What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I buy anything that suits a "need", piques my interest, or is too good of a deal to let pass.

I shoot it a bunch and decide whether I like it. If it isn't a keeper, I've still gained a great deal of knowledge from owning and maintaining it. I've never owned a Glock and don't particularly like their feel. Some day soon I will own one though (probably 10mm), if for no other reason than Glock being so common it's worth knowing inside and out. Some knowledge you can only gain by owning or least working with certain firearms, rather than simply running a few mags through someone else's gun at the range.

There are certain guns that to me, are must haves if only for versatility and knowledge base. They would be:

12g SG- semi or pump
22lr rifle- any action
AR15 or AK47- short to medium range hi-cap battle rifle
30cal extended distance accurate rifle (preferably something common like 308 or 30-06)
22lr pistol- any style
9mm Hi-Cap pistol- take your pick, I prefer metal like BHP, CZ 75, P226
Tiny carry pistol- small, comfortable and reliable
Medium Carry pistol- probably polymer, caliber must be 9mm or greater
45acp service pistol- 1911, P220, or XDm45/other polymer
357 revolver- Medium frame, 4" barrel or greater, S&W or Ruger

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i tend to buy what usually catches my eye, but will buy something different if the price is right. my collection is an evolution at all times. mostly modern, but i am always on the prowl for the oddball firearm or caliber. some of my to add to the collection list are, a remington M700 or winchester M70 in 6.5mmx55, a winchester M94 in 32 win. sp., a single shot rifle in 45-70, a 20ga semi-auto shotgun, S-W in 357 mag., bolt action 22 mag., 1911 in 38 super, plus many more.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #13

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
I buy anything that suits a "need", piques my interest, or is too good of a deal to let pass.

I shoot it a bunch and decide whether I like it. If it isn't a keeper, I've still gained a great deal of knowledge from owning and maintaining it. I've never owned a Glock and don't particularly like their feel. Some day soon I will own one though (probably 10mm), if for no other reason than Glock being so common it's worth knowing inside and out. Some knowledge you can only gain by owning or least working with certain firearms, rather than simply running a few mags through someone else's gun at the range.

There are certain guns that to me, are must haves if only for versatility and knowledge base. They would be:

12g SG- semi or pump
22lr rifle- any action
AR15 or AK47- short to medium range hi-cap battle rifle
30cal extended distance accurate rifle (preferably something common like 308 or 30-06)
22lr pistol- any style
9mm Hi-Cap pistol- take your pick, I prefer metal like BHP, CZ 75, P226
Tiny carry pistol- small, comfortable and reliable
Medium Carry pistol- probably polymer, caliber must be 9mm or greater
45acp service pistol- 1911, P220, or XDm45/other polymer
357 revolver- Medium frame, 4" barrel or greater, S&W or Ruger
I've got my brother's Glock and I just don't understand what the huff and puff is all about. It's nice enough, I guess, but nothing I'd go out of the way to boast. My pocket pistols, on the other hand, I absolutely love. I've definitely narrowed my likes down to the smaller guns, mouse pieces if you will. I am looking forward to a nearing purchase of a 1911, but I fear, more and more, that I'll get it and be as indifferent to it as I am the Glock.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I am looking forward to a nearing purchase of a 1911, but I fear, more and more, that I'll get it and be as indifferent to it as I am the Glock.
Comparing a 1911 to a Glock is like comparing a Ford Mustang to a Honda Fit. They each have there purpose. I think that you will like your 1911 a whole lot more then you think you will.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #15

Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

At the very least, you would want whatever you absolutely need --

- 1 CCW handgun for yourself

- 1 CCW handgun for your spouse

- 1 defensive shotgun for yourself

That would be the very least. In addition, the following would be prudent -

- 1 backup CCW weapon smaller than the first

- some people feel that an assault rifle is a necessity

For hunting, if you hunt, one intermediate calibre that works for all your game seems good. Candidates for this round would be the .270 or 7mm mag or .30-06 or .300 mag.

If you are hunting dangerous game in North America (wild boars or bears) then a .44 revolver as a backup is also prudent. These animals usually attack whenever they are shot.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #16

Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I've got my brother's Glock and I just don't understand what the huff and puff is all about. It's nice enough, I guess, but nothing I'd go out of the way to boast. My pocket pistols, on the other hand, I absolutely love. I've definitely narrowed my likes down to the smaller guns, mouse pieces if you will. I am looking forward to a nearing purchase of a 1911, but I fear, more and more, that I'll get it and be as indifferent to it as I am the Glock.
The Glock is a fad gun. Neophytes and novices like it because they know nothing about handguns.

The 1911A1 is a proven weapon. Its only disadvantage is that with a round in the chamber, you really should put the half cock safety on if you are not shooting right away. And then with the half cock safety on, you need to cock the hammer with your thumb before you can shoot it.

A double-action design also at half cock lets you pull the trigger through the half cock safety, which the Browining in 9mm allows you to do, and which the Ruger, Sig, and CZ also let you do in .45 ACP. This allows you to shoot quickly, faster than you could with a 1911A1.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #17

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

The Glock is a fad gun. Neophytes and novices like it because they know nothing about handguns.

The 1911A1 is a proven weapon. Its only disadvantage is that with a round in the chamber, you really should put the half cock safety on if you are not shooting right away. And then with the half cock safety on, you need to cock the hammer with your thumb before you can shoot it.

A double-action design also at half cock lets you pull the trigger through the half cock safety, which the Browining in 9mm allows you to do, and which the Ruger, Sig, and CZ also let you do in .45 ACP. This allows you to shoot quickly, faster than you could with a 1911A1.
Fad gun? Neophytes and novices? REALLY dude?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #18

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf

Comparing a 1911 to a Glock is like comparing a Ford Mustang to a Honda Fit. They each have there purpose. I think that you will like your 1911 a whole lot more then you think you will.
I see your point, however you don't understand why I make the comparison. To me they're both large guns when compared to my LCP &LC9. It's the size that I'm worried will leave me with the feeling of "eh..."

But I truly hope you're right.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #19

Liked 3306 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 2384

I collect shooters, (not "collectibles" egad) and I like

military pistols and milsurp rifles, mostly.

A "well rounded" collection?

At least one good .22 target pistol, one .22 rifle,

and a shotgun, as well as whatever else you enjoy

shooting...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #20

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have both single-action and double-action semi-auto handguns. I have both single and double-action revolvers. I have bolt-action, semi-auto, lever-action and pump-action rifles. I think this counts as a well-rounded collection.