what do you prefer if you just had one?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > what do you prefer if you just had one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what do you prefer if you just had one?

strobe light or laser?? why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Light because you have to be able to see. And a bullet will pretty much land in the middle of the main beam of a weapon mounted light up close. So really its a 2 for 1 with a light.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5625 Times on 2940 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Neither.

A flashlight is a tactical too like your firearm and should be held in your offhand if you need one.

If your light is on your gun in a self defense situation you need to point your gun at loved ones to assess health or injury status. If its attached you need to manipulate the firearm to remove it to use it without pointing the gun. If its mounted to the gun it cant easily be used as a thrown object.

I prefer to set the light down shining down theexpected qpproach point without holding it letting the goblin know where i actually am. This way he can shoot at the light source and i can defend from safety while waiting for the police.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm going to shoot the flashlight and you better hope it's not mounted to your weapon or you're history. Strobes are for disco.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5686 Times on 3213 Posts
Likes Given: 5076

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Neither.

A flashlight is a tactical too like your firearm and should be held in your offhand if you need one.

If your light is on your gun in a self defense situation you need to point your gun at loved ones to assess health or injury status. If its attached you need to manipulate the firearm to remove it to use it without pointing the gun. If its mounted to the gun it cant easily be used as a thrown object.

I prefer to set the light down shining down theexpected qpproach point without holding it letting the goblin know where i actually am. This way he can shoot at the light source and i can defend from safety while waiting for the police.
+1

All points well taken!

Winston Churchill

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A laser. It should never replace training, but unless you've put hundreds of hours & thousands upon thousands of rounds downrange with your carry/SD gun, you just don't know what you'll do when a life-or-death situation arises. Even cops with that much training sometimes end up pointing the gun & pulling the trigger till it's empty. A laser that comes on when you grip the gun could give you a better chance of making some shots count. Still, I'd recommend training about 75% with the laser off or covered.

The minuses of a gun-mounted light have probably been covered well enough...

Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Liked 412 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

i like just a standard surefire light handheld not mounted on my gun

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You can buy a Laserspeed tac light with a green laser. It will strobe with the laser shining.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am with John M on this one. A gun-mounted light violates one of the rules of safety -- you are pointing your piece at things that you do not necessarily intend to shoot. I am a big fan of lasers -- under certain conditions (i.e. short to intermediate range, lower light conditions) a laser is an excellent supplemental sight system.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygoogle View Post
I'm going to shoot the flashlight and you better hope it's not mounted to your weapon or you're history. Strobes are for disco.
What makes you think you would ever get that shot off. If someone with a weapon mounted light has the light on you and your in a hostile situation than what makes you think you have enough of a jump to shoot the light without being already shot ?

There are valid arguments for both methods and both methods can be trained properly. As far as triaging family member’s wounds or whatever, most lights have enough spill to do that without pointing the gun ….that’s if you feel you have to do it while the threat is still there.
To me setting your light on the ground isn’t the best idea because you just lost possession of it. In low or no light you shouldn’t be using a light for anything other than target ID, not triage and not navigation. A weapon mounted light should only be momentary on/off. That’s method I put stock in anyway, not saying any method is right or wrong just a different point of view