Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What Would A Lower Decibel Handgun With Stopping Power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default What Would Be A Good Lower Decibel Handgun With Stopping Power?

I am looking for a handgun to keep in my truck (OTR driver) for protection realizing that if it is fired it will be from inside the cab increazing greatly how loud it will be and I already have REALLY severe tinitus. Any suggestions? I wont be able to use a suppresser as they are illegal in most states.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 08-11-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I am looking for a handgun to keep in my truck (OTR driver) for protection realizing that if it is fired it will be from inside the cab increazing greatly how loud it will be and I already have REALLY severe tinitus. Any suggestions? I wont be able to use a suppresser as they are illegal in most states.
supressors are legal in most states (38) including: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

when your in a bad spot the adrenaline will start pumping your not gonna even remember hearing the gun go off.

i would say 9mm is going to be the least abusive concussion wise. ive fired 9 45 357 44 50ae under cover and 9mm to me was the least abusive.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
supressors are legal in most states (38) including: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY.

when your in a bad spot the adrenaline will start pumping your not gonna even remember hearing the gun go off.

i would say 9mm is going to be the least abusive concussion wise. ive fired 9 45 357 44 50ae under cover and 9mm to me was the least abusive.

I drive all of the 48 lower states so I wont be able to do the suppresser. What about a small caliber with hollow points like a 380 or something in that smaller cal. class?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

380 would definately work but i would not use HP in a 380 i use 90grn fmj in my 380's

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL- an auto will be quieter than a revolver (no cylinder gap) and a longer barrel quieter than a shorty. .380 or 9mm that is not loaded w/ ++++PPPP+++ ammo will be fairly quiet.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 176 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Good question. Not sure I have an answer, but it would seem
that sub-sonic would be quieter than super-sonic, and longer
barrel would be quieter than short. Maybe a good old single
action 45, loaded up with cowboy ammo? Not a lot of capacity,
but absolutely reliable and it probably won't get you too crossed
up with some of the silly state laws out there.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL- an auto will be quieter than a revolver (no cylinder gap) and a longer barrel quieter than a shorty. .380 or 9mm that is not loaded w/ ++++PPPP+++ ammo will be fairly quiet.
Yeah, I'm thinking maybe the Walther PK380 (seems hard to find a second mag)... maybe...

Last edited by ryevick; 08-11-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even though 380 is really just a 9mm short it is actually A higher pressure round, couple a high pressure round with a shorter barrel and it really is not quiet at all... Like someone else said go with a 9mm with subsonic ammo that will probably be your best bet....