Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What do you guys think of the Beretta 92?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What do you guys think of the Beretta 92?

I was at the local sporting goods store not too long ago, looking for a Desert Eagle holster(yes, I had an ill conceived notion to carry the DE), and I handled a Beretta 92. I wanted to get the model chambered in .40 smith(which I think is a different model, but the one they had is similar to the 92). I'm still somewhat unsure about the 9mm as a defensive weapon, so I got my heart set on the .40. The gun felt good in my hands, and I actually shot a 92 a long time ago, but I don't remember how it shoots etc. Opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have fired the BHP, the Glock 17 and personally I really like my M9A1. It is, now, the most accurate 9mm I have ever shot. The funny thing was that it required a looong break-in.

It never jammed, but the accuracy didn't dial-in until around the 350th round down the barrel. I don't know if it was just parts wearing on themselves until they polished themselves out or what? But now it seems crazy accurate. This target is one full mag at 35 yards, slow firing with a two handed hold:

Attachment 20501

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Liked 4454 Times on 2352 Posts
Likes Given: 255

never liked em. carried em in the army and crap was always getting stuck tween the slide and barrel. found them to be less reliable and less accurate than the ww2 era 1911's we lost to get those. anyway thats just my two primers worth.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 96 Brigadier is the 40 cal model and I truly believe that both models are fine firearms and would be a bonus to anyones collection. I have a soft spot for metal frame firearms.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I don't care for them. Not comfortable in my hands at all. But YMMV.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #6

I've wanted one since I first shot one, back in late '76 or so. One of the guys that shot at the same range I did brought one back from Italy. I somehow managed to keep missing out on a bunch of great deals on one, until last year, when I hit on a barely shot one on Gunbroker, with a bunch of mags, for $405.
It's gota couple of tiny nicks on it, and basically, it looks new.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 92 now and carried one in the service--I like them. They are somewhat large, but I've never had a malfunction with mine and it shoots where it points. I've never shot the 96 version, but other than recoil I imagine it is similar. Every pistol collection needs a 92 in my opinion, if only so you can shoot in national matches if so desired...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only downside is the weight of the weapon, that is if you plan to carry it alot. I owned a M92FS for a year, nearly 700 rounds through it without any malfunctions. The most accurate 9 I've ever fired. Loved the ergonomics on it, nice and round grips.

Just recently traded her in for a Glock 19 because a full-size handgun didn't fit my current handgun needs.

Beautiful looking gun. That Beretta.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #9

I've never fired one, but I have held it, and I prefer the CZ 75 line of pistols. My SP-01 has some excellent ergonomics, is extremely accurate and has been 100% reliable for the 600 or so rounds I've fired through it. It fits in the same category (full-sized metal frame), and is around the same price, but in my opinion, is a better fit for me.

Before you buy anything you should go to a shop that has a lot of pistols, hold some and see what feels best to you. That should be the biggest determining factor.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #10

its very relible - it was tested to hell and back before it got the military contract
if you like the style then ok but it is BIG
a lot of people forget that the military tests gave the nod to the sig 226 but with the rest of the contract obligations like parts replacement costs - sig lost the bid

Attitude is Everything