What don't you like about YOUR states handgun laws? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

What don't you like about YOUR states handgun laws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't like that I have to pay $140 for the privilege of concealed carry and I don't like that even if I have paid the fee and received my CHL I may not carry on college campuses (among other forbidden places).

"If some monster tries to rape or murder a woman I care about, I donít want him to see the flickering light of a candle. I want him to see a muzzle flash, from the front." -- Massad Ayoob

Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1618 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Actually if i was your LEO friend i would be highly upset your telling this on a social site, due to the fact that it is not permitted, unless the officer is doing it, and is in capacity of his duties....... So if you have a friend that does this, keep it to yourself, it could come back to bite both of you in the rear.....

Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Oh great, now they expect you to git sum lernin in ms. to cary a gun. Serious, what about the new permit.
Nah, the regular permit (no training required) is still available, just not as good.
Firearms Permit Unit

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #24

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

10/4 but I think it is local policy of the chief. Advice taken.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Some of you other Mississippi folks may disagree with me, but I think our private sale laws are too lax.

You cannot KNOWINGLY sell privately to someone who is under 18 or intoxicated.

I've sold 2 guns privately, I checked for ccw permit both times. This lets me know that a person has at least had a background check sometime fairly recently, and have been deemed good to go.

The age constraint I have no problem with, it's the possibility of unknowingly selling to a habitual criminal that worries me.

I would change it to "selling only to ccw permit holders", and I would allow 18 year olds to get a permit, after all, they're allowed to fight, die, and vote for our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's all true, and I trust my spidey senses more than most, but some of us don't have ready access to a LEO who will run a social for us, and as per my own preferences, I don't care for keeping records. A ccw permit is confiscated I believe, if a person ever has their carry right revoked, so a current carry card SHOULD denote someone who is legit.
I worry that doing more than is required by law as a policy could lead to changes in the law in the longterm. Any background check is unconstitutional and a violation of the 2A. I can pass one and wouldn't knowingly sell a firearm to somebody who wouldn't, but i avoid them when possible. Of course, i've never sold a firearm; i get too attached.

I do have a cz52 that i may sell to a friend who i know well; he will hand me cash as i hand him a pistol and ammo, no paperwork. When i bought it, same deal. If it becomes "standard operating procedures" for individuals to run all personal sales through an FFL to get the NCIC check, that may well become law. Remember, seatbelts were once optional too.

The local sheriff's office will often tell you if the firearm has been reported stolen, and that is all i need to know when buying.

Only time i have ever been worried was when a buddy with a felony record asked me to pick up his recovered SKS from the local police. He knew he couldn't pick it up, but neither of us was sure if he could sell it to me legally. It was a beatup Yugo recovered as part of a drug operation closure/seizure, so we let them keep it and laughed at the time the thief was gonna do off all the stuff siezed.

Last edited by orangello; 12-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #26

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Everyones "comfort level " is different. SEN. CHUCK SHUMER dem. NY. Has introduced a bill that all sales will have a background check nationwide. So that would end private sales like described above. I haven't figured out how to put alink on site yet. Google for yourself. So trip I guess your in good company.bahaha.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #27

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Texas' gun laws aren't too bad, but to me, "shall not be infringed" means no hoops to jump through, no licenses, permits, fees, etc., etc.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #28

I live in Boston... What's a handgun? Those short guns that only cops are allowed to even look at? You need a congressional writ to carry license here, and forget a rifle that takes a mag altogether

Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth
Everyones "comfort level " is different. SEN. CHUCK SHUMER dem. NY. Has introduced a bill that all sales will have a background check nationwide. So that would end private sales like described above. I haven't figured out how to put alink on site yet. Google for yourself. So trip I guess your in good company.bahaha.
Yeah. And narcotic sales are illegal too. They'll just "Create" more criminals.

--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #30

"shall not be infringed" is pretty much ignored in massachusette