Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what is the most reliable semi auto pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what is the most reliable semi auto pistol

know you guy's get this question a lot but what is the most reliable semi auto pistol as far as F.T.F and F.T.E for under or around $500 i've been seriously leaning toward the SIG P250 for it's innovative design and SIG'S overall rep but with the state this country is in i would like to have a sturdy reliable pistol for survival purposes MUCH APPRECIATED

oh and accuracy would of course be an issue as well

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 183 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm not sure what's so "innovative" about the Sig P250, but...

If you want a plastic gun, start with Springfield XD, Glock, S&W M&P, and FN. If you want a plastic gun and like Sig, look into the model 2022. Bud's had them for $399 last I looked, and I'd take that everyday over a P250.

Without concealed carry being a factor: Some of the best handguns you can get for $500 or so would be a CZ 75b, a used Sig P220/226/228/229, a new/used Ruger 357 revolver, one of the polymer staples (listed above), or (if you have large hands) a Beretta 92...and I like them in approximately that order, given your stated use.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, for around that price range Ruger, Glock, Sig Saurer, Beretta, and there are a few others. A good portion of the reliability lies with the ammunition used. Just recently a member was having problems with his Glock 17 stove piping and we discovered it was just an ammunition issue and not the firearm.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I'm not sure what's so "innovative" about the Sig P250, but...

If you want a plastic gun, start with Springfield XD, Glock, S&W M&P, and FN. If you want a plastic gun and like Sig, look into the model 2022. Bud's had them for $399 last I looked, and I'd take that everyday over a P250.

Without concealed carry being a factor: Some of the best handguns you can get for $500 or so would be a CZ 75b, a used Sig P220/226/228/229, a new/used Ruger 357 revolver, one of the polymer staples (listed above), or (if you have large hands) a Beretta 92...and I like them in approximately that order, given your stated use.
I appreciate the info. but since your reply had somewhat of a sarcastic tone [or maybe i'm just feeling a little defensive] i'll explain why i feel the design is innovative.

1. the trigger is the gun

2. it is a modular pistol that allows the shooter to change caliber and grip size at will. One gun that adapts to perfectly fit any individual’s hand size, shooting style, and purpose.

and thats something that only PLASTIC [polymer] guns can do.

but like i said thanks for the comment

Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleoneeye9381 View Post
know you guy's get this question a lot but what is the most reliable semi auto pistol as far as F.T.F and F.T.E for under or around $500 i've been seriously leaning toward the SIG P250 for it's innovative design and SIG'S overall rep but with the state this country is in i would like to have a sturdy reliable pistol for survival purposes MUCH APPRECIATED

oh and accuracy would of course be an issue as well
There are some great options in that price range. I can tell you first hand i love my Ruger SR9c! I picked it up for 499 at Gander Mountain. It comes with rear adjustable sights, 1911 style safety, trigger safety, striker block, magazine disconnect, striker status indicator and loaded chamber indicator making it a very safe option. I've put 300 rounds through mine without one hiccup. My sights were dead on from the box but i've heard some peeps have had to adjust their sights out of the box. It's light, slim and balanced very well with loaded mags. The trigger is beautiful with a very crisp and clean break. I've never fired a Glock but i have fondled and dry fired a few and i will say the trigger is very similar to a Glock but imho just a tad bit nicer (sorry Glockers haha). Mine came with a 17 round mag with extension as well as a ten round mag with a finger groove base plate as well as a standard base plate so you can set it for your preference. Heres a pic

Recoil is a non issue making it a very smooth shooter.

Some other options in that price range would be S&W M&P line, Springfields standard XD, and Gen 3 Glocks. I don't know about your area but i will tell you in Minnesota, finding even a used Glock for under 550 is rare and its for obvious reasons, they have a great reputation and are proven reliable guns.

I have fondled S&W M&P's as well as shot my buddies .40 cal. They are well built handguns with some nice options, i love the slide serrations as they are very grippy but dont tear up your hand. Only major complaint i have with them is the trigger reset, just does not appeal to me but thats my opinion so dont hesitate to check one out yourself.

I've also had some trigger time with my buddies Springfield XD9 which is another well built, smooth shooter. Biggest complaint i've seen so far with the XD's is that alot of people are upset that they are made in Croatia. It's not the most pretty gun on the block but it gets the job done. The trigger has a nice break imo and i happen to like it. Not sure how i feel about the grip safety but it works and thats what matters. Feels really good in my hands and i was very accurate with it.

Glocks, not much needs to be said other than they are ugly workhorses that go bang, eject spent shell, rack a fresh round and repeat every time you pull the trigger. Some find the grips to be awkward i for one did not mind it, certainly was not the best grip but it would be shootable for me.

Anyways bottom line is in the end you have to make the decision of what you like and what appeals to you, those are just some options i would recommend so do your own research. Go to the gun shops, fondle the hell out of them, maybe find a place that will allow you to dry fire them (just make sure you ask first, lot of shops frown on it but i can tell you Gander Mountain is usually ok with it). Then when you narrow down but are not comfortable buying without firing it, try and find a range that rents them and test drive one. Good luck to you on your search and enjoy!

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #6

Just like everyone else I have 3 rugers and they are all wonderful guns I have no issues with any of mine. Very good quality and if your aim is true then you should have no problems on target for 1000s of rounds. The price is also very good and to top it all off made in america. Well now that I sound like a ruger spokesperson I'll jump off now lol

Old 07-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts

The most reliable pistol is one that goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

I'm sure there are pages and pages of "The Most Reliable" on this forum.

Last edited by JohnJak; 07-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

My vote would definitely be the Glock or the Springfield XD in your specified price range. Only thing on the XD the factory could stand to put a little better trigger pull on the pistol. But definitely reliable and well built. You can have the factory do a trigger job on it for you but costs a little more. But they do a great job.
Good luck on your selection.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

I've always had good luck with the 1911 platform after break in period.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

Great Post!