What should i get? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What should i get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive been shooting handguns for about four months now. And i first bought a Ruger Gp100 .357, and for me its a great gun to learn the basics of gun ownership. Ive been shooting long guns since i was 10 and know saftey, but there is a big differance in a handgun. But my next pistol is gonna be a Ruger Mk lll because how cheap it is shoot. Same with my oldlady, she wanted a handgun after i got mine and she got a Glock 17 9mm. And i got her a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 for christmas and she loves it. If i could do it again i would have bought the .22 first because you can always "refresh" with a .22, and every shooter should have a good .22 in their safe.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 AM   #12

Here's my advice, give it a little time as do some research on what it is your exactly looking for in a handgun. While the choices are endless, the the pros and cons are going to drive you insane, it honestly took me 3 months to figure out just what I wanted. But if your lookin to just start shooting definitely go with a .22. They are cost effective and a pleasure to shoot for extended periods. Again like they say there is no "perfect" handgun. Look around figure out realistically what your going to use it for and pick one that best suits. There is nothing worse than buyers remorse on something you plan on having for many, many years.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad2137 View Post
Here's my advice, give it a little time as do some research on what it is your exactly looking for in a handgun. While the choices are endless, the the pros and cons are going to drive you insane, it honestly took me 3 months to figure out just what I wanted. But if your lookin to just start shooting definitely go with a .22. They are cost effective and a pleasure to shoot for extended periods. Again like they say there is no "perfect" handgun. Look around figure out realistically what your going to use it for and pick one that best suits. There is nothing worse than buyers remorse on something you plan on having for many, many years.
Shoot... trade it in or buy more.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Shoot... trade it in or buy more.
Hahaha agreed, if it were that easy I'd add a section on my house for a very large collection. Only thing in the time in between purchases seems to be getting longer. Drives me nuts

Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Many here would recommend a .22 pistol to learn the basics with, and I tend to agree got the most part.

What would be a great idea is to find a range that rents handguns, try as many as you can, with as much ammo as you can, and get what feels best to you.

Some folks want the latest and greatest, or the prettiest, or the one they hear about the most in online forums like this one. That is not the way to go.

You need something that you are comfortable with and enjoy shooting. If you don't like it, you won't shoot it, if you don't shoot it, your skills with it will suffer.

Shooting is a perishable skill, just like riding a motorcycle, driving a car, and many other things.

To ask what gun to buy is similar to asking what work boots to buy. Everyone's feet are different, as well as the job they work. What suits one, may not suit anyone else.

You also need to know for sure what the primary use will be. Carry gun? Plinker? Wall hanger? Collectible? Let us know so we can give you better advice.
Good advice here. Definitely try out different types of guns if you can before you buy. If you are very unfamiliar with guns (like I used to be), I strongly recommend you take a class. For me, the class was the first time I ever shot a gun and it was definitely money well spent.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #16

Thank you all for the advise. I can actually say the advise I got was a big help. I know now what's a good start.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Many here would recommend a .22 pistol to learn the basics with, and I tend to agree got the most part.

What would be a great idea is to find a range that rents handguns, try as many as you can, with as much ammo as you can, and get what feels best to you.

Some folks want the latest and greatest, or the prettiest, or the one they hear about the most in online forums like this one. That is not the way to go.

You need something that you are comfortable with and enjoy shooting. If you don't like it, you won't shoot it, if you don't shoot it, your skills with it will suffer.

Shooting is a perishable skill, just like riding a motorcycle, driving a car, and many other things.

To ask what gun to buy is similar to asking what work boots to buy. Everyone's feet are different, as well as the job they work. What suits one, may not suit anyone else.

You also need to know for sure what the primary use will be. Carry gun? Plinker? Wall hanger? Collectible? Let us know so we can give you better advice.
Well my primary use is just going to be shooting targets at the range. I did it once and fell in love it with. So now I want to purchase a weapon of my own and become proficient in shooting

Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27

I am in the same boat as you. Have been on here for a couple months. This is BY FAR the best place I have found to ask questions & learn about different options.

My extremely limited opinion is to get a 9mm. It is a useful caliber and inexpensive to learn to shoot. I will probably get a Glock 17 or Smith & Wesson M&P 9. There are a lot of great options out there.

all will tell you - go to a range and see what you like. I agree!
I actually shot a Glock 17. I enjoyed it. That might be one of my options. Thank you.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
1. Go take a class on handguns. Here is a NRA site that will help find something... http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/index.asp

2. Go try lots of different guns. Much of purchasing a gun is how it feels to you.

3. Buy two guns: a .22lr and a major caliber (9mm, 357, 40, 45).

If there is one thing everyone on here can agree upon, it is everyone needs a 22. It will always be the most economical way to shoot and therefore means you will shoot more often and become more proficient.

Honestly, if the 22 isn't your first gun, it should be your second.

Don't get hung up on brands. I own Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Winchester, Remington... Any of the major manufacturers make fine guns... even Glock (ugh).
Everyone is saying for the most part, to start out with the 22. I guess I'll try it out. I'm trying to become proficient as possible as shooting. So starting out small should be good for me... Thank you for the link.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
Glock 19 (9mm) IMO
Is the recoil somthing to be worried about, since I'm a first time shooter?