Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   What are the pros and cons of the Beretta 92SF (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/what-pros-cons-beretta-92sf-31042/)

beaglesam 08-29-2010 02:52 AM

What are the pros and cons of the Beretta 92SF

I am considering the purchase of a Beretta 92SF. I like the weight and feel of the firearm. I have a Glock 17 and a S&W M&P. I'd like to here the pros and cons for this purchase.

M14sRock 08-29-2010 03:30 AM

They are sexy, accurate and reliable. I'm not a fan, though.

They are a bit short lived (I've seen them go before 15,000 rds).
Slide mounted safeties/de-cockers chew up the hand and take a beating during recoil.
Big grip.
Keep springs fresh.
And of course a DA/SA transition.

But they shoot great, and are easy to shoot well.

Dillinger 08-29-2010 03:40 AM

Had one of the early edition ones, back when Lethal Weapon first came out.

I thought it shot great, had a good, hi cap mag and was reliable. It never treated me wrong in the sense of leaving me with a FTF or FTE.

The steel slide did wear on the aluminum frame LONG before the weapon was ready for the scrap bin though. The wear was uneven on the frame to the point where it could be seen with the naked eye. One of the reasons I am not a fan of dissimilar metals rubbing against one another. :eek:

The slide mounted safety isn't a plus in my book. It should be on the frame where it was intended to be.

The grip is wide, but it wasn't uber long to the point of not being able to wrap my hand around it.

It was a good, decent gun, but it wasn't ideal for my needs and it went on down the line for a Sig.

If you like it, if you shoot well with it, then get it and be happy. :)

Best of luck.

JD

Shihan 08-29-2010 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Inox version is sexy, The grip is a little bulky.
Attachment 18259

hemiram 08-31-2010 01:11 AM

I've shot them quite a few times over the years, and finally bought one last year.

I really like it, it shoots great, and I've never had a problem with decockers/safeties chewing up my hands. I don't know anyone who has.

M14sRock 08-31-2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemiram (Post 341685)
I've shot them quite a few times over the years, and finally bought one last year.

I really like it, it shoots great, and I've never had a problem with decockers/safeties chewing up my hands. I don't know anyone who has.

Hmm...Try doing a couple of hours of failure drills with one and see if you feel the same way.

hemiram 08-31-2010 05:45 AM

I don't know why it would be much different than other guns. I shot one and a Taurus PT-92 a while back and there was a lot of problems due to the crappy (but free!) ammo we had and my hands hurt no more than they do whenever I shoot a lot. My hands have arthritis from a lot of fights as a bouncer, and working on cars/trucks, so I would have noticed the 92 being different from other guns.

iMagUdspEllr 09-02-2010 10:38 PM

Its big, heavy, and not as realiable as other designs. I vote for the PX4 Storm. Unless you just have to have your "M9" fix.

gorknoids 09-02-2010 10:47 PM

Shot them some in the Navy, but as they replaced the 1911, I was already biased against them.

Jpyle 09-02-2010 11:13 PM

Have one...like it. Shoots nice and is cheap and easy to feed. Slide mounted safety/decocker can be tough on the fingers.