What is a good pocket pistol? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What is a good pocket pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The LCP and P3AT are too hard to shoot. I had both and went to a Sig P238 with a 7 round mag 380. It is actually a pleasure to shoot. The P938 is a 9mm and is not much bigger and would pocket carry. I use a DeSantis Super Fly. Also have a Remora for iwb. I carry a J frame revolver in 38spl +P in my pocket when I am hiking.
I have heard this before but still have a hard time believing it. I own LCP - n agree w you 100%. The 238 is heavier but does a few ounces transform a CC into a range pistol ?

I w have spent the extra $$$ - still might follow your example but I have issues w carrying a pocket pistol locked n cocked in my pocket - too close to family jewels. .

I also have j-frame but it is not rated for 38 P+. Recoil in alloy frame must be memorable.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would have named this "What is a good 'Pocketable' gun?" A pocket gun should disappear in a pocket and is usually limited to 0380 and smaller. That said, I can fit my Beretta Nano 9mm in a pocket as long as it is large enough. It does pull at my pants and prints a little. Usually, I drop a .380 pistol or a Smith & Wesson 642 in my pocket.

The XDS is by no means a "pocket gun". I would just go ahead and carry a Glock 26 or 27. There are plenty of 9mm out there though.

-Beretta Nano
-Sig Sauer P290
-Kimber Solo
-Kel-Tec PF-9
-Ruger LC9
-Sig Sauer P938

Just pick your poison. Personally, I would go with either the Beretta Nano or the Sig Sauer P290.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #23

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I have heard this before but still have a hard time believing it. I own LCP - n agree w you 100%. The 238 is heavier but does a few ounces transform a CC into a range pistol ?
The things that make the Sig a more shootable pistol is not just the extra weight, but also the trigger reach (being a more natural distance tthan the LCP), the fact that it has real honest to God sights, and a much more shootable trigger. Bore axis is also a tad lower. It just all comes together as a more shooter friendly pistol.

As far as your concerns about pocket carry and a single action auto, I can understand the concern. DOn't know that I've gotten past that one myself. But the Sig is indeed a pretty pleasant shooter compared to the P3AT or the LCP.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #24

Liked 1131 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 740

I agree with the DOC, the Sig is fine to shoot. I have only shot it once, but there were no problems as far as comfort. It does have nice sights. I'd have no problem calling it a range gun, or a pocket gun, provided you wear pants with oversize pockets. I wear those Carhartt carpenters pants a lot, that'd work. I doubt regular tighter jeans would, though.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The things that make the Sig a more shootable pistol is not just the extra weight, but also the trigger reach (being a more natural distance tthan the LCP), the fact that it has real honest to God sights, and a much more shootable trigger. Bore axis is also a tad lower. It just all comes together as a more shooter friendly pistol.

As far as your concerns about pocket carry and a single action auto, I can understand the concern. DOn't know that I've gotten past that one myself. But the Sig is indeed a pretty pleasant shooter compared to the P3AT or the LCP.
I suppose I'll have to hang out at the range more & hope some nice guy brings one so I can shoot it. Shooting is believing ! P938 is less than an ounce heavier unloaded.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #26

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I agree with the DOC, the Sig is fine to shoot. I have only shot it once, but there were no problems as far as comfort. It does have nice sights. I'd have no problem calling it a range gun, or a pocket gun, provided you wear pants with oversize pockets. I wear those Carhartt carpenters pants a lot, that'd work. I doubt regular tighter jeans would, though.
I carry larger and heavier guns than the p938 in straight 505s. The only pants one wouldn't want to wear pocket carrying are skinny jeans. Other than that comfort and concealability are non issues.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-27-2012 at 04:16 AM.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #27

Huh. I'm having enough trouble as it is just managing the P938. I carried it out on some errands yesterday, and it poked me in the gut and under the ribs most of the time. Standing is not bad, but sitting down or bending over makes it stab. Also, when I sit down, it feels like it needs to be re-positioned, twisted more to the back. This was with pants several sizes too big, and a Blackhawk Inside the pants holster. I've been told part of my problem is my weight. I'm 5'9", and 140#. LGS said that slightly porkier people have less trouble, because they have more padding.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Huh. I'm having enough trouble as it is just managing the P938. I carried it out on some errands yesterday, and it poked me in the gut and under the ribs most of the time. Standing is not bad, but sitting down or bending over makes it stab. Also, when I sit down, it feels like it needs to be re-positioned, twisted more to the back. This was with pants several sizes too big, and a Blackhawk Inside the pants holster. I've been told part of my problem is my weight. I'm 5'9", and 140#. LGS said that slightly porkier people have less trouble, because they have more padding.
I would think it opposite, bigger means more skin to be touching the gun and finding ways into openings that will pinch and poke. I wouldn't know, just seems logical. I'm 6'1"and 175lbs lean.

I pocket carry because I found the same as you, that waistline carry does not work. Worse than simply uncomfortable it hurts and is impossible to sit without it showing, popping out, or breaking skin and causing bleeding.

I seriously don't know how anyone carries anything other than pocket or open.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #29

Yeah, it sounds like we have about the same build, you're just a little taller. Doesn't pocket carry end up getting a lot of lint and junk into the gun? I constantly have crap in my pockets, whether it's from work, or my wood shop. Actually, this gun/holster combo is the 1st for me, I'd like to hear other suggestions. What holster do you use?

To be honest, a shoulder holster that puts the gun right under your arm sounds like the most comfortable to me, but for the summer, that would obviously not work.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like we have about the same build, you're just a little taller. Doesn't pocket carry end up getting a lot of lint and junk into the gun? I constantly have crap in my pockets, whether it's from work, or my wood shop. Actually, this gun/holster combo is the 1st for me, I'd like to hear other suggestions. What holster do you use?

To be honest, a shoulder holster that puts the gun right under your arm sounds like the most comfortable to me, but for the summer, that would obviously not work.
Lint... Very little to none, and i'm the warned against holsterless carrier. I also carry SAO in condition 2, warned against. But I don't ever put or get anything in my pockets other than my hands and I wash my pants inside out... No lint or dust to speak of.

When I did try holsters I did the Remora, an uncle mikes IWB, a shoulder harness, a belly band, and a generic leather OWB. Hated them all. I attempted the Remora both waist and pocket. Didn't enjoy wrestling it out of my pocket at the end of the day and refuse to use something with a trigger guard when my gun isn't cocked. I loathe trigger guards, they make it impossible in pocket carry to draw without having to readjust once it's out and by then bang you're dead, bad guy wins.

Nope its holster free for me.