What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,611
Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Default What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection?

For me it would be about having a wide range of calibers to choose from, if it weren't for the cost of ammo. The guns are little problem, a one time purchase for years of service, but when I can pick up two or three completely different looking, feeling, and shooting guns of the same caliber, it just seems to make more sense, logically speaking.

So I collect what looks good, and semi-automatics only, with exception of one lever action rifle. I've never held or shot a gun that felt wrong or uncomfortable, except for every single revolver I'e handled. They're big and ugly and poorly weighted and take forever to shoot... Truly the epitomization of self-defense suicide.

So how do you collect?

I could see addiding some rifles, some semi-autos, some revolvers, and within the first and last some black powders... But I'm just not that into it all.

Maybe it's more of a brand thing for you, high end names to proclaim.

Or collecting the "classics" or "iconics"...

What drives your collection? Or maybe you don't consider yourself a collector. Perhaps you're a hobbyist.

__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,779
Liked 8963 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Default

Depends on what floats yer boat- if the key word there was collection.

Some folks collect one particular make of firearm- I confess to having a soft spot (middle of my head I think) for older Mossberg and Remington .22 rifles.

Some collect MILSURP firearms, some side by side shotguns. Knew one guy that collected rifles- but each rifle in his collection had the same serial number.

You could build one heck of a collection of nothing but S&W .38 Specials. Or "Suicide Specials"- cheap handguns from the 1920s. My Best Man, who had more money than I ever will, collected Drillings.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,611
Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Knew one guy that collected rifles- but each rifle in his collection had the same serial number.
Now that's an awesome way to collect. I love this. This is exactly why I started this thread... To hear the different kooky but kool kind of ways that make someone buy/collect.

Very cool info man, thanks for participating.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Now that's an awesome way to collect. I love this. This is exactly why I started this thread... To hear the different kooky but kool kind of ways that make someone buy/collect.

Very cool info man, thanks for participating.
A guy I work with collects nothing but Remington 700 and marlin lever action rifles. He has 1 870 for hunting and trap shooting. He refuses to buy pistols and is constantly buying new rifles. He had a party at his house and he showed me his safe and he has a 64 gun safe full of rem 700s and another full of marlins.
__________________
97cobra is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 2,937
Liked 2564 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 2462

Default

The perfect collection...........One of each.

__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Firearms4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Roanoke,Virginia
Posts: 1,757
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I collect just about anything and everything. I'm particularly fond of military firearms especially Soviet Union/Russian and American firearms. One thing I would love to do, if I had the money, is to collect military firearms in the order they entered service. For example I would first buy a Springfield Trapdoor rifle then the Krag Jorgensen rifle, then the 1903 Springfield, and so on. Another thing I would love to do is collect variants of a particular firearm like the Mosin Nagant, AK47, and 1903 Springfield.

__________________

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Firearms4ever is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,611
Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra

A guy I work with collects nothing but Remington 700 and marlin lever action rifles. He has 1 870 for hunting and trap shooting. He refuses to buy pistols and is constantly buying new rifles. He had a party at his house and he showed me his safe and he has a 64 gun safe full of rem 700s and another full of marlins.
Wow. Hahahaha. I would think that absolutely boring, but I respect the self-assuredness it takes to know exactly what it is you like without any question or wavering in want.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chandler51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: somewhere in....,Oklahoma
Posts: 2,185
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Depends on what floats yer boat- if the key word there was collection.

Some folks collect one particular make of firearm- I confess to having a soft spot (middle of my head I think) for older Mossberg and Remington .22 rifles.

Some collect MILSURP firearms, some side by side shotguns. Knew one guy that collected rifles- but each rifle in his collection had the same serial number.

You could build one heck of a collection of nothing but S&W .38 Specials. Or "Suicide Specials"- cheap handguns from the 1920s. My Best Man, who had more money than I ever will, collected Drillings.
Drippings...now there's one that not everybody has. Or could even tell you what it is...

EDIT:
Drillings!!! Effing autocorrect!!!!
__________________
"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Chandler51 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 164
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I used to be into firearms that I can hunt with but in the last few years I've really gotten into handguns and tactical(assault weapons I hate that term). Maybe its the uncertainty of the times we live in ? I don't know but I'm really into SD type weapons now. I just wish I had the $ to support my SD addiction. If $ were no object Id have a custom built single stack DAO in .357 Sig nobody frickn makes one that I've seen. A .50 BMG semi auto a Les Baer or LMT .308 & .556 semi a Magnum Research .22 mag with custom built 50 or 100 rnd mags in semi auto and I think it would be cool as $h## if someone like Ruger took there old .44 mag deerslayer or used their Mini 14/30 as a base and made a .454 Casull semi auto with a hi cap 30 or 50 rnd mag not my collection , but a man can dream right? Any thoughts?

__________________
WilliamTF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Phelenwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 868
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I collect just about anything and everything. I'm particularly fond of military firearms especially Soviet Union/Russian and American firearms. One thing I would love to do, if I had the money, is to collect military firearms in the order they entered service. For example I would first buy a Springfield Trapdoor rifle then the Krag Jorgensen rifle, then the 1903 Springfield, and so on. Another thing I would love to do is collect variants of a particular firearm like the Mosin Nagant, AK47, and 1903 Springfield.
Here is a old picture of my collection of military rifle that I took about 8 yrs ago. I have added to it since and have not take any more but when I get time I will post some more. This is just my military rifles.





When I get the chance I will post some more pictures of the rest of my collection or you can look at what I have in my photo album.
__________________
Phelenwolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
My collection of .22s SteelDirigible .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 8 10-26-2011 11:40 PM
New to the collection SwampDonkey General Handgun Discussion 6 06-12-2011 10:45 PM
Bullet Collection 400Grayne General Rifle Discussion 7 05-28-2011 02:37 AM
My collection NGIB General Handgun Discussion 24 12-08-2009 11:11 PM
My collection Ubergopher The Club House 8 05-06-2009 11:44 PM