what should my bug out handgun be??? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

what should my bug out handgun be???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Pretty obvious it comes down to three calibers. Availability - 22lr and 9mm. Light weight 22lr ...by far - but 9mm is not so bad. Power vs size and weight ... 357. Different considerations.
Military stuff is not the same as survival stuff. Militaries like commonality and size/weight. Size and weight is the main reason those that changed from .45 ACP to 9mm did the change ... that and pistol capacity. 9mm pistols hold a lot more. But military is still thinking differently from survival - a different kind of survival. Military wants lots of guns and lots of bullets thrown out there. They want all their guys to carry and shoot lots of bullets - when the time comes. They plan on getting them more ammo - quick. They have a supply system. They are not hoarding ammo, like a potential survivalist - they have supply systems - and plan on using them.
Choosing a gun because the military uses it ... well ... not the same. Very different considerations.

Still... it comes back to 22lr, 9mm, and 357. And revolver for survivalists is sound thinking. Semi-auto's do have more jam potential. Yes, the military gave up revolvers - they wanted more firepower - and they demand their guys clean their guns - OFTEN! There is a reason for all that cleaning. Anyone who is being realistic should be able to admit that semi-autos have much higher jam potential.
So hard core survivalists ... probably want 22lr in revolver and long gun. 357 is a lot heavier and bulkier but has more defense potential - 38 Special and 357 - and if you get one of the convertible 357/9mm revolvers, you have picked up lots of versatility in scavenging ammo. Tough to beat that.

If it is one gun only - and it's general survivalist - 22lr revolver makes a lot of sense.
If it is one gun only and self defense oriented survival (man is the problem) - 357/9mm convertible revolver makes a lot of sense.

If it has to be strictly only one gun - but it can be either hand gun or long gun - 22lr long gun makes a lot of sense.
txpossum Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #42

Liked 164 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60

Most will feel that way but we our talking survival. If that's the case u always have your side arm to back you up. I think carrying a 22 rifle an maybe something like a 45acp or 357 for a side arm so u know the power is there if needed!! Now my go to war gun of course would be the ar15 or Ak something of those lines but that's a hold different can of beans lol
Lol your cheating and putting two guns in the equation!! That changes everything!! Give me the power-

Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #43

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Pretty obvious it comes down to three calibers. Availability - 22lr and 9mm. Light weight 22lr ...by far - but 9mm is not so bad. Power vs size and weight ... 357. Different considerations.
Military stuff is not the same as survival stuff. Militaries like commonality and size/weight. Size and weight is the main reason those that changed from .45 ACP to 9mm did the change ... that and pistol capacity. 9mm pistols hold a lot more. But military is still thinking differently from survival - a different kind of survival. Military wants lots of guns and lots of bullets thrown out there. They want all their guys to carry and shoot lots of bullets - when the time comes. They plan on getting them more ammo - quick. They have a supply system. They are not hoarding ammo, like a potential survivalist - they have supply systems - and plan on using them.
Choosing a gun because the military uses it ... well ... not the same. Very different considerations.

Still... it comes back to 22lr, 9mm, and 357. And revolver for survivalists is sound thinking. Semi-auto's do have more jam potential. Yes, the military gave up revolvers - they wanted more firepower - and they demand their guys clean their guns - OFTEN! There is a reason for all that cleaning. Anyone who is being realistic should be able to admit that semi-autos have much higher jam potential.
So hard core survivalists ... probably want 22lr in revolver and long gun. 357 is a lot heavier and bulkier but has more defense potential - 38 Special and 357 - and if you get one of the convertible 357/9mm revolvers, you have picked up lots of versatility in scavenging ammo. Tough to beat that.

If it is one gun only - and it's general survivalist - 22lr revolver makes a lot of sense.
If it is one gun only and self defense oriented survival (man is the problem) - 357/9mm convertible revolver makes a lot of sense.

If it has to be strictly only one gun - but it can be either hand gun or long gun - 22lr long gun makes a lot of sense.
Very well said!! As far as the 9mm I've just always be a 45acp guy!! Over all agree lol

Old 06-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #44

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

My reason for using 9mm is because I have more of that ammo than others. Also seems easier to find in my parts.

Do they make a 22 handgun that holds more than 10? Seems like some of the full size should be able to hold 20 or 30 rounds?

Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #45
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9412 Times on 5089 Posts
Likes Given: 19597

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankwilson

Do they make a 22 handgun that holds more than 10?
Calico m-110 has a 100 round magazine. But it is large.
image-1708943250.jpg  

Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Perfectly said Colby. I was going to respond to his comment, but honestly I didn't feel like typing all that on the iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankwilson
Do they make a 22 handgun that holds more than 10? Seems like some of the full size should be able to hold 20 or 30 rounds?
Yes, they do. Kel-Tec makes the PMR-30 which holds 30 rounds of 22 Magnum in the magazine. 22 Magnum and LR are similarly priced in most places (pre panic. No idea about nowadays).

Kel-Tec also makes the PLR-22 which is 26 rounds of 22LR. Also a little on the larger side but very affordable if you can find it:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-22/

The S&W M&P22 holds 12 rounds of 22LR

Here, take a look here (remember the listed capacity is including +1 in semi-autos):

http://www.genitron.com/

And click on "Search Handguns" at the top. You can sort it by capacity.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #47

Liked 164 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
Perfectly said Colby. I was going to respond to his comment, but honestly I didn't feel like typing all that on the iPad.

Yes, they do. Kel-Tec makes the PMR-30 which holds 30 rounds of 22 Magnum in the magazine. 22 Magnum and LR are similarly priced in most places (pre panic. No idea about nowadays).

Kel-Tec also makes the PLR-22 which is 26 rounds of 22LR. Also a little on the larger side but very affordable if you can find it:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-22/

The S&W M&P22 holds 12 rounds of 22LR

Here, take a look here (remember the listed capacity is including +1 in semi-autos):

http://www.genitron.com/

And click on "Search Handguns" at the top. You can sort it by capacity.
I guess with 30 rounds you could kill about anything, are you sure that these would kill big game?? But if your going volume over power I just soon have 9mm over a 22

Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I guess with 30 rounds you could kill about anything, are you sure that these would kill big game?? But if your going volume over power I just soon have 9mm over a 22
No I'm not sure. But he asked about 22s with higher capacity. So *shrug* there ya have it.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #49

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Once again, not that I expect to ever have to put it to the test, but my current opinion that in a shtf situation where I would have to be carrying most of my stuff with me, my choice of weapons would be a good.22 rifle, like a scoped Ruger 77/22, and a .357 magnum revolver. If size/weight permitted, I'd throw in the aforementioned Single Six Convertable. Nest addition would be a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

Now, if it were a temporary deal, or if I were working from my home where I didn't have to lug all my stuff around with me, and my primary concern was self protections against two -legged critters, I'd carry one of my 1911's and a Ruger Mk I automatic.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #50

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Because I already own one, I'd use my 686 H&R .22 with mag cylinder option. I can pack several thousand rounds of long rifle in a pretty small pack. It will feed me, light my fires, and provide some protection.