Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What is a good handgun to keep in the car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I keep a kel tec pf9 in my truck. Cheap but a pretty good gun

Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #42

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

So much wrong with all of your post. The gun will not melt. You should never leave your gun on the seat. Your girlfriend should know better and if she doesn't that problem will take care of itself. And 200 degrees? Explain again how you're going to be able to handle a steel gun that is hotter than scrambled eggs?

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #43

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Ive already explained its more than one girl and ive already bought a vault.this thread has been over for a while now.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #44

I have a Glock 19 and a Bond Arms .45ACP in everyone of my vehicles.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #45

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I was always told that the best Safety is " Between your Ears."

Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 37

After the first read, my thought was, "--- besides the one on my hip?" Around here, my worry is the temperature fluctuations and condensation so something so either SS or melanite (sp?) coated.

Probably shouldn't say, but, I like deer - hunting and to watch. It is legal to flash 'um 'til 10PM if you have no firearms and it's not season. LEOs are a pretty good bunch so, most won't hassle with a 2/3" but larger who knows. You can run into---.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #47

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

For long distance trips I usually bring my S&W .38 Chief Spec. because of it's size and sometimes I carry a (don't laugh) .38 derringer that is easily concealed almost anywhere on your person regardless of your attire.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #48

Default car handgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I own a glock 19 but it doesn't really have a safety on it. I dont have a ccw permit yet, so it feels a little awkward open carrying sometimes. i dont like the attention, while im pumping gas i will leave it in the car and go and get snacks but im always worried my girlfriends will get curios and pick it up take it out of the holster and not know a round is chambered and have an accidental discharge also the interior of a car in mid july reaches about 200 degrees and im worried about my glock polymer melting i know it sounds silly but ive heard it can happen in the arizona dessert and i just want to be safe. so basically im looking for a gun thats almost like a glock, has a safety, made of steel and is capable of holding 17 rounds or more and be under 700$ any suggestions will be much apreciated
A gun that might work for you is an Astra A-100. It's a copy of a SIG 226, except it has a steel frame. It has a Hammer drop safety and 17 rnd mag. And it's cheap. That being said, a good car gun is a revolver. No 'cocked and locked' no hot cases flying around inside the car and getting lost (up until it's exhibit A in your road rage trial) No racking the slide, no stove-pipe, no jam. If you cant do the job with 6....17 won't make much more difference than more noise.
PS You already have a permit, it's the Second Amendment. When you carry keep your 'nose clean' (don't be an idiot)......Oh, don't show or tell your friends you are carrying. Drop a nice little .38 snubby in your pocket and go get gas and a snack.
brotherobert

Old 07-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #49

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I own a glock 19 but it doesn't really have a safety on it. I dont have a ccw permit yet, so it feels a little awkward open carrying sometimes. i dont like the attention, while im pumping gas i will leave it in the car and go and get snacks but im always worried my girlfriends will get curios and pick it up take it out of the holster and not know a round is chambered and have an accidental discharge also the interior of a car in mid july reaches about 200 degrees and im worried about my glock polymer melting i know it sounds silly but ive heard it can happen in the arizona dessert and i just want to be safe. so basically im looking for a gun thats almost like a glock, has a safety, made of steel and is capable of holding 17 rounds or more and be under 700$ any suggestions will be much apreciated
If you live im AZ you don't have to worry about carrying concealed w/o a ccw. AZ did away w/ that requirement several years ago. I carry concealed all the time & feel exposed when I have to carry openly.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #50

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodeman View Post
For long distance trips I usually bring my S&W .38 Chief Spec. because of it's size and sometimes I carry a (don't laugh) .38 derringer that is easily concealed almost anywhere on your person regardless of your attire.
I own an older model Colt Chiefs model .38 & have often thought about making a holster for it to carry concealed it's probably a lot lighter than my.45 & I think the .38 is a stronger load than the 9mm.