What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Fad gun? Neophytes and novices? REALLY dude?
Yes, really, dude.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The Glock is a fad gun. Neophytes and novices like it because they know nothing about handguns.

The 1911A1 is a proven weapon. Its only disadvantage is that with a round in the chamber, you really should put the half cock safety on if you are not shooting right away. And then with the half cock safety on, you need to cock the hammer with your thumb before you can shoot it.

A double-action design also at half cock lets you pull the trigger through the half cock safety, which the Browining in 9mm allows you to do, and which the Ruger, Sig, and CZ also let you do in .45 ACP. This allows you to shoot quickly, faster than you could with a 1911A1.
sorry shoobee, but the glock is a proven design, has been for several years. most LEO are not neophytes or novices. but the guns proven design work for those people with limited knowledge of firearms in the fact that it's a very simple weapon to operate.

the 1911 is a proven design that has had many refinements in it's over 100 year history. the glock has been in use by the Austrian military and police since 1982 and imported into the USA since the early 1990's. also they started making them in the USA many years ago and many American police departments use them by the thousands.

also i don't carry a 1911 with it on half cock, that's just absurd. cocked and locked, pull weapon from holster, sweep safety off, engage target, begin firing. faster, maybe, maybe not. i wouldn't be looking to be faster, but more accurate. also double action trigger pulls are generaly a lot heavier than those with singe action.

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Drippings...now there's one that not everybody has. Or could even tell you what it is...

EDIT:
Drillings!!! Effing autocorrect!!!!
hmmm drippings. that would reeally be a strange collection.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Wow. Hahahaha. I would think that absolutely boring, but I respect the self-assuredness it takes to know exactly what it is you like without any question or wavering in want.
Not my style either. To me that is boring because you have nothing but rifles, but he is really into getting the most out of each rifle making it as accurate as he can get them. He's really fond of competition shooting.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

sorry shoobee, but the glock is a proven design, has been for several years. most LEO are not neophytes or novices. but the guns proven design work for those people with limited knowledge of firearms in the fact that it's a very simple weapon to operate.

the 1911 is a proven design that has had many refinements in it's over 100 year history. the glock has been in use by the Austrian military and police since 1982 and imported into the USA since the early 1990's. also they started making them in the USA many years ago and many American police departments use them by the thousands.

also i don't carry a 1911 with it on half cock, that's just absurd. cocked and locked, pull weapon from holster, sweep safety off, engage target, begin firing. faster, maybe, maybe not. i wouldn't be looking to be faster, but more accurate. also double action trigger pulls are generaly a lot heavier than those with singe action.
Cops use glocks because they have a high capacity, proven reliability, and accuracy. Some cops also use 1911s for similar reasons. Glocks are going to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. Throw it from a helicopter and it still goes bang.

Would a 1911 work if tossed from a helicopter? I sure don't know and I can tell you that I don't know anyone willing to test it out with a $1000 or more pistol.

It comes down to personal preference an that's all there is to it. Both have proven their reliability and accuracy and both are being used by a whole lot of people world wide.

I am a huge 1911 fan but I also own a glock and an m&p soon. Police forces like the simplicity of the glocks, m&ps, xds, an the other polymer framed guns, but I know a s**t load of police that still carry their 1911s.

I feel that just because you don't like a gun you don't need to try and put down others that like it especially on a forum where people are trying to gain knowledge about the things that we love and all have in common and that would be guns.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #26

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

Yes, really, dude.
Ok...I'll bite...why would you possibly think that? Given the service history, and the fact that several current designs of duty pistol are some take off of the original glock design? If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the more prolific pistols in production today. I look forward to your argument.

As far as the "half cock" on the 1911...I can't imagine why you would make a blanket statement like that, given the number of "pin block" 1911's in circulation today. I prefer to have a better "first shot" advantage than the average 19th century outlaw, given where we are with technology today.

Maybe you can set me straight on that as well.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Actually, most LEOs are neophytes, and they use what they are issued, and what they are issued is what is cheap and easily bought in mass by their bosses.

And what is popular is never proof of what is really good. It is merely a fashion statement.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
Cops use glocks because they have a high capacity, proven reliability, and accuracy. Some cops also use 1911s for similar reasons. Glocks are going to go bang everytime you pull the trigger. Throw it from a helicopter and it still goes bang.

Would a 1911 work if tossed from a helicopter? I sure don't know and I can tell you that I don't know anyone willing to test it out with a $1000 or more pistol.

It comes down to personal preference an that's all there is to it. Both have proven their reliability and accuracy and both are being used by a whole lot of people world wide.

I am a huge 1911 fan but I also own a glock and an m&p soon. Police forces like the simplicity of the glocks, m&ps, xds, an the other polymer framed guns, but I know a s**t load of police that still carry their 1911s.

I feel that just because you don't like a gun you don't need to try and put down others that like it especially on a forum where people are trying to gain knowledge about the things that we love and all have in common and that would be guns.
It's all just individual opinion, you are correct.

My individual opinion is that anyone with a Glock simply wants to say they have a Glock. Period. Nothing to do with the performance of the gun.

They went to the gun shop and they caved-in to the salesman's pressure.

Had they done their homework, they would have chosen a Colt or a Browning or a Ruger instead.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Ok...I'll bite...why would you possibly think that? Given the service history, and the fact that several current designs of duty pistol are some take off of the original glock design? If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the more prolific pistols in production today. I look forward to your argument.

As far as the "half cock" on the 1911...I can't imagine why you would make a blanket statement like that, given the number of "pin block" 1911's in circulation today. I prefer to have a better "first shot" advantage than the average 19th century outlaw, given where we are with technology today.

Maybe you can set me straight on that as well.
Please see above. Thx.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

It's all just individual opinion, you are correct.

My individual opinion is that anyone with a Glock simply wants to say they have a Glock. Period. Nothing to do with the performance of the gun.

They went to the gun shop and they caved-in to the salesman's pressure.

Had they done their homework, they would have chosen a Colt or a Browning or a Ruger instead.
Wow - that is a limited opinion. Your saying everyone who bought a Glock is just buying it for the name, did no homework, and cave too the salesperson. If your own first two assumptions are correct why would someone have to cave to pressure from the sales person.

If people who buy Glocks do no research why are there literally tens of thousands of posts on message boards like this asking questions about Glocks and how they compare to other guns.

I have a relative who is considered a gun expert throughout Illinois and he has well over 50-100 guns/rifles at any given time. His recommendation to me as a first time buyer is get a Glock 17. I am still investigating and shooting on my own but I will take that under advisement.

For you to make the comment you made above is ignorant, insulting and immature.

Last edited by Magnum27; 01-11-2012 at 01:01 AM.