You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

What is the best gun for a woman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
Fantastic. It's always fun to watch the shear joy that comes on many women's faces the first time they shoot a gun. Including my wife. My wife was scared to death of guns when we got married. She got used to having them around, but it took me 25 years to get her to finally shoot one, my Browning Buckmark. After emptying the first magazine, she turned with a huge smile on her face and said "Reload it, I wanna shoot it some more".

By the way, trigger safeties are the big thing in guns these days, but to me they are one step above useless. Really not much of a safety, in my humble opinion. The real safety in a Glock is inside. The mechanism is designed so there is absolutely no way the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. You can load that gun and throw it against a brick wall and it won't go off.
A trigger is not a safety The Glock goes bang it if the trigger get snagged while holstering the gun.

My sister treated FBI and DEA agents for gun shot wounds from the Glock. Most was done while drawing or putting the gun back in the holster.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #32

Liked 58 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

She needs a revolver that she likes.

Remember it's for her and not you.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12071 Times on 6352 Posts
Likes Given: 11757

My wife likes A 1911. (I DON'T)

But most women in my self defence classes end up with a "K" frame Smith and Wesson in .38 special with +P hollow points.

Make sure the grips fit her hand That's just as important as caliber. Maybe more so.

Some small framed, recoil sensitive women are better off with a .32 revolver.

While I don't like the .32 for home defense, a puke HIT with a .32 is hurt one helluva worse than a puke MISSED with an.45.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #34

Liked 1547 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491

If she is bold and has no problem trying new stuff, let her try several different kinds at a range that rents guns. She'll find something she likes. But if she's timid, and likely recoil shy, she'd do pretty well with medium weight .38, like a S&W Model 10, 64 or 67. Maybe a Ruger SP101, something that is mild-mannered, and heavy enough that it will not give her a problem with recoil, but not unwieldly like a Dan Wesson or a Ruger Redhawk. Then after she gets used to it, let her try some user-friendly semiauto's like a Stoeger 8000 or 8040 "Cougar", or Beretta PX4, that have a rotating barrel type lockup instead of the Browning tilt-barrel lockup. The recoil will be minimal and they shoot straight.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know you asked for handgun suggestions but have you considered a pump shotgun since you said it was for home defense and not carry, maybe a 20gauge if she can't handle a 12gauge. But she may suprise you with her abilities. My wife is 5'3" and 105lbs and she handles my 870 supermag 12gauge and her Franchi LA48 20 gauge very well. As for a strictly home D handgun Id consider an XD 9mm full size, there's plenty of slide and handle there to get a grip on to rack it , it will be comfortable to shoot, it has a rail for a light or laser and she'll have I believe 17 rounds at her disposal - 11 more than a revolver. If she may carry also Id suggest a Kahr CW9 it has a little longer barrel than other Kahrs lending itself to better accuracy its single stack so it has a nice thin comfortable grip , its very concealable , simple, accurate and very simple. Another option would be a ruger LC9 its very light,thin,concealable and it has an external safety with a very long stiff trigger pull so if like many females it gets tossed in her bag with make up brushes,pens,keys and god knows what else so with its ext safety and stiff long trigger pull she can feel relatively comfortable she won't have an accidental discharge. Sorry for the looong answer , I couldn't think of a shorter answer to convey my message ,good luck

Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTF
I know you asked for handgun suggestions but have you considered a pump shotgun since you said it was for home defense and not carry, maybe a 20gauge if she can't handle a 12gauge. But she may suprise you with her abilities. My wife is 5'3" and 105lbs and she handles my 870 supermag 12gauge and her Franchi LA48 20 gauge very well. As for a strictly home D handgun Id consider an XD 9mm full size, there's plenty of slide and handle there to get a grip on to rack it , it will be comfortable to shoot, it has a rail for a light or laser and she'll have I believe 17 rounds at her disposal - 11 more than a revolver. If she may carry also Id suggest a Kahr CW9 it has a little longer barrel than other Kahrs lending itself to better accuracy its single stack so it has a nice thin comfortable grip , its very concealable , simple, accurate and very simple. Another option would be a ruger LC9 its very light,thin,concealable and it has an external safety with a very long stiff trigger pull so if like many females it gets tossed in her bag with make up brushes,pens,keys and god knows what else so with its ext safety and stiff long trigger pull she can feel relatively comfortable she won't have an accidental discharge. Sorry for the looong answer , I couldn't think of a shorter answer to convey my message ,good luck
Can't do a shotgun bc we live really close to neighbors, and we have a 3 year old son. But maybe when we move to a bigger place, and thanks

Old 02-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #37
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10874 Times on 6484 Posts
Likes Given: 16059

I'm a woman and my first gun was a Ruger GP100. I started off with a revolver for the simplicity and I really like it. Have her try a revolver. Mine is a 6" barrel, full lug and it still has a kick. Just my (female) opinion.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #38

Liked 1547 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 2491

Back in the '90s I took my wife to a gun shop to get her a SD gun. The dealer started showing her such "cannons" as a Raven .25, a Lorcin .22, etc. She got upset and said, " If some turkey attacks me I don't want to piss him off. I want to put him down". So she ended up getting a Dan Wesson 744VH, a .44 magnum with 4, 6, and 8" interchangeable barrels. She still laughs about it. She's 5'4 and weighs about 110 lbs.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 02-09-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #39

Ok ppl found a she like today very simple for her to load, cock, and fire. She like it bc it doesn't kick and easy to keep in line of fire, and very accurate! Smith and Wesson 9mm any thoughts?

Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #40

[Ok ppl found a gun she like today very simple for her to load, cock, and fire. She like it bc it doesn't kick and easy to keep in line of fire, and very accurate! Smith and Wesson 9mm any thoughts?