What are good ammunition manufacturers? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What are good ammunition manufacturers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

PMC is primarily used by me for both target and carry.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks guys, it's good to know what ammo is better used at a range and what is better used for self defense, but I'm not too worried about ammo I would use for self-defense since I live in Illinois and we are not allowed to conceal and carry at all.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Jack: good to hear you got the info needed, however some unsolicited info, leave Illinois

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So are the laws more strict in IL to conceal carry or is it not allowed at all?

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts

What is the ammo for?

just plain range shooting or competition?

If competition, then get a box or two of three or four different brands and test them. Compare the groups and remember if there have been any feeding or strike problems.

I shoot hand loades 9mm rounds this year for competition and was quite happy with that, because they mostly fire softer then factory loads.
But it also depends what pistol you have and how the different ammo works with that pistol.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try living in NJ. It's only been a few yrs that retired cops can carry forget about a civilian carrying a conceled weapon.As far as ammo try www.luckygunner.com. bulk ammo at great prices and lots of reviews.

Last edited by Junior966; 01-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofTrades View Post
Thanks guys, it's good to know what ammo is better used at a range and what is better used for self defense, but I'm not too worried about ammo I would use for self-defense since I live in Illinois and we are not allowed to conceal and carry at all.
The state of Illinois will allow you to defend yourself in your home won't they?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborden1122 View Post
So are the laws more strict in IL to conceal carry or is it not allowed at all?
For civilians are not allowed to conceal and carry at all. I believe people who hold jobs in law enforcement are allowed to have a gun in their car, but not too sure about on their person. I would have to read up on the laws to be 100% sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
What is the ammo for?

just plain range shooting or competition?

If competition, then get a box or two of three or four different brands and test them. Compare the groups and remember if there have been any feeding or strike problems.

I shoot hand loades 9mm rounds this year for competition and was quite happy with that, because they mostly fire softer then factory loads.
But it also depends what pistol you have and how the different ammo works with that pistol.
Right now I plan on just using it for the range, when I have more time on my hands, which will probably be after school when I'm home and with my gun, I hope to do competitions.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #19

Personally I like the Remington UMC 180gr FMJ for the range & Remington Golden Saber 165gr JHP or Cor Bon Self-Defense 165gr JHP for personal protection. I have also used Wolf in the past, oh my prefered caliber is 40S&W.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As far as ammo goes....I shoot Federal. Nothing but.

I don't live in Illinois, but darned close and I work with a lot of folks who do. The great state (loose definition) of Illinois still has draconian views on guns and gun control, driven primarily by the communist metropolis known as Chicago. It is the last and only state that doesn't have a provision for concealed carry. You cannot have a gun on you at all. Period. And the only way you can have a gun in your car is unloaded and it must be cased. And it can't be "readily accessible". In other words...in the trunk. And you must have a valid state FOID (Firearms Owner Identification) card in order to be in possession of a gun anywhere. Also, here in Missouri the gun laws are mandated state wide. The law is the same everywhere in the state. Not so in Illinois. County and local law can supersede the state. So even if you do have a gun locked in the trunk of your car, which is OK with the state, you may encounter a municipality somewhere that doesn't allow even that.

As to defending yourself in your home, you can, under a very strict set of restrictions. They don't have a castle law over there. So you must retreat and attempt to escape first. And it has to be clearly demonstrated that the invader actually intends to kill you or do great bodily harm.

Last edited by Paladin201; 01-02-2012 at 02:55 PM.