Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what should my bug out handgun be???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
I thought this thread started out as to what was the "ultimate survival handgun". To me, this involves a lot of other consideration other than what is the best self defense gun for two legged critters.

I have yet to see anyone who set down and listed the "survival" factors the gun would be used for, and exactly why the 9mm is the most suitable caliber to meet those considerations.
It's common, no doubt about that.
If there's a post nuclear apocalypse, and I got jumped, but my trusty 9mm saved the day, there's a much bigger chance they'd have that than a box of 5.7x28

Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #92

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
I thought this thread started out as to what was the "ultimate survival handgun". To me, this involves a lot of other consideration other than what is the best self defense gun for two legged critters.

I have yet to see anyone who set down and listed the "survival" factors the gun would be used for, and exactly why the 9mm is the most suitable caliber to meet those considerations.
We where discussion reliability, which is one of many factors in play to survive!! I'm not on the 9mm band wagon!! I chose the 627 8 round 357 mag!! Power to hunt, power to protect! And reliable!! Glock 29 10mm!! The 9mm is an excellent man stopper! Just wouldn't trust the power in the wild of 9mm

Old 06-21-2013, 03:42 AM   #93

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

Let me warn everyone NOT to take your usually better-planted bait this time Beyond The Box. The phrase to "bug out" has been around at least as long as MASH used it every other week as part of the 1950's lexicon. Sorry -- your grandfather used the term and they're not falling for it this time. Here.
Do explain then, what does bug out mean in this context? I only have more recent definitions to go on.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:46 AM   #94

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post

Not really Box. Not at all. It has more to do with what emphasis people put on what scenarios they consider most likely and threatening.

A 9mm semi-auto really only fits the bill for someone whose most likely expectation is a human threat and one where repeated high-capacity rapid-fire shots are required vs. more accurate and effective stopping power. Your dismissal of the issue as capricious whimsy is fanciful and probably designed to start an argument.

Did I bite on the hook hard enough?
Yeah, really, personal preference, based on, as you pointed out, ones own idea of likelihood (or scenarios).

Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 606 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post

If you run into a bear in Texas after SHTF, let us know how it went.

I'm betting that the humans will be a bit more of a problem than the critters will be, especially since every TD&H with a rifle will be after them to "feed the family" post-SHTF. That'll last for about a week, maybe a month since there are more liberals now.

Put another way, what's the biggest threat to your survival right now, critters or humans?

We've killed far, far more of each other than any type of animal except the microscopic kind.

Since firearms were invented, the only question was how light can you make it, how fast can it spit out lead, and how user-friendly can you make it.

I think John Moses Browning, Eugene Stoner, Mikhail Kalashnikov, and Gaston Glock have answered those questions pretty convincingly.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

If you run into a bear in Texas after SHTF, let us know how it went.

I'm betting that the humans will be a bit more of a problem than the critters will be, especially since every TD&H with a rifle will be after them to "feed the family" post-SHTF. That'll last for about a week, maybe a month since there are more liberals now.

Put another way, what's the biggest threat to your survival right now, critters or humans?

We've killed far, far more of each other than any type of animal except the microscopic kind.

Since firearms were invented, the only question was how light can you make it, how fast can it spit out lead, and how user-friendly can you make it.

I think John Moses Browning, Eugene Stoner, Mikhail Kalashnikov, and Gaston Glock have answered those questions pretty convincingly.
Good points and it just depends on situational survival!! If your relying on hunting as a critical component better add some power behind your speed and weight points!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 606 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Good points and it just depends on situational survival!! If your relying on hunting as a critical component better add some power behind your speed and weight points!
If Bambi or The Three Little Bears ever manage to make their way to downtown Houston, I have a .30-06 Remington 700 I'll introduce them to.

If that fails, I'll play clips of Nancy Grace over a bullhorn. That'll scare the devil himself off. In fact, between Nancy Grace and The View, it's enough to make almost anyone or anything commit suicide.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

If Bambi or The Three Little Bears ever manage to make their way to downtown Houston, I have a .30-06 Remington 700 I'll introduce them to.

If that fails, I'll play clips of Nancy Grace over a bullhorn. That'll scare the devil himself off. In fact, between Nancy Grace and The View, it's enough to make almost anyone or anything commit suicide.
Handguns my friend!! I would take any decent rifle over the best handgun, particularly to survive!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

For a bug out bag, I would choose something reliable and something that I could find spare mags and parts for easily. So that means I would choose a pistol that would be found almost anywhere. My list as follows.

1. 1911- Most popular semi-automatic handgun (makes finding parts and mags easy), has proven reliability and the .45 round is proven.

2. Beretta 92fs- This gun is current issue for the military and many police departments issue them. They are reliable and high cap. Also parts and mags will be easy to find because of this.

3. Ruger or Smith .357- Both brands are reliable. A .357 can shoot both .38 and .357 so that is a wide range of ammo choices and availability.

4. Glock 17- This pistol is often issue for many police departments and popular so parts and mags can found easy. Also it is reliable.

This is just a short list, I think it depends on what you are comfortable with and what you know how to use best. I think that a common sidearm is best because of availability of ammo and spare parts. Because regardless how reliable it is, it is man made and may fail. So it is good to be able to find parts easily.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington