What should i get?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What should i get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What should i get?

I don't know very much about weapons. I'm starting to learn a little bit here and there. I would like to know what pistol I should purchase. Any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick
I don't know very much about weapons. I'm starting to learn a little bit here and there. I would like to know what pistol I should purchase. Any suggestions?
I am in the same boat as you. Have been on here for a couple months. This is BY FAR the best place I have found to ask questions & learn about different options.

My extremely limited opinion is to get a 9mm. It is a useful caliber and inexpensive to learn to shoot. I will probably get a Glock 17 or Smith & Wesson M&P 9. There are a lot of great options out there.

all will tell you - go to a range and see what you like. I agree!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Many here would recommend a .22 pistol to learn the basics with, and I tend to agree got the most part.

What would be a great idea is to find a range that rents handguns, try as many as you can, with as much ammo as you can, and get what feels best to you.

Some folks want the latest and greatest, or the prettiest, or the one they hear about the most in online forums like this one. That is not the way to go.

You need something that you are comfortable with and enjoy shooting. If you don't like it, you won't shoot it, if you don't shoot it, your skills with it will suffer.

Shooting is a perishable skill, just like riding a motorcycle, driving a car, and many other things.

To ask what gun to buy is similar to asking what work boots to buy. Everyone's feet are different, as well as the job they work. What suits one, may not suit anyone else.

You also need to know for sure what the primary use will be. Carry gun? Plinker? Wall hanger? Collectible? Let us know so we can give you better advice.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #4

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Pretty open ended question. What do you intend to do with it? Self protection? Target? Hunting? Will you be carrying it on your person, leaving it home for home protection? Lots of stuff to consider.
If you just want a good gun to learn with, IMHO you'd be best off with a .22 revolver. Easy and simple to load and shoot. If you really want a semi-auto, I'd suggest a Ruger MKIII. Great pistol for not too much money. I can't really suggest a particular revolver as I don't own a .22 revolver and it's been a while since I've shot one.
Hopefully you can get someone you know who knows about guns to help you pick one out and bring you to a range to learn to load and shoot it properly. If not, find out if there's a range near you that rents guns so you can try some out with their help.
Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of guns! Kiss your $$ goodby!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Slick,

If you want a pistol to learn the basics. I would recommend you look into the Ruger 22 Semi-Auto Target Pistols, Browning Bench Mark or similar pistols. They are great pistols to learn basic fundamentals and handling techniques and are not that expensive. I addition, 22 ammunition is very reasonable to shoot! These pistols will rapidly develop confidence and good techniques and will be a good choice! I would recommend also that you check around and find a good instructor to get you started on the correct fundamentals!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0L0slick View Post
I would like to know what pistol I should purchase. Any suggestions?
I see you got some good advice already. A basic gun instruction course with a focus on safety is a good way to get things started. Often these courses will let you shoot a range of hand guns in a range of calibers. A .22 is a good entry point and a great way to work on mechanics. I would also start thinking about the mission the gun will support. Will it be for fun, competition shooting, home defense or possibly concealed carry. My thinking is you don't need to know all the answers right now if you start with the .22. Have fun as you explore and be sure to keep us posted!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2170 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 786

1. Go take a class on handguns. Here is a NRA site that will help find something... http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/index.asp

2. Go try lots of different guns. Much of purchasing a gun is how it feels to you.

3. Buy two guns: a .22lr and a major caliber (9mm, 357, 40, 45).

If there is one thing everyone on here can agree upon, it is everyone needs a 22. It will always be the most economical way to shoot and therefore means you will shoot more often and become more proficient.

Honestly, if the 22 isn't your first gun, it should be your second.

Don't get hung up on brands. I own Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Winchester, Remington... Any of the major manufacturers make fine guns... even Glock (ugh).

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 01-27-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Glock 19 (9mm) IMO

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Trip286 and Scott have it right just follow their post. Good Luck.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Glock 19 (9mm) IMO
I like that one too! But then again there are soo many I like!