Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/what-you-constitutes-well-rounded-collection-55150/)

BeyondTheBox 01-10-2012 12:53 AM

What, to you, constitutes a well rounded collection?

For me it would be about having a wide range of calibers to choose from, if it weren't for the cost of ammo. The guns are little problem, a one time purchase for years of service, but when I can pick up two or three completely different looking, feeling, and shooting guns of the same caliber, it just seems to make more sense, logically speaking.

So I collect what looks good, and semi-automatics only, with exception of one lever action rifle. I've never held or shot a gun that felt wrong or uncomfortable, except for every single revolver I'e handled. They're big and ugly and poorly weighted and take forever to shoot... Truly the epitomization of self-defense suicide.

So how do you collect?

I could see addiding some rifles, some semi-autos, some revolvers, and within the first and last some black powders... But I'm just not that into it all.

Maybe it's more of a brand thing for you, high end names to proclaim.

Or collecting the "classics" or "iconics"...

What drives your collection? Or maybe you don't consider yourself a collector. Perhaps you're a hobbyist.

c3shooter 01-10-2012 01:02 AM

Depends on what floats yer boat- if the key word there was collection.

Some folks collect one particular make of firearm- I confess to having a soft spot (middle of my head I think) for older Mossberg and Remington .22 rifles.

Some collect MILSURP firearms, some side by side shotguns. Knew one guy that collected rifles- but each rifle in his collection had the same serial number.

You could build one heck of a collection of nothing but S&W .38 Specials. Or "Suicide Specials"- cheap handguns from the 1920s. My Best Man, who had more money than I ever will, collected Drillings.

BeyondTheBox 01-10-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Knew one guy that collected rifles- but each rifle in his collection had the same serial number.

Now that's an awesome way to collect. I love this. This is exactly why I started this thread... To hear the different kooky but kool kind of ways that make someone buy/collect.

Very cool info man, thanks for participating.

97cobra 01-10-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Now that's an awesome way to collect. I love this. This is exactly why I started this thread... To hear the different kooky but kool kind of ways that make someone buy/collect.

Very cool info man, thanks for participating.

A guy I work with collects nothing but Remington 700 and marlin lever action rifles. He has 1 870 for hunting and trap shooting. He refuses to buy pistols and is constantly buying new rifles. He had a party at his house and he showed me his safe and he has a 64 gun safe full of rem 700s and another full of marlins.

rjd3282 01-10-2012 01:24 AM

The perfect collection...........One of each. :D

Firearms4ever 01-10-2012 01:28 AM

I collect just about anything and everything. I'm particularly fond of military firearms especially Soviet Union/Russian and American firearms. One thing I would love to do, if I had the money, is to collect military firearms in the order they entered service. For example I would first buy a Springfield Trapdoor rifle then the Krag Jorgensen rifle, then the 1903 Springfield, and so on. Another thing I would love to do is collect variants of a particular firearm like the Mosin Nagant, AK47, and 1903 Springfield.

BeyondTheBox 01-10-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97cobra

A guy I work with collects nothing but Remington 700 and marlin lever action rifles. He has 1 870 for hunting and trap shooting. He refuses to buy pistols and is constantly buying new rifles. He had a party at his house and he showed me his safe and he has a 64 gun safe full of rem 700s and another full of marlins.

Wow. Hahahaha. I would think that absolutely boring, but I respect the self-assuredness it takes to know exactly what it is you like without any question or wavering in want.

Chandler51 01-10-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Depends on what floats yer boat- if the key word there was collection.

Some folks collect one particular make of firearm- I confess to having a soft spot (middle of my head I think) for older Mossberg and Remington .22 rifles.

Some collect MILSURP firearms, some side by side shotguns. Knew one guy that collected rifles- but each rifle in his collection had the same serial number.

You could build one heck of a collection of nothing but S&W .38 Specials. Or "Suicide Specials"- cheap handguns from the 1920s. My Best Man, who had more money than I ever will, collected Drillings.

Drippings...now there's one that not everybody has. Or could even tell you what it is... :)

EDIT:
Drillings!!! Effing autocorrect!!!!

WilliamTF 01-10-2012 03:13 AM

I used to be into firearms that I can hunt with but in the last few years I've really gotten into handguns and tactical(assault weapons I hate that term). Maybe its the uncertainty of the times we live in ? I don't know but I'm really into SD type weapons now. I just wish I had the $ to support my SD addiction. If $ were no object Id have a custom built single stack DAO in .357 Sig nobody frickn makes one that I've seen. A .50 BMG semi auto a Les Baer or LMT .308 & .556 semi a Magnum Research .22 mag with custom built 50 or 100 rnd mags in semi auto and I think it would be cool as $h## if someone like Ruger took there old .44 mag deerslayer or used their Mini 14/30 as a base and made a .454 Casull semi auto with a hi cap 30 or 50 rnd mag not my collection , but a man can dream right? Any thoughts?

Phelenwolf 01-10-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 672542)
I collect just about anything and everything. I'm particularly fond of military firearms especially Soviet Union/Russian and American firearms. One thing I would love to do, if I had the money, is to collect military firearms in the order they entered service. For example I would first buy a Springfield Trapdoor rifle then the Krag Jorgensen rifle, then the 1903 Springfield, and so on. Another thing I would love to do is collect variants of a particular firearm like the Mosin Nagant, AK47, and 1903 Springfield.

Here is a old picture of my collection of military rifle that I took about 8 yrs ago. I have added to it since and have not take any more but when I get time I will post some more. This is just my military rifles.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/m...collection.jpg

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/m...war-horses.jpg

When I get the chance I will post some more pictures of the rest of my collection or you can look at what I have in my photo album.