What should he get?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What should he get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default What should he get?

Hey guys my dad is now down in florida and has caught the gun bug lol.. He asked me for advice in a new semi auto pistol but I'm not that far into knowledge for pistols to help to much.. I was down there a while ago and shot a ruger sr9 and it was pretty sweet and accurate.. He wants it in 9mm and size that is easy to carry also.. I suggested the sr9c by ruger for the fact I shot it's big brother.. What's your take on it? Also any other suggestions are welcome.. Is there a big difference in 9mm to .40 recoil? I think he would open up to a 40 also.. He carried a 38 revolver wile he was in the NYPD so this is his first semiauto..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2

Ohh forgot to add he wants to spend under 600 total with tax..

Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2726 Times on 1587 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

I have, shoot and really enjoy my Ruger SR9c! There really are not a lot of pistols that can cover the same roles that the SR9c does, all in one platform.

From a CC gun with the 10 round mag. to a sweet range/HD gun with the 17 round mag., the SR9c is an accurate, reliable weapon that your father will never regret buying.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I have, shoot and really enjoy my Ruger SR9c! There really are not a lot of pistols that can cover the same roles that the SR9c does, all in one platform. From a CC gun with the 10 round mag. to a sweet range/HD gun with the 17 round mag., the SR9c is an accurate, reliable weapon that your father will never regret buying.
That was the one thing I told him to was the ability to accept the bigger mag.. He still thinks 17+1 is overkill compared to his 6 shooter he's got now but we all know u can never have to many rounds in a gun... Unless u live in NY like me..
Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #5

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

For under $600 he can get any or the polymer wonders except hk. In my opinion if you can step up to 40 cal you should just go 45. 40 has more snap to me, although I do like this caliber, I like 45 better. The sr guns are great guns you can get in the $400-$450 range. Love my sr45. I also love my m&p9. Maybe have him look into to cz p09/07 duty guns. You can get 20 rounds of 9mm in the p09. That's awesome

Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2803 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

One thing to remember, as he get older, a firearm with the trigger setup like Glock may get too hard to pull.

I would consider a traditional double-action like the Beretta or the CZ-75.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Whatever he gets, if it's available in stainless he should go that way. Between the humidity and the sweat it's easier to keep a stainless gun in good shape.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
Whatever he gets, if it's available in stainless he should go that way. Between the humidity and the sweat it's easier to keep a stainless gun in good shape.
Good point.. Didn't even look into that

Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
One thing to remember, as he get older, a firearm with the trigger setup like Glock may get too hard to pull. I would consider a traditional double-action like the Beretta or the CZ-75.
I actually watched the video review Hickok45 has on YouTube about the sr9c and the only thing he says like 5 times is how nice the trigger is.. He seemed to really like the gun..

Old 10-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2803 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

I am thinking of when arthritis comes into play later.

What one can do now is not necessarily what can be done later.

(Also, I would look at the firearm as a possible heirloom.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)