amazing how nobody has, so far, answered dgray64's original question! Here Ruger's current lineup -

Ruger 45's

Here's info on the P97DC (Decocker) which I don't think you're going to be able to find new -

Ruger 97DC

Quite frankly, for the money I'd buy a Glock!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie View Post
.... As far as .45 ACP today goes, I am suitably impressed by the Springfield Armory XD series of pistols. Do not believe anyone if they tell you they are copies of Glock; they are not. 1911 type pistols are fine, but the basic design is very dated - watch me catch the flack for that!!

'Do not believe anyone if they tell you they are copies of Glock; they are not.'

Man, I almost fell off my chair! I LOVE the reverse logic! That was brilliant of you. Have you ever thought about a career in advertising?

'1911 type pistols are fine, but the basic design is very dated'

Wow! That's twice in a row. So Clint Smith, Rob Leatham, D.R. Middlebrook, and Todd Jarrett are all out there firing antique pistols? Thanks for wising me up; who would have thought!

Can I take a guess on, 'Why' many like the Springfield XD? Based on the people I see coming through the range, (Including some of my closest acquaintances) well, .... is the answer; 'Because they simply don't know any better?'

I just outshoot them; and, they all think it's because I can shoot better than they do. Want the truth? That's only part of the equation! I'm, also, using a better pistol with a lower bore axis, a much faster reset, and a better trigger.

(But, please, don't tell anyone I told you this - OK!)

Last edited by G21.45; 08-12-2008 at 02:43 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #9

The Ruger 345 is a very slim gun compared to the other Rugers. It has a very comfortable grip and was reasonably accurate for me. I don't demand the one hole accuracy that some folks do, and couldn't shoot one hole freehand very often even if the pistol could. I traded mine for a Kahr CW45 because I wanted something in .45 that was easier for me to carry (I'm small). Had nothing to do with accuracy or reliability of the 345. It was much thinner through the grips than my P95 is. Can't comment on the P90 or P97 because I have never held either one of them.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #10

If you are looking for a 45 auto pistol and dont want to spend the big bucks to get something that is well made, accurate out of the box and less expensive than what has been discussed so far look into something from EAA. They are easily overlooked because of the price but I know of several that are used in competition and the people that own them love them. I am even seriously looking at the 10mm Witness with a 15 round mag for less than $400 if you shop smart. Quality need not be expensive and a high price does not guarntee there wont be problems. My wife just bought a S&W Model 60 that had been worked on before it left the factory, it was a distributors demo show piece. Real nice finnish, perfect fit in metal to metal on the side plates and in the grips, a crisp perfect 2.1 lb single action trigger on a Lyman trigger pull gage, with no creep or over travel, but we have to send it back to the factory. With all the attention they gave this little gun prior to making it a show piece somebody put the wrong adjustment screw in the sight. You cannot elevate the rear sight the smallest fraction of an inch, in fact, it just wiggles up and down about 5/32". It wouldnt normally be a problem but the darn thing will spread shots 8 inches up and down the center of the target from the point of aim off a rest at 25 yds. If you tie the sight down with a rubber band to hold it in the same place it shoots nice 1 1/4" or less 5 shot groups.