What is a good handgun to keep in the car? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

What is a good handgun to keep in the car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3259 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I own a glock 19 but it doesn't really have a safety on it. I dont have a ccw permit yet, so it feels a little awkward open carrying sometimes. i dont like the attention, while im pumping gas i will leave it in the car and go and get snacks but im always worried my girlfriends will get curios and pick it up take it out of the holster and not know a round is chambered and have an accidental discharge also the interior of a car in mid july reaches about 200 degrees and im worried about my glock polymer melting i know it sounds silly but ive heard it can happen in the arizona dessert and i just want to be safe. so basically im looking for a gun thats almost like a glock, has a safety, made of steel and is capable of holding 17 rounds or more and be under 700$ any suggestions will be much apreciated
Either train your girlfriends how to properly handle (or not handle) a firearm or find others that you can train.
AFAIK, once you get into metal frames, there really isn't a "pistol almost like a Glock." As for a gun you can leave in the car, an old used pawn shop pistol. I'd go CZ75 or may a Witness. Though your 17 (or more?) round requirement might be a challenge. Say...what's the Glock 19's mag capacity?

Frankly, I've always had the view that you should never leave anything in a car you really want to see again. Same goes for checked baggage, btw.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #32

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Case closed! i bought a mini vault and it fits. now nobody in my vehicle can get to it but me. And i dont have to try to hide it from my dates and it complies with the law because its locked and in a separate compartment and under the seat,in my state the laws says it cant be concealed and easily accessible without a ccw. Im not worried about the glocks frame melting since its covered and insulated and i don't need a new car gun the glock is fine i just cant fit the extra 17 round mags in the vault but thats okay 15 rounds is fine thanks guys for the idea you where lots of help
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #33

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Get a good old Hi Point 9mm, break it in well, polish the feed ramp and it will be dependable.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
Get a good old Hi Point 9mm, break it in well, polish the feed ramp and it will be dependable.
And leave it in plain sight and nobody will steal it! lol j/k
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #35

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna

Now that's funny!!!!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #36

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Haha yes that is funny i wouldnt want a cheap pistol that will jam up on me when i need it the most!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Haha yes that is funny i wouldnt want a cheap pistol that will jam up on me when i need it the most!
the Hi-Point may be cheap, but they tend to work quite well and so far have a fairly solid reputation, due to the excellent warranty and the great customer service department.

and BTW, their pistols are pretty danged reliable and pretty dang tough. watch some of the YouTube videos of people trying to wreck them. might change your opinion about them.

they have their bad points, such as being ugly and top heavy and kind of blocky feeling in the hand, but rest assured, that if used against a BG, he won't be able to tell the difference of a $200 Hi-Point in 45 or a $2000 1911 in 45!
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #38

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
That reminds me of the joke about the Piper who goes grocery shopping.... Without thinking he parks his car leaving his bagpipes in the back seat out in plain sight and goes into the store. Halfway through his shopping he suddenly realizes what he's done!! He bolts out of the store leaving a half full cart in the isles only to reach his car too late !!... Someone has already broken into the vehicle.....
...and left a SECOND set of bagpipes in there!!
People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

When I lived in FL and had my CCP, I kept a S&W M1917 in my JEEP Cherokee.
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #40

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I keep a $100 FIE .22 revolver under my truck seat in a gun sock.