What's the best 22? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What's the best 22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

Not really wanting to be anti here, but you seem to be a chicken little - running around saying the sky is falling. You seem to to trying to talk about things you don't really understand or know anything about - for the purpose of - what ? As one poster remarked - to make someone feel bad - or a bunch of someones.

One - Ruger does not specify their slide material - only that it is "aerospace aluminum" - not some specific like 7075 T6 aluminum - as you stated. You cannot know what Ruger's precise slide material is.

Two - Smith and Wesson gives their slide material of Their M&P22 as "aerospace aluminum". Sounds the same as Ruger's to me. No mention of a "Zamak". And Zamak is not an aerospace aluminum. So you have accused Smith and Wesson improperly.

Three - Your description of "Zamak" is confused - indicating that you do not understand material properties.

- Material hardness is measured in Brinell units.

- Brinell has nothing to do with strength.

- Your "look-up of Zamak shear strength is incorrect - it is 46k psi not 35k psi.

- How do you judge that 35k psi is sufficient for 22LR? This has no meaning without knowing specifics of the mechanical design. Where is shear important? What are the dimensions?

- Did you know that your 7075 T6 Al material has a shear strength of 48k psi? That is, for all practical purposes, the same as the mysterious Zamak material shear strength you are concerned about. But you say your 7075 is better. Why is it better? What is your design concern?

Four - Where is your Zamak information on all these guns coming from - it's not in the M&P22? What's with this concern?

Five - Why do you care what your slide material is made of - aluminum or any other material, for that matter? Why are you second guessing the designers of these high quality guns?

As far as concern of other companies making pistols - add the Singer Sewing Machine company to those which made Colt 1911's for the U. S. Army.

Most companies buy products made to their specifications from other companies.

Is the sky falling?
Or is it just to make people feel bad?

There are some people here that actually are engineers...
See people get offended when they know the truth about there guns and yes ruger does specify there material my little friend call them and talk to a smith as I have

Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #42

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Not really wanting to be anti here, but you seem to be a chicken little - running around saying the sky is falling. You seem to to trying to talk about things you don't really understand or know anything about - for the purpose of - what ? As one poster remarked - to make someone feel bad - or a bunch of someones.

One - Ruger does not specify their slide material - only that it is "aerospace aluminum" - not some specific like 7075 T6 aluminum - as you stated. You cannot know what Ruger's precise slide material is.

Two - Smith and Wesson gives their slide material of Their M&P22 as "aerospace aluminum". Sounds the same as Ruger's to me. No mention of a "Zamak". And Zamak is not an aerospace aluminum. So you have accused Smith and Wesson improperly.

Three - Your description of "Zamak" is confused - indicating that you do not understand material properties.

- Your "look-up of Zamak shear strength is incorrect - it is 46k psi not 35k psi.

- How do you judge that 35k psi is sufficient for 22LR? This has no meaning without knowing specifics of the mechanical design. Where is shear important? What are the dimensions?

- Did you know that your 7075 T6 Al material has a shear strength of 48k psi? That is, for all practical purposes, the same as the mysterious Zamak material shear strength you are concerned about. But you say your 7075 is better. Why is it better? What is your design concern?

Four - Where is your Zamak information on all these guns coming from - it's not in the M&P22? What's with this concern?

Five - Why do you care what your slide material is made of - aluminum or any other material, for that matter? Why are you second guessing the designers of these high quality guns?

As far as concern of other companies making pistols - add the Singer Sewing Machine company to those which made Colt 1911's for the U. S. Army.

Is the sky falling?

Funny you talk ****e about 7075-T6 but yet I'm shure your an AR person and they are made of same grade aluminum

Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Is the sky falling?

O ya Brinell is used to define hardness and tensile strength in a material such as aluminum and ZAMAK, steel and etc....don't tell me what I know to be a fact is wrong.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #44

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourfiveX39 View Post
O ya Brinell is used to define hardness and tensile strength in a material such as aluminum and ZAMAK, steel and etc....don't tell me what I know to be a fact is wrong.
This statement that you just made is just as confusing as your original. You aught to try to understand what it is you are attempting to talk about - rather than just sling terms that you've heard around. It's getting to be embarrassing.
Wouldn't try to tell you anything anymore. You seem to "know" it all. A saying of yours: "some people get offended by the truth".

You seem to be trying to make people feel bad, I guess, with bad talk about guns and materials claims. Doesn't seem like a good hobby.

You know you will be called out for BS here ...

Zamak to you.

Last edited by Colby; 02-22-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: sp

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourfiveX39 View Post

The Brinell Hardness scale measures HARDNESS!! Period! Measurement is made by the indentation method.

It does not measure tensile strength, shear strength or anything else.

Look it up!

Winston Churchill

Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBurg
THanks everyone, just ordered a S/W M&P 22 from Buds... only $380 with free shipping and it was available

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_785503_-1_757765_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Great choice!!! But when you're shooting it, it will jam on cheap ammo if it's not warmed up. I always put about 15-20 CCI throu it to start, then it will shoot just about anything, also, like any .22, they don't like to be dirty. Give it a good cleaning after every time you shoot it.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Y'all can talk about a guns strength and hardness and aluminum vs steel all day long. But a gun that is made by a company as prestige as S&W comes with reliability. He's not looking for a gun to arm a militia with, he wants a fun shooting gun for his wife and kids. If he's a 100% Glock guy, then he knows how to maintain and keep a gun clean. Most of firearm mishaps occur due to poor maintenance, or using bad ammunition. So stop criticizing eachothers oppinions and let the guy be proud of and enjoy his pistol.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Ruger 10/.22 or a mark 1-3 series pistol. Chambered in .22 LR. VERY ACCURATE and fun to plink. Ammo is cheap but AT this current moment, everything is sold out, including the guns and the ammo.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #49

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well I took my MNT 22 out to the range tonight for its Maiden voyage. What a fun gun, accurate and great grip

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBurg
Well I took my MNT 22 out to the range tonight for its Maiden voyage. What a fun gun, accurate and great grip
Sorry, damn spellcheck. I meant M and P