What are the pros and cons of the Beretta 92SF - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What are the pros and cons of the Beretta 92SF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagUdspEllr View Post
Its big, heavy, and not as realiable as other designs. I vote for the PX4 Storm. Unless you just have to have your "M9" fix.
I agree it's big, bulky and heavy but please elaborate on which other designs it is not as reliable as? Not a common complaint I have heard about the 92FS/M9.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiram View Post
I don't know why it would be much different than other guns. I shot one and a Taurus PT-92 a while back and there was a lot of problems due to the crappy (but free!) ammo we had and my hands hurt no more than they do whenever I shoot a lot. My hands have arthritis from a lot of fights as a bouncer, and working on cars/trucks, so I would have noticed the 92 being different from other guns.
Think the poster is referring to the slide mounted safety on the Beretta, the Tauras variant mounts the decocker on the frame so you don't chew up your fingers racking the slide.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

They are large for the caliber. Folks with smaller hands or sausage fingers can have some difficulty with them.

My chief complaints are
The P-38 era locking system is prone to breakage

The P-38 era locking system causes the barrel to sit high in relation to the frame. This makes it more difficult to control than a 9mm ought to be.

The alloy frame can only be detail stripped a limited number of times. The pin holes will wallow out and enlarge.

I feel Beretta was disingenuous in the way they dealt with the early slide breakage "problem".

Most if not all have non replaceable front sights integral to the slide.

The standard finish will not stand up to much abuse.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

Most, if not all, have non replaceable front sights integral to the slide.
** Without gunsmith assistance that is **

Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Think the poster is referring to the slide mounted safety on the Beretta, the Tauras variant mounts the decocker on the frame so you don't chew up your fingers racking the slide.
Exactly right JP. I chose not to respond because I did not want to come across as "overly critical" and start another "Is too!", "Is not!" debate. Thanks for jumping on that one.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I agree it's big, bulky and heavy but please elaborate on which other designs it is not as reliable as? Not a common complaint I have heard about the 92FS/M9.
It isn't as realiable as a SIG or a Glock for example. The stock magazine can't handle sand/fine grit very well compared to sig or glock mags. That is due to the phosphate coating being on the outside and inside the mags on the 92fs. Beretta released shiny mags (the same mag without the coating) to fix that issue. But now you have a shiny magazine. I believe mec gar produces great mags to fix this problem though. When I talked to some of the security forces guys at the armory they complained about stove pipes and other malfunctions during qualification (not just a one time thing... regular occurences). I was told that the M9A1 is much better but it looks to be designed the same... so I don't think reliability has really improved with the A1.

But I know it is still too big and heavy for me (for a 9mm). And, don't get me wrong, it is plenty durable (just not reliable).

Old 09-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #17

Quote:
It isn't as realiable as a SIG or a Glock for example. The stock magazine can't handle sand/fine grit very well compared to sig or glock mags. That is due to the phosphate coating being on the outside and inside the mags on the 92fs. Beretta released shiny mags (the same mag without the coating) to fix that issue. But now you have a shiny magazine. I believe mec gar produces great mags to fix this problem though. When I talked to some of the security forces guys at the armory they complained about stove pipes and other malfunctions during qualification (not just a one time thing... regular occurences). I was told that the M9A1 is much better but it looks to be designed the same... so I don't think reliability has really improved with the A1.

But I know it is still too big and heavy for me (for a 9mm). And, don't get me wrong, it is plenty durable (just not reliable).
Just to clarify, the bad mags were the ones made for Uncle Sugar by Check Mate Industries (CMI), the same folks who make the best M14 mags. The current CMI M9/92F's, Beretta, and Mec-Gar are excellent mags for the M9. And the M9/92F/S is extremely reliable. I'm not a fan of the 92's, but will not denigrate them for flaws that don't exist. Reliability of the Beretta is great, it is durability where they fall short (by design).

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Just to clarify, the bad mags were the ones made for Uncle Sugar by Check Mate Industries (CMI), the same folks who make the best M14 mags. The current CMI M9/92F's, Beretta, and Mec-Gar are excellent mags for the M9. And the M9/92F/S is extremely reliable. I'm not a fan of the 92's, but will not denigrate them for flaws that don't exist. Reliability of the Beretta is great, it is durability where they fall short (by design).
Oh hmm. I guess I got it twisted then. I don't know why they were having problems then (probably poor maintenance).

Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Oh hmm. I guess I got it twisted then. I don't know why they were having problems then (probably poor maintenance).
If the ones you used had the CMI sand proof mags,they would have lots of problems.

Plus, the M9 was designed to be disposable after a few thousand rounds so that there would always be new, serviceable pistols on hand. But they are kept in use long after their designated life span has passed.

If the springs are not kept fresh the M9 takes a beating. The frame will stretch out of spec and start to fail.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, everybody needs an M9--if only so you can shoot in national pistol matches. Carried one in the desert--have a 92FS now and it has never malfunctioned. Yes it is large, and I don't shoot it very much, but it always functions and hits what I aim at.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"