What is a good handgun to keep in the car? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

What is a good handgun to keep in the car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5742 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
So is leaving it in your car when you are in a store, etc.
Handy container for such situations: http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-NanoVault-Combination-Lock/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373580818&sr=8-1&keywords=nanosafe

Permit-free car carry in MS means my firearm will be in my car unsupervised at times, but not usually for more than 20 minutes. This basic box should keep somebody busy for that long, unless they remembered the bolt cutters for the cable.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6753 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Handy container for such situations: http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300-NanoVault-Combination-Lock/dp/B003841ZBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373580818&sr=8-1&keywords=nanosafe

Permit-free car carry in MS means my firearm will be in my car unsupervised at times, but not usually for more than 20 minutes. This basic box should keep somebody busy for that long, unless they remembered the bolt cutters for the cable.
My dad uses something like that with the box bolted to the frame inside the trunk.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3734 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
I own a glock 19 but it doesn't really have a safety on it. I dont have a ccw permit yet, so it feels a little awkward open carrying sometimes. i dont like the attention, while im pumping gas i will leave it in the car and go and get snacks but im always worried my girlfriends will get curios and pick it up take it out of the holster and not know a round is chambered and have an accidental discharge also the interior of a car in mid july reaches about 200 degrees and im worried about my glock polymer melting i know it sounds silly but ive heard it can happen in the arizona dessert and i just want to be safe. so basically im looking for a gun thats almost like a glock, has a safety, made of steel and is capable of holding 17 rounds or more and be under 700$ any suggestions will be much apreciated
I agree 100% with the idea of giving your girlfriend some basic awareness of firearm safety. She shouldn't be around it if you don't already trust her to be around it.

That being said, take a look at the Ruger SR9. I've never shot one, but I've heard nothing but great things from everyone who owns one or who has rented one. And they meet all your parameters, I believe.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #14

Liked 588 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You have the gun you need, the best safety is between the ears.. Like already said, teach her the basics and go from there. Leaving two windows slightly cracked and the bent controls on vent can/will help circulate air. It won't reach temps line that unless in direct sunlight(the gun)

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10382 Times on 5539 Posts
Likes Given: 22240

It is not just one girl. This is a woman talking about her friends being passengers. Doesn't change much, though.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #16

Liked 844 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

1) Get a carry/conceal permit if allowed where you are and keep in on your person.... 2) get some smarter friends. Stupid people will get you killed faster than anything.

...as to your last question... RUGER SR or P series highly recommended; http://www.ruger.com/index.html

Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #17

Liked 1144 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I own a glock 19 but it doesn't really have a safety on it. I dont have a ccw permit yet, so it feels a little awkward open carrying sometimes. i dont like the attention, while im pumping gas i will leave it in the car and go and get snacks but im always worried my girlfriends will get curios and pick it up take it out of the holster and not know a round is chambered and have an accidental discharge also the interior of a car in mid july reaches about 200 degrees and im worried about my glock polymer melting i know it sounds silly but ive heard it can happen in the arizona dessert and i just want to be safe. so basically im looking for a gun thats almost like a glock, has a safety, made of steel and is capable of holding 17 rounds or more and be under 700$ any suggestions will be much apreciated
You have multiple basket kittens, untrained in firearms you allow to gun sit as you cat around pumping gas and grabing munchies. Well, doesn't that paint a wonderful pitcher. (Not a typo)

ASAP, get into a firearms safety class in your area. Now, right now, dump these letters in you tube, firearm safety. Start watching, with your harem.

Polimers in your Glock are better at heat resistance than the plastics in your car. It will not do a oz witch disappear routine.

It is extremely unwise to leave an unsecured firearm in your car, for even ten seconds. At the box store, pick up a small gun safe and mount it in your car. Use it.

Round chambered? Open your owners manual and avail yourself with the guidelines offered by Glock for clambering a round for civilian carry. It is not recommend.

You and your friends are in far more danger from your own gun, than you are from the high crime rates in your state, sounds to me like.

Last edited by AR10; 07-12-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #18

Liked 3307 Times on 1877 Posts
Likes Given: 2384

I didn't get a CC permit primarily for CC.

1. To ease wait restrictions when purchasing a firearm

out of town.

2. So I wouldn't have to leave my pistol in the car...

Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #19

Liked 3634 Times on 2073 Posts
Likes Given: 2531

Leaving a loaded weapon, of any kind, in a car that is not secured against theft or accidental discharge is a very bad idea.

Install a lock box that is cabled securely to the seat or frame of your vehicle, and/or lock it in the trunk, when you exit the vehicle.

You are creating bad habits that can come back to bite you real hard someday!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #20

Liked 84 Times on 67 Posts

Yes its more than one woman lol its multiple girlfriends and alot of them dont know i even carry one. and the ones that do ive already told them and we have been shooting im dating alot and i dont think i should tell my date i carry on the first couple of dates lol the middle console is just high enough so it cant be seen from the passenger side id rather let her get to know me then tell her this day and age people see guns as evil or bad or think ur a creep or wannabe mr hero! Lol so im just going to buy a concealable safe and bolt it down in my car or get a mount that locks or a mini vault that i can open with only my key thanks guys theres one on amazon i like

Last edited by hq357; 07-12-2013 at 07:31 PM.