What should I buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What should I buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What should I buy?

Okay F.T. guys,
I'm toting a 357 revolver right now, but I'm wanting to go back to semi-auto. 9mm has always kind of been my caliber, but I might go with something different. 9's are about the cheapest ammo in knock down size, and they don't break your wrist. Like I said I might go with something different if the gun really suits me like I think it should. I am pretty well set on compact because sub-compact ain't enough to hold on to and I like to shoot at the range fairly often. Plus the mouse guns have no accuracy, they would be fine if were looking for a back up or last resort, but I'm not. Full size is just too big right now because I want something to carry and keep concealed. Keep in mind I'm 5'9" and 190lb so I'm not a large framed guy. I have looked at the Kel-Tec PF9 but I hear it's too snappy. The Bersa Thunder CC380 is nice but the ammo is almost twice that of the 9mm Luger. Others have caught my attention but I'm also on a budget. I would really like to keep it under 300. Before you get all wound up on me, just read on. The Glock and the XD are nice but I'm one of those "Hammer" guys. The 1911 is unarguably wonderful, but I am also one of those "Double Action" guys. Also I like single stack for better carrying comfort and concealability. And I'd like to stick with something that will hold up well in all extreme conditions because this will be on me at all times. Oh yeah. I almost forgot, there's nothing wrong with my revolver, I'm just not comfortable with it. When I get something new, my lil' snubby is going to stay in the truck with me so if I need it when I'm in the truck, I won't be fight the seat belt and any other obstructions to get it out.

Thanking you in advance.

Pumpkinball

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Just wondering... Didn't you post about the same thing in another section?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #3

Yes sort of, but that question got answered indirectly so I'm just wanting opinions. There are lots of options and while my budget is low, I like for my decisions to be good ones and that I'm going to like and want to keep what I get. I have had dozens of handguns in the past that I just bought at the spur of the moment, only to later find that I wasn't truely happy. If you have been in the world of guns for any legnth of time then you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. I like many different styles is the problem, but I've learned to slow down and think how it's going to cope with me and my everyday functions. Not just buy it because it's a good gun at a good deal. That's really the reason for joining this forum. And have since found that there other great things about being a member here. I like to give my two cents as well as hear everyone elses. I'm looking to make a purchase in the near future and want to be 100% satisfied for a long long long while. Normally by the time I get a new one home I'm already thinking how I can trade it.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you can have this shipped to your FFL, you will not regret it. It's a 9mm clone of the Browning Hi Power. It will take 13 rounds in a double stack magazine and it's still incredibly slim. 15rd mags are available as well. (MecGar makes the best mags for them)

It's dirt cheap and an outstanding pistol. It will meet all of your criteria and more.

Link: FM Argentine

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are on a tight budget check out Bersa thunder or minithunder on 9 mm,double action ,hammer, good gun for the money

Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you're looking for a reliable double action 9mm pistol with single stack magazine, I think a Sig might be the best choice. A P239 or P225 (P6) would serve you well.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Two 9mm choices;

A vintage P35 Browning High Power

I got this one on gunbroker.com for $550.

Or to save cash and get a new gun;

Arcus 98DAC Double Action Compact Pistol, Cal. 9mm (The Bulgarian Browning High Power)

Arcus 98DAC 9mm Duo-tone $346.99

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

(Read Cane's siggy).

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #9

lots of people i know carry compact 1911's, these can get a little pricey. i have been looking at the ruger sr9c, i can't speak from any experience, but it looks and feels like a great little gun.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I really can't think of anything worth having that I would trust for under $300.