what should my bug out handgun be??? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what should my bug out handgun be???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Sig P226r. Everything you need and no safety at all. Comes with a decocker. SA/DA. Picatinny rail. two 15 round magazines, but can buy larger capacity. Seals like them....
Where's the gun, I don't see it

Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #32

Liked 2130 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Glock 17 or a Sig 226 or Beretta 92. Each is a proven performer. Just pick the one that feels best to you.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 444

The Beretta is a solid 9MM pistol, but a 92A1 is not cheaper than a Glock 17 or M&P, not more reliable, weighs slightly more than a fully loaded Glock 17 while empty, and both pistols accept a SureFire X300.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #34

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

How about a CZ PO-9 duty? 19+1 in 9mm, 1.8# and $514 MSRP

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/P-09Duty/

With CZs awesome reliability I would say this gun is perfect!

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 06-16-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

[QUOTE=308Wins;1277800]Where's the gun, I don't see it[/QUOTE

I will put out a picture thread for my Sig today or tomorrow. Here is a picture thread for my HK USP....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/german-stamped-hk-usp-40-a-92349/

Here is my Sig in the case with some more of my toys....

020.jpg  

Old 06-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #36

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

The best handgun for a bug out is a rifle.

Jim

Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #37

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

You know why the military doesn't issue revolvers anymore?

The myth that revolvers are more reliable than semi-automatic pistols is just that, a myth. Anyone who has put enough .357 Magnum ammunition through their revolver can attest to what happens at high round counts with typical revolvers (Colt, S&W, Ruger).

Are revolvers still good guns? Sure are, but they're not better than modern semi-automatic pistols apart from handgun hunting.

I'm not aware of any .357 Magnum revolver that approaches the capacity and weight of a Glock 20. If you want loud, high pressure, high velocity cartridges a Buffalo Bore 10MM cartridge is right up there with all but the heaviest .357 Magnum loads and the cartridges and weapon weigh less.

Anyone here have a .357 Magnum revolver that's seen more than 100K rounds? Because there are more than a few examples of Glocks shooting more rounds than that. The durability of pistols is not the problem that some people make it out to be.

Anyone priced .357 Magnum and 9MM ammunition lately? I buy both, so I can say that there is not a single manufacturer that I know of that produces .357 Magnum ammunition for a price comparable to 9MM ammunition. If someone finds a source for .357 Magnum that's comparable in price to 9MM, please share that with the rest of us.

Shooting 1 round of .357 Magnum does not give you the same amount of practice/experience/training as 2 or 3 rounds of 9MM. Simple math, folks. If you're a good shot with a handgun then you are, but you didn't become a good shot without some practice.

9MM NATO loadings are pretty close to light .357 Magnum loads, if barrel lengths are 4 inches or less. In 5 to 6 inch barrels, the .357 Magnum pulls away from 9MM NATO and you have more power with the magnum loadings.

I suppose that if the debate is purely academic, then by all means buy whatever strikes your fancy. Every military in the world uses 9MM pistols, even if some of their folks use other calibers. I can't think of any military that issues .357 Magnum revolvers. Probably ought to settle the caliber debate, but apparently it doesn't for some people.

In a survival situation, are you going hunting with your revolver or a bolt action rifle, assuming there's any game to hunt? If you need to hunt without a lot of other people knowing about it, a suppressed pistol works a lot better than a suppressed revolver.

All common pistols and revolvers are for shooting people, not animals. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Carry your favorite .357 Magnum revolver for a day while hiking and then carry a Glock 17 or Glock 19 and let me know which was more comfortable to lug around. Carry the same number of cartridges for each weapon.

There's nothing wrong with the "weird" trigger safety on a Glock, tankwilson.

Just like a revolver, when you draw a pistol, the only thing you should have to do to fire the weapon is to pull the trigger. External hammers and thumb "safety" ("safety" is a mythical concept that only exists between your ears) levers don't make pistols "better", they just make them more complicated to use by increasing the number of things that could potentially cause a problem when you need everything to work perfectly the first time.

If you are anti-Glock, there are S&W M&P's, Caracal's, and Steyr M9's.

Striker fired designs eliminate the possibility of problems that hammer fired designs inherently have, namely obstruction of the hammer.

I like Glocks because they work, not because they're aesthetically pleasing to me, have the best trigger I've ever pulled, or are the most ergonomic. They get the job done at an affordable price and that's about all there is to say about them. Other designs, most notably the S&W M&P, are more ergonomic and it's almost as if the designers thought that at some point a human hand was gonna pick one up (unlike the folks who designed the grip and slide serrations for the Glock).
I love 9mm, I own a couple and carry one!! And I think it is a great HD weapon!! The only reason I would pick the 357 as a handgun choice would be for the big wild game either for hunting or protecting!! 9mm couldn't deal with most big game, and even the 357 would have trouble with some!
Your point about the military is well taken, however most of there weapon choices that is centered around the military is man killing not trying to survive in a jungle or survive encounters of big game!! I know that sorta stuff is taken into consideration but not the center point of focus!! And I'm assuming you have all the ammo you can carry, I'm not taking into consideration availability and price!! I'm playing on an equal playing field!! Common wild game that you might encounter, such as a hungry or angry mountain lions a 357 would be better over the 9mm!! 44 mag would be best, but than you really do start getting into some "weight to carry" issues!! To each is own and we are all Have our opinions!! But I still believe 357 sports the best, most Versatel round for multiple needs!!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #38

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankwilson
Hey guys time to buy another gun. Im kinda thinking a ultimate survival gun.....what I mean is what semi auto handgun would u grab and go in a bug out situation?

Heres my requirements....
-Large capacity stock magazine 15 rounds or more.
-9mm.
-Simple..no weird trigger safetys.
-Preferre a external hammer but not a requirement.
-Rail for light/laser

Which one should I buy?
I think the 22lr is the best round for survival. Henry arms makes a nice little 22lr rifle I know not a handgun but this weapon is under 1.5 pounds an can be broken down to fit perfectly in a bugout bag. When u think survival u need a round and a weapon that is very light weight an that can both kill med to small game an have the means to defend yourself!! I feel the 22 fits those needs. I know I just dropped the bomb cause I said 22 an defend it the same sentence but its all about survival an how much u can carry!!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #39

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60

I think the 22lr is the best round for survival. Henry arms makes a nice little 22lr rifle I know not a handgun but this weapon is under 1.5 pounds an can be broken down to fit perfectly in a bugout bag. When u think survival u need a round and a weapon that is very light weight an that can both kill med to small game an have the means to defend yourself!! I feel the 22 fits those needs. I know I just dropped the bomb cause I said 22 an defend it the same sentence but its all about survival an how much u can carry!!
I hear you!! You know I look at these tiny rounds in my 22 and just have a hard time feeling real safe with that small of a round, especially in the wild to protect against God knows what!! Now for hunting small game they are ideal!! But for protection, I can't go there!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #40

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I hear you!! You know I look at these tiny rounds in my 22 and just have a hard time feeling real safe with that small of a round, especially in the wild to protect against God knows what!! Now for hunting small game they are ideal!! But for protection, I can't go there!
Most will feel that way but we our talking survival. If that's the case u always have your side arm to back you up. I think carrying a 22 rifle an maybe something like a 45acp or 357 for a side arm so u know the power is there if needed!! Now my go to war gun of course would be the ar15 or Ak something of those lines but that's a hold different can of beans lol