What`s you,re favorit semi auto handgun ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What`s you,re favorit semi auto handgun ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 568 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

Colt 1911A1 Govt. Model.
Followed by my Ruger 22's

Last edited by shadecorp; 11-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I'm not sure I have a hard favorite. I like ccw pistols a lot and have many different types. Lately I've been carrying either my beretta m9 inox compact or fullsize m9. I've had a love hate thing with the m9 for decades and lately have come to really like it. I also carry xdm in 45acp and like carrying my colt lightweight commander which is currently sidelined as I lost the safety plunger spring last nite and need to order a new one.

The two guns I absolutely hate are anything from glock and the sw m&p. Although I would take a m&p over a glock if forced to pick. Hells I would take a raven or lorcin 25 over any glock....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My 1911 is my go to fun gun. Shoots great and just feels right. With that said my Model 28-2 with 4" barrel is almost as enjoyable.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #14

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I'm not sure I have a hard favorite. I like ccw pistols a lot and have many different types. Lately I've been carrying either my beretta m9 inox compact or fullsize m9. I've had a love hate thing with the m9 for decades and lately have come to really like it. I also carry xdm in 45acp and like carrying my colt lightweight commander which is currently sidelined as I lost the safety plunger spring last nite and need to order a new one.

The two guns I absolutely hate are anything from glock and the sw m&p. Although I would take a m&p over a glock if forced to pick. Hells I would take a raven or lorcin 25 over any glock....
I don't have a hard and fast favorite either, but I don't have the glock hate.

I've dealt with the Beretta before the Navy and during the last 20 years in the Navy. So it's kind of a comfortable gun just due to familiarity. I've built and repaired a couple of 1911s, so knowing them from the inside out, makes me like them too. I like the 1911 for Service Pistol Matches, because of the trigger more than anything else.

I bought my first Glock (a police trade-in, model 17) to help a couple friends get a better price on theirs. (If they bought three they were $275). I decided it would be a ok beater and platform for me to try some home smithing on with no huge investment, and if i got tired of it or if it just turned out to be a hunk of junk I could sell it for what I had in it. Turns out it was more acurate, reliable and easy to work on than I had given them credit for. I also stopped by the Glock factory in Smyrna, GA when I had TAD orders in the area, and had them go through the gun for a safety check. They updated every part in the gun, swapped out my old mags, and allowed me to choose extended slide and mag releases at no cost to me. It has become my action shooting pistol, due to it's simplicity.

I have a late 1960's Ruger Single Six, that my wife's grandfather bought new, and fired exactly one cylinder full of .22 LR ammo. He sold me the gun, a holster, teh original brick of .22 LR ammo that he bought with 6 rounds missing, and an unopened box of .22 Mag rounds and the unfired Mag cylinder, just so we would keep the gun in the family.

So, I have different favorites for different reasons.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My TWO faves- rugers sr1911 and walthers ppk/s (380).

Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

My Sig Sauer 1911 Platinum Elite and my Five-seveN.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I don't have a hard and fast favorite either, but I don't have the glock hate.

I've dealt with the Beretta before the Navy and during the last 20 years in the Navy. So it's kind of a comfortable gun just due to familiarity. I've built and repaired a couple of 1911s, so knowing them from the inside out, makes me like them too. I like the 1911 for Service Pistol Matches, because of the trigger more than anything else.

I bought my first Glock (a police trade-in, model 17) to help a couple friends get a better price on theirs. (If they bought three they were $275). I decided it would be a ok beater and platform for me to try some home smithing on with no huge investment, and if i got tired of it or if it just turned out to be a hunk of junk I could sell it for what I had in it. Turns out it was more acurate, reliable and easy to work on than I had given them credit for. I also stopped by the Glock factory in Smyrna, GA when I had TAD orders in the area, and had them go through the gun for a safety check. They updated every part in the gun, swapped out my old mags, and allowed me to choose extended slide and mag releases at no cost to me. It has become my action shooting pistol, due to it's simplicity.

I have a late 1960's Ruger Single Six, that my wife's grandfather bought new, and fired exactly one cylinder full of .22 LR ammo. He sold me the gun, a holster, teh original brick of .22 LR ammo that he bought with 6 rounds missing, and an unopened box of .22 Mag rounds and the unfired Mag cylinder, just so we would keep the gun in the family.

So, I have different favorites for different reasons.
I have concrete real reasons I despise glocks and its all based on the gun itself. Trigger is just bad its not predictable in break at all due to the extreme mushiness. I can tell when a da trigger is going to break and that makes most of those doable in accuracy. Grip angle is wrong its not a natural pointing gun. Not a fan of their barrels as its not safe to use unjacketed bullets. Sights are simply aweful and due to it not being a natural pointing gun its difficult to shoot well. The grip is a square block much bigger than it needs to be due to poor magazine design. This also compounds the difficulty in it being used for much beyound hearing it go bang.

Yes I have tried them on numerous occasions. I know my tastes in things change overtime but glock has been one of those that has not changed since I rented one the first time in the 80's. I still rent one from time time to keep familiarity with it because its prolific.

There are other small issues but those are the biggees. Unlike some I have concrete reasons, besides gaston glock being a douche, that I don't like the design. I know other folks like them and use them that's fine with me, more for you

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-18-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

I have concrete real reasons I despise glocks and its all based on the gun itself. Trigger is just bad its not predictable in break at all due to the extreme mushiness. I can tell when a da trigger is going to break and that makes most of those doable in accuracy. Grip angle is wrong its not a natural pointing gun. Not a fan of their barrels as its not safe to use unjacketed bullets. Sights are simply aweful and due to it not being a natural pointing gun its difficult to shoot well. The grip is a square block much bigger than it needs to be due to poor magazine design. This also compounds the difficulty in it being used for much beyound hearing it go bang.

Yes I have tried them on numerous occasions. I know my tastes in things change overtime but glock has been one of those that has not changed since I rented one the first time in the 80's. I still rent one from time time to keep familiarity with it because its prolific.

There are other small issues but those are the biggees. Unlike some I have concrete reasons, besides gaston glock being a douche, that I don't like the design. I know other folks like them and use them that's fine with me, more for you
All the same reasons I can't stand them. At least I do intend to get a 17 some day for range fun. 9mm with 33 round mags or even drum mags...

Hi point is honestly higher on my list of wanted acquisitions though. It would likely be a tackle box gun, one I wouldn't cry over too much if I drop it in a lake.

My favorite is the full size 1911. But I'm going to check out a hi power someday, or maybe the CZ75, and I kinda suspect I may find a new favorite when I do.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #19

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For sentimental reasons, my Colt 1911 Series 70 MkIV. For EDC, an M&P Shield or Compact 9.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

My M&P 40 is my go to gun. I'd pick it up before all my others, including my 1911 and Glock.