Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what is the most reliable semi auto pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
Let's get some things straight. First, my definition of a pistol jam is when the round fails to chamber for firing or the spent casing fails to eject, stopping the pistol from operating. These are both potential problems with semi auto pistols as well as rifles. This does not happen with a revolver. All firearms are capable of having mechanical failures. My point and the link to the article that I posted explains this and states that revolvers are very reliable.

I have fired thousands of rounds through semi auto and auto weapons and have had jams. Revolvers are more reliable. I'm not bashing semi auto's, I have had many over the years and have a Browning HP 9mm that has never jammed and I've also had a Walther's P32 that was prone to jamming.

I was watching a three gun competition on TV and one of the competitors had a jam with his semi auto pistol. He cleared the jam very quickly but it still cost him the win.

Jim
Ok, since we agree that the Hi Power is reliable why would I give it up to carry my S&W 19 when it is easier, holds 13 (or 14) rounds and is faster to reload? No matter what a "jam" is any malfunction in a revolver except a misfire is gonna cost more time. I have 4 good revolvers and 1 clunker so no hate here.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #102

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post
I was watching a three gun competition on TV and one of the competitors had a jam with his semi auto pistol. He cleared the jam very quickly but it still cost him the win.

Jim
Just to play devils advocate: Had he been using a revolver, would he have even had a shot having to re-load every 6 rounds?

I really love shooting my revolvers, and I understand why someone would choose to carry one, but many people feel that the extra rounds and ease of reloading makes the risk, however large or small it may be, worth it.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #103

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest225 View Post
Just to play devils advocate: Had he been using a revolver, would he have even had a shot having to re-load every 6 rounds?

I really love shooting my revolvers, and I understand why someone would choose to carry one, but many people feel that the extra rounds and ease of reloading makes the risk, however large or small it may be, worth it.
That is the trade off. It's a choice of either reliability of a revolver ( which is the topic of this thread) or larger capacity magazine of a semi auto.

Personally I think that if you can't hit the target with six tries you need a shotgun. LOL

Jim

Old 12-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #104
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2720 Times on 1870 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski
That is the trade off. It's a choice of either reliability of a revolver ( which is the topic of this thread) or larger capacity magazine of a semi auto. Personally I think that if you can't hit the target with six tries you need a shotgun. LOL Jim

My wife hits em pretty well, and she wants a 6.5" Judge 410 anyway!!! But we both have over active gun shopping syndrome...Jim, my Dad used to say the same thing about his issue 45: if you can't put em down with 7 230Gr. Bullets you need a Howitzer!(he was a Batt. Sgt. In the Korean!)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 12-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #105
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Revolver for EDC, self protection, is in my opinion as a Concealed Carry instructor, naive.

Five rounds, six, seven? Not enough fire power if you read the news. Criminals travel in packs, like wild dogs. You get singled out, and have a revolver? KYAG. Save your last round for yourself.

A person today, interested in self defence, and toating a revolver, is like a person interested in mailing a letter with a 3 cent stamp.

Train so you will never need a gun, and hope and pray you never will, but if the SHTF, and a gun is what keeps you alive, choose the best sidearm you can find. You want shock power, you want high capacity, and you want a minimum of three full high capacity magazines. You also need training on how to use your equipment.

Revolvers make good investments for personal collections, they make a poor choice for life in a city where jails are over packed, and they let bad people out on the streets to single out good folks for target practice.

Google Nikko Jenkins Omaha if you think a revolver protects you. If a family like that comes after me, I want something to protect myself.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Death-penalty-for-Nikko-Jenkins/656702957703375?id=656702957703375&refsrc=https%3A %2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpages%2FDeath-penalty-for-Nikko-Jenkins%2F656702957703375

Last edited by AR10; 12-15-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #106
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2720 Times on 1870 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
Revolver for EDC, self protection, is in my opinion as a Concealed Carry instructor, naive. Five rounds, six, seven? Not enough fire power if you read the news. Criminals travel in packs, like wild dogs. You get singled out, and have a revolver? KYAG. Save your last round for yourself. A person today, interested in self defence, and toating a revolver, is like a person interested in mailing a letter with a 3 cent stamp. Train so you will never need a gun, and hope and pray you never will, but if the SHTF, and a gun is what keeps you alive, choose the best sidearm you can find. You want shock power, you want high capacity, and you want a minimum of three full high capacity magazines. You also need training on how to use tour equipment.
AR, agree with this mostly. Instead of one, sometimes I will carry 2., esp. When my wife does not carry... Or a few Extra Mags. Her" why do you need to carry 5 magazines for you gun?" Me"not 5, 6. 1 extended, and if the BG's are still standing, 4 extra standard ones, plus the one in the gun that's also extended. 49 rds., + one in the pipe for 50,.. " But I have always carried more then normal the amt. Of spares..

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*