what should my bug out handgun be??? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what should my bug out handgun be???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

If I only had one gun to take for survival, it would be my AR. Lots of capacity and accurate for long distance.

Im just looking for the ideal handgun for a go bag or bug out situation.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #22

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Going by your guide lines in the original post, my choice would be the Beretta 92. My second choice would be any of the Ruger P series pistols in 9 mm.
That is again going by your listed guide lines, but I am not a 9 mm guy. So in my house the choice of bug out pistols is two Beretta 96 .40 S&W's and a Ruger MK II going along for any "living off the land" needs that might arise.

Two good knives, the three pistols above, the Winchester 94 in .44 mag and the Winchester mod 70 .30-06 are the only armament the wife and I need to live in any bug out senerio.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #23

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankwilson
If I only had one gun to take for survival, it would be my AR. Lots of capacity and accurate for long distance.

Im just looking for the ideal handgun for a go bag or bug out situation.
Ok I'm a little confused about bug or bag out!! But I'm back to my original answer sp95!! Good shooter, cheap, durable, high capacity!! It comes with extra mag as well so you have 31 rounds you can fire inside of a minute or so if you needed to.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #24

Liked 1147 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Sigh. Okay. Let's say that "survival" handguns means what handgun would best help keep you alive in a wide variety of situations with minimal resources. The gun I would pick would either be the Ruger Single Six Convertible with both the .22lr and the 22 magnum cylinders, or a Ruger Blackhawk with the .357/9mm cylinders.

As I recently stated in another thread, I believe that a .357 magnum revolver is the most all around useful handgun there is. It will shoot everything from a wimpy 110 grain .38 special target load to a heavy hunting round of a 180 grain bullet traveling at 1400 fps; some loads exceed 800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. There is no other commercially made handgun I know of that has such a wide range of performance in ammo. Ammo in both .38 and .357 is common, and would be as available as just about any other. If you add in factor of the 9mm cylinder available in the convertible Blackhawk, you further increase the choice and availability of ammunition. The 9mm option is why I would chose this gun; otherwise I would pick a double action .357, probably a N frame Smith and Wesson, such as the Model 27 or 28.

However, centerfire ammo is bulky and heavy. .22 ammo is compact and light. It's easy to carry 1000 rounds of .22 lr in a bag or back; try lugging 20 boxes of .357 ammo around all day, in addition to your other gear. The Ruger Six Six also gives you the option of .22 mag ammo, which increases your ammo options, and also gives you considerably more power. The .22 mag is suitable for all small game and varmits, and (while certainly not the best choice) has been used to hunt hogs and deer. As far as self defense -- well, I wouldn't want to get shot with one. Some studies show that it's effectivess as a self defense round is almost the same as that of a standard .38 special load.

In any SHTF situation, I would make sure that at least one of my guns was a .22. As stated above, I'd go with the Single Six because of the ability to shoot the .22 mag-- other close considerations would be the Ruger MK I, II, or III autos, and the new take-down 10-22 looks mightly tempting to stick in the car.

IMO, survival means caution and living, not being Rambo.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Sigh. Okay. Let's say that "survival" handguns means what handgun would best help keep you alive in a wide variety of situations with minimal resources. The gun I would pick would either be the Ruger Single Six Convertible with both the .22lr and the 22 magnum cylinders, or a Ruger Blackhawk with the .357/9mm cylinders.

As I recently stated in another thread, I believe that a .357 magnum revolver is the most all around useful handgun there is. It will shoot everything from a wimpy 110 grain .38 special target load to a heavy hunting round of a 180 grain bullet traveling at 1400 fps; some loads exceed 800 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. There is no other commercially made handgun I know of that has such a wide range of performance in ammo. Ammo in both .38 and .357 is common, and would be as available as just about any other. If you add in factor of the 9mm cylinder available in the convertible Blackhawk, you further increase the choice and availability of ammunition. The 9mm option is why I would chose this gun; otherwise I would pick a double action .357, probably a N frame Smith and Wesson, such as the Model 27 or 28.

However, centerfire ammo is bulky and heavy. .22 ammo is compact and light. It's easy to carry 1000 rounds of .22 lr in a bag or back; try lugging 20 boxes of .357 ammo around all day, in addition to your other gear. The Ruger Six Six also gives you the option of .22 mag ammo, which increases your ammo options, and also gives you considerably more power. The .22 mag is suitable for all small game and varmits, and (while certainly not the best choice) has been used to hunt hogs and deer. As far as self defense -- well, I wouldn't want to get shot with one. Some studies show that it's effectivess as a self defense round is almost the same as that of a standard .38 special load.

In any SHTF situation, I would make sure that at least one of my guns was a .22. As stated above, I'd go with the Single Six because of the ability to shoot the .22 mag-- other close considerations would be the Ruger MK I, II, or III autos, and the new take-down 10-22 looks mightly tempting to stick in the car.

IMO, survival means caution and living, not being Rambo.
Lol very well put!! I'll take my chances with the 357 mag even if could only carry 300 rounds vs 1000!! Most parts of the world there is big game that the 22 round couldn't deal with!!! However I've heard that the 22mag performs(penetrates) Surprisingly well!! Just wouldn't trust it if an angry mountain lion was on my trail!! Give me an 327 Smith 8 shot 357mag and 300 rounds and I will take my chances!!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:40 AM   #26

Liked 1147 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Lol very well put!! I'll take my chances with the 357 mag even if could only carry 300 rounds vs 1000!! Most parts of the world there is big game that the 22 round couldn't deal with!!! However I've heard that the 22mag performs(penetrates) Surprisingly well!! Just wouldn't trust it if an angry mountain lion was on my trail!! Give me an 327 Smith 8 shot 357mag and 300 rounds and I will take my chances!!
Yes, I think the .357 mag is the most versitle handgun there is; however, if I were on a long term bug out (not likely to happen, but we're playing "what if" here) the weight and compactness of .22 ammo might weigh in favor of the .22. Of course, ideally one would have both.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

And I wouldn't want an semi auto in the wild for any length of time!! Most start jamming if they get dirty or neglected after time!! The revolver is proven more durable under extreme conditions(neglect) I assume you won't have your ideal cleaning kit with you!!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:05 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
And I wouldn't want an semi auto in the wild for any length of time!! Most start jamming if they get dirty or neglected after time!! The revolver is proven more durable under extreme conditions(neglect) I assume you won't have your ideal cleaning kit with you!!
1911s worked quite well in WW2, Korea and Vietnam for long periods of time in the woods. They were made very loose inside so that objects would not get stuck in the machinary. Origanal Colt 1911 rattled alot. Also good Polymer guns make excellent field sidearms. Look at some of their torture tests. The Navy chose a P226 for their SFs, and use them for water operations all the time. They also do fine in the jungles, desert, snowy regions etc. All handguns need cleaning. Revolvers too. A soldier has his cleaning kit out in the field. They do not take up much room or weight. Civilians should learn from this. I do carry a field cleaning kit with me while hunting/BOB. You can get them in a camo pouch at a military clothing store (on base/post) or military surplus store (civilian). I have for .308, 5.56, 9, .40, 12 gauge. Did you know you can use a .50 caliber machine gun brush for your shotgun?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Quote:
You know why the military doesn't issue revolvers anymore?

The myth that revolvers are more reliable than semi-automatic pistols is just that, a myth. Anyone who has put enough .357 Magnum ammunition through their revolver can attest to what happens at high round counts with typical revolvers (Colt, S&W, Ruger).

Are revolvers still good guns? Sure are, but they're not better than modern semi-automatic pistols apart from handgun hunting.

I'm not aware of any .357 Magnum revolver that approaches the capacity and weight of a Glock 20. If you want loud, high pressure, high velocity cartridges a Buffalo Bore 10MM cartridge is right up there with all but the heaviest .357 Magnum loads and the cartridges and weapon weigh less.

Anyone here have a .357 Magnum revolver that's seen more than 100K rounds? Because there are more than a few examples of Glocks shooting more rounds than that. The durability of pistols is not the problem that some people make it out to be.

Anyone priced .357 Magnum and 9MM ammunition lately? I buy both, so I can say that there is not a single manufacturer that I know of that produces .357 Magnum ammunition for a price comparable to 9MM ammunition. If someone finds a source for .357 Magnum that's comparable in price to 9MM, please share that with the rest of us.

Shooting 1 round of .357 Magnum does not give you the same amount of practice/experience/training as 2 or 3 rounds of 9MM. Simple math, folks. If you're a good shot with a handgun then you are, but you didn't become a good shot without some practice.

9MM NATO loadings are pretty close to light .357 Magnum loads, if barrel lengths are 4 inches or less. In 5 to 6 inch barrels, the .357 Magnum pulls away from 9MM NATO and you have more power with the magnum loadings.

I suppose that if the debate is purely academic, then by all means buy whatever strikes your fancy. Every military in the world uses 9MM pistols, even if some of their folks use other calibers. I can't think of any military that issues .357 Magnum revolvers. Probably ought to settle the caliber debate, but apparently it doesn't for some people.

In a survival situation, are you going hunting with your revolver or a bolt action rifle, assuming there's any game to hunt? If you need to hunt without a lot of other people knowing about it, a suppressed pistol works a lot better than a suppressed revolver.

All common pistols and revolvers are for shooting people, not animals. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Carry your favorite .357 Magnum revolver for a day while hiking and then carry a Glock 17 or Glock 19 and let me know which was more comfortable to lug around. Carry the same number of cartridges for each weapon.

There's nothing wrong with the "weird" trigger safety on a Glock, tankwilson.

Just like a revolver, when you draw a pistol, the only thing you should have to do to fire the weapon is to pull the trigger. External hammers and thumb "safety" ("safety" is a mythical concept that only exists between your ears) levers don't make pistols "better", they just make them more complicated to use by increasing the number of things that could potentially cause a problem when you need everything to work perfectly the first time.

If you are anti-Glock, there are S&W M&P's, Caracal's, and Steyr M9's.

Striker fired designs eliminate the possibility of problems that hammer fired designs inherently have, namely obstruction of the hammer.

I like Glocks because they work, not because they're aesthetically pleasing to me, have the best trigger I've ever pulled, or are the most ergonomic. They get the job done at an affordable price and that's about all there is to say about them. Other designs, most notably the S&W M&P, are more ergonomic and it's almost as if the designers thought that at some point a human hand was gonna pick one up (unlike the folks who designed the grip and slide serrations for the Glock).

Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #30

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Another vote for why not just the Beretta 92A1?

3 -17 round mags come with the pistol, and it has a

1913 rail built in.