What are good ammunition manufacturers? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What are good ammunition manufacturers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
As far as ammo goes....I shoot Federal. Nothing but.

I don't live in Illinois, but darned close and I work with a lot of folks who do. The great state (loose definition) of Illinois still has draconian views on guns and gun control, driven primarily by the communist metropolis known as Chicago. It is the last and only state that doesn't have a provision for concealed carry. You cannot have a gun on you at all. Period. And the only way you can have a gun in your car is unloaded and it must be cased. And it can't be "readily accessible". In other words...in the trunk. And you must have a valid state FOID (Firearms Owner Identification) card in order to be in possession of a gun anywhere. Also, here in Missouri the gun laws are mandated state wide. The law is the same everywhere in the state. Not so in Illinois. County and local law can supersede the state. So even if you do have a gun locked in the trunk of your car, which is OK with the state, you may encounter a municipality somewhere that doesn't allow even that.

As to defending yourself in your home, you can, under a very strict set of restrictions. They don't have a castle law over there. So you must retreat and attempt to escape first. And it has to be clearly demonstrated that the invader actually intends to kill you or do great bodily harm.
Yeah it sucks, I'm praying this changes some day soon.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #22

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It is going to take the good people of Illinois to force changes!

This will be a grass roots movement and I wish you all the best. I would never consider living or having a business there, corporate taxes to high and to much government corruption!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #23

I would suggest picking up a few different kinds of ammo and trying them through your gun. I have personaly run magtech fmj, remington umc fmj, federal match fmj, tula ammo fmj, hornady critical deffense jhp, and federal hydrashock jhp through my brand new Walther PPQ .40s&w, and was very surprised at the differences. Personal deffense im sticking with Hornady, but for range ammo the biggest surprise was tula...reduced recoil, helped me to be a lot more accurate. Just my 2 cents.

I can't fix stupid!!
-Walther PPQ 40 s&w-edc
-Mossberg 590, 8+1 shot, 12 gauge-home defense

Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

aimsurplus.com is the site I use especially for bulk ammunition. I would go with Winchester for all handgun ammunition

Old 03-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #25

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I really like Federal ammo from Walmart. It's usually their least expensive offering in any caliber, and the most consistent.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895
I really like Federal ammo from Walmart. It's usually their least expensive offering in any caliber, and the most consistent.
+1 great target ammo and same price as the cheap Russian ammo. At Walmart.

Rain, snow or sleet.... Mud, sand and dirt.... My GLOCK will work ;)

Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #27

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

I read an article in guns mag awhile back about factory ammo. The moral of the story is even factory ammo (most major manufactures) ships out an occasional stinker. No powder, dbl powder, bullet upside down, missing or upside down primer, etc.. Always inspect all ammo!

Feral cat waterboarder