Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What's The Best Hollow Point For A Smith & Wesson SW9VE?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What's The Best Hollow Point For A Smith & Wesson SW9VE?

I want some hollow points for this particular gun, what will work w/o excessive jamming?

Also, what's the cheapest, most acceptable non-jamming ammo for target practice for the same gun?

my apologies if it's in the wrong section!

Last edited by the_hustleman; 02-09-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #2

For defensive use, CCI/Speer Gold Dot 124 grain Gold Dot Hollow points.

For practice, what ever WalMart has on sale/in stock 115 grain FMJ.

Both should function flawlessly !

Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Every gun is different. It may love Speer gold dots but hate winchester Ranger SXT.

You should but a box of each you want to look at and try them out.

I went through 4 boxes of high end stuff picked the best accuracy for me. Speer 185gr God dot in 45acp....

Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I only carry with Winchester Ranger ammo in all my weapons. I have not tried the Gold Dot self defense rounds for accuracy, but I know they expand like a mutha as well.

Either one would be fine as a self defense round. Being a 9mm, I would lean more towards a heavier round. 135grain, 147 grain, something like that. I load 135's or 147's in my gal's carry pistol. I make her practice with her self defense rounds, as she isn't as dilligent about dry fire and things of that nature, so whatever we have left over in those two weights are what she carries.

As for range ammo, buy whatever is cheap. The cheaper the better, to be honest. If you find that one brand is guming up your weapon and you are getting Failure to Feeds, that might tell you something about the weapon that needs to be addressed.

JD

Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, there is no way to find out what ammo your gun likes on the internet. Buy a box of what you think you would like to use and shoot it up. If it works well do it again. Don't just buy a box of something some mall ninja tells you is great, load up your gun and go whistling down the street.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I like Winchester Rangers, 124-127gr variety. They're as good as anything else out there and you can really get the cost per round down in the 50rd boxes (many defense options come in 20-25rd boxes and cost $1+ per round). You shouldn't have any feed issues, but you have to run a few mags of it through your gun to be certain. This ammo is abundantly available online for about $30/box.

For range use you needn't be picky and Walmart is a good resource. Federal Champion, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box...anything cheap, reliable, and brass cased. I like the WWB for most of my handgun plinking because they really pack their 100rd boxes tight...meaning they occupy less space in storage or transport. Range 9mm should run you $9-13 per 50.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

The SW 9VE should work with almost anything you feed it. I prefer the Gold Dots from Speer. My 9V is stoked with the 124 gr +P Gold Dots.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #8

speer gold dot 124 grain.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #9

My vote is for the Winchester SXT 9mm ammo.

SXT, (Same Xact Thing) It's a mock up of the famous Black Talon, just different title.

1085fda4.jpg  

NRA Endowment Member
host of www.triggertalk.tv

Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I like Winchester Rangers, 124-127gr variety. They're as good as anything else out there and you can really get the cost per round down in the 50rd boxes (many defense options come in 20-25rd boxes and cost $1+ per round). You shouldn't have any feed issues, but you have to run a few mags of it through your gun to be certain. This ammo is abundantly available online for about $30/box.

For range use you needn't be picky and Walmart is a good resource. Federal Champion, Remington UMC, Winchester White Box...anything cheap, reliable, and brass cased. I like the WWB for most of my handgun plinking because they really pack their 100rd boxes tight...meaning they occupy less space in storage or transport. Range 9mm should run you $9-13 per 50.

everyone keeps telling me to buy my ammo from wal-mart and keep saying wal-mart sells ammo but I've worked at a wal-mart and have visited several here in the Atlanta area and have yet to run into one that sells ammo.