Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   What do y'all think? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/what-do-yall-think-99753/)

jersh243 10-31-2013 05:50 PM

What do y'all think?

A friend of mine is selling a raven .25 auto, what do y'all think of it as a first handgun?

MisterMcCool 10-31-2013 05:55 PM

Terrible. :(

jersh243 10-31-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool
Terrible. :(

Why? I need reasons.

Dearhunter 10-31-2013 06:51 PM

Unpopular caliber. If you want a caliber that small, go .22, you will have many more guns to pick from, plus .22 ammo is more readily available and cheaper to buy.

DeltaF 10-31-2013 07:11 PM

If you get in sticky situation with a .25, try throwing the gun at your attacker. It will probably be more accurate and do more damage that way. It's a gut gun.

orangello 10-31-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaF (Post 1419015)
If you get in sticky situation with a .25, try throwing the gun at your attacker. It will probably be more accurate and do more damage that way. It's a gut gun.

Agreed! Especially in that brand, blech!

Start with something that has a reliable safety, a full-sized grip, and the ability to empty a whole magazine without a stoppage.

Tell your friend to sell it to someone he does not like.

TBH, my sister had a .25 as her purse pistol for a long time; the last time I cleaned caramel out of the barrel, she agreed to try my Bersa Thunder .380. I miss that Bersa, but I am glad she has a better purse pistol.

The lil Bersa might be a interesting starter; it looks similar to the old James Bond PPK. It has a comfortable grip, though it isn't what I consider "full sized". The price is in the low $300's for the nickel finished model. Magazines are expensive, though.

My first was a .22LR similar to the Ruger Mark series.

gr8oldguy 10-31-2013 07:40 PM

Depends on what your budget is. The Raven should be worth about $50 or less. If budget allows, there are other good choices. Someone mentioned the Bersa. I own 3 of them and they are fantastic guns. Can't go wrong choosing one of those. If you want to stay little, but dependable, take a look at NAA mini revolvers in 22mag. Lot's of caliber snobs will laugh at them, but they are a serious little shooters. good luck

nitestalker 10-31-2013 07:50 PM

The little .25 is often deadly at pocket pistol ranges. The low powered handgun bullets will not often shoot through a human. They do however enter the body cavity and tumble around spending their energy. They most often create fatal wounds.
The Ravin is not a quality handgun. The reliability of these guns is "edgy" at best. :)

jjones45 10-31-2013 08:01 PM

Spend about $100 bucks more and get a high point

danf_fl 10-31-2013 11:01 PM

Such a small handgun is not recommended for training or a first pistol.

(As an NRA instructor) I would suggest getting a larger frame .22LR and learn the basics.

Unlike TV, one does not pick up a gun and know everything about shooting automatically.