Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what should my bug out handgun be???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #61
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4417 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Wins View Post
Where's the gun, I don't see it
Here's my Sig MK25 226, it should hold up well under extreme conditions.
As far survival, that's not an easy answer as it's pretty much subjective from my experiences.

NSDQ

kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #62

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankwilson
My reason for using 9mm is because I have more of that ammo than others. Also seems easier to find in my parts.

Do they make a 22 handgun that holds more than 10? Seems like some of the full size should be able to hold 20 or 30 rounds?
Kel tec makes them in 22lr an 22mag with 30 round clips

Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #63

Liked 601 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
You said the "C" word!!!! Ready yourself for flaming!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19

You said the "C" word!!!! Ready yourself for flaming!!!!!!!!!
Besides that, it's not a 22LR with 30 round capacity. Its 22 Magnum. Their 22LR is the PLR-22 and it has 26 round capacity. Unless they make extended magazines. Not sure about that.

But I guess 26 is pretty close to 30.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #65
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4417 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 1357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
No flame, but.

Difference Between Magazine and Clip

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/clip.html

NSDQ

Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #66

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

I guess I have no clue what bug out mode is. Are you talking about flipping out and going to kill as many people as you can in a theater or school? Because that's what bugging out means to me.

Or are you just wanting something that makes you look like a complete mall ninja at the range?

Any Glock that takes those 50 round drums ought to do just fine. Or ones that take 30+ round magazines, which many, if not most, do.

CZ75 has an available 30-something round mag from that terrible mag manufacturer whose equipment never works in any gun.

Beretta 96A1/Px4 Storm or Ruger P95/90 if you don't feel the need to have those gaudy extended mags on your gun like movie props in the hands of some warrior Princess or other stupid namby-pamby, milquetoast wannabe "action hero" of sorts.

For me, a survival gun isn't single handheld, it's a rifle.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 06-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #67

Liked 601 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 1317

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

For me, a survival gun isn't single handheld, it's a rifle.
This I agree with.

Handguns are, and forever will be defensive tools. I.E. they are not made to be a primary fighting weapon. IMO

If survival is your main goal and you dont plan on doing any fighting, Get a shotgun. Full size 12 or 20 with a spare 18" barrel.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #68

Liked 79 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

You know why the military doesn't issue revolvers anymore?

The myth that revolvers are more reliable than semi-automatic pistols is just that, a myth. Anyone who has put enough .357 Magnum ammunition through their revolver can attest to what happens at high round counts with typical revolvers (Colt, S&W, Ruger).

Are revolvers still good guns? Sure are, but they're not better than modern semi-automatic pistols apart from handgun hunting.

I'm not aware of any .357 Magnum revolver that approaches the capacity and weight of a Glock 20. If you want loud, high pressure, high velocity cartridges a Buffalo Bore 10MM cartridge is right up there with all but the heaviest .357 Magnum loads and the cartridges and weapon weigh less.

Anyone here have a .357 Magnum revolver that's seen more than 100K rounds? Because there are more than a few examples of Glocks shooting more rounds than that. The durability of pistols is not the problem that some people make it out to be.

Anyone priced .357 Magnum and 9MM ammunition lately? I buy both, so I can say that there is not a single manufacturer that I know of that produces .357 Magnum ammunition for a price comparable to 9MM ammunition. If someone finds a source for .357 Magnum that's comparable in price to 9MM, please share that with the rest of us.

Shooting 1 round of .357 Magnum does not give you the same amount of practice/experience/training as 2 or 3 rounds of 9MM. Simple math, folks. If you're a good shot with a handgun then you are, but you didn't become a good shot without some practice.

9MM NATO loadings are pretty close to light .357 Magnum loads, if barrel lengths are 4 inches or less. In 5 to 6 inch barrels, the .357 Magnum pulls away from 9MM NATO and you have more power with the magnum loadings.

I suppose that if the debate is purely academic, then by all means buy whatever strikes your fancy. Every military in the world uses 9MM pistols, even if some of their folks use other calibers. I can't think of any military that issues .357 Magnum revolvers. Probably ought to settle the caliber debate, but apparently it doesn't for some people.

In a survival situation, are you going hunting with your revolver or a bolt action rifle, assuming there's any game to hunt? If you need to hunt without a lot of other people knowing about it, a suppressed pistol works a lot better than a suppressed revolver.

All common pistols and revolvers are for shooting people, not animals. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Carry your favorite .357 Magnum revolver for a day while hiking and then carry a Glock 17 or Glock 19 and let me know which was more comfortable to lug around. Carry the same number of cartridges for each weapon.

There's nothing wrong with the "weird" trigger safety on a Glock, tankwilson.

Just like a revolver, when you draw a pistol, the only thing you should have to do to fire the weapon is to pull the trigger. External hammers and thumb "safety" ("safety" is a mythical concept that only exists between your ears) levers don't make pistols "better", they just make them more complicated to use by increasing the number of things that could potentially cause a problem when you need everything to work perfectly the first time.

If you are anti-Glock, there are S&W M&P's, Caracal's, and Steyr M9's.

Striker fired designs eliminate the possibility of problems that hammer fired designs inherently have, namely obstruction of the hammer.

I like Glocks because they work, not because they're aesthetically pleasing to me, have the best trigger I've ever pulled, or are the most ergonomic. They get the job done at an affordable price and that's about all there is to say about them. Other designs, most notably the S&W M&P, are more ergonomic and it's almost as if the designers thought that at some point a human hand was gonna pick one up (unlike the folks who designed the grip and slide serrations for the Glock).
Thanks man! I don't understand how you can say that 9mm is not a great survival round? Just because it doesn't have as much boom as your .40 doesn't mean it won't stop whatever is intended to stop! Thank you very much for thoroughly explaining the revolver thing too!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #69

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Glock 19 or 17.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #70

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

I say a Glock 20