What is the best gun for a woman? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What is the best gun for a woman?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: N.E. Okla.
Posts: 47
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

After trying several different guns, my wife decided on the glock 19 (9mm). It's easy for her to rack and she shoots it very well. She's about 5'3 and loves to shoot this gun. This is her 1st handgun and she had a one hour 1 on 1 with an instructor. There's a range in Tulsa (2a shooting center) that rents firearms & has excellent instructors. If you have a live rd in tube, all you have to do is point & pull the trigger. The safety is built into the center of the trigger, thus it's ready to go.
She also tried a Walther pk380. It was so easy to rack. Hope this helps

__________________

John

jammer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Keginth28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer
After trying several different guns, my wife decided on the glock 19 (9mm). It's easy for her to rack and she shoots it very well. She's about 5'3 and loves to shoot this gun. This is her 1st handgun and she had a one hour 1 on 1 with an instructor. There's a range in Tulsa (2a shooting center) that rents firearms & has excellent instructors. If you have a live rd in tube, all you have to do is point & pull the trigger. The safety is built into the center of the trigger, thus it's ready to go.
She also tried a Walther pk380. It was so easy to rack. Hope this helps
Thanks jammer, did your wife try the glock 17 too and if so how did she like it?
__________________
Keginth28 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: N.E. Okla.
Posts: 47
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

No she didn't try the 17. But after shooting her 19, I'm thinkin' 'bout a 17 for yours truly. I've got a Browning HP 9mm which was way to heavy and hard to rack for her. She shot it real well though.

__________________
jammer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Paladin201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis,MO
Posts: 445
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
After trying several different guns, my wife decided on the glock 19 (9mm). It's easy for her to rack and she shoots it very well. She's about 5'3 and loves to shoot this gun. This is her 1st handgun and she had a one hour 1 on 1 with an instructor. There's a range in Tulsa (2a shooting center) that rents firearms & has excellent instructors. If you have a live rd in tube, all you have to do is point & pull the trigger. The safety is built into the center of the trigger, thus it's ready to go.
She also tried a Walther pk380. It was so easy to rack. Hope this helps
Fantastic. It's always fun to watch the shear joy that comes on many women's faces the first time they shoot a gun. Including my wife. My wife was scared to death of guns when we got married. She got used to having them around, but it took me 25 years to get her to finally shoot one, my Browning Buckmark. After emptying the first magazine, she turned with a huge smile on her face and said "Reload it, I wanna shoot it some more".

By the way, trigger safeties are the big thing in guns these days, but to me they are one step above useless. Really not much of a safety, in my humble opinion. The real safety in a Glock is inside. The mechanism is designed so there is absolutely no way the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. You can load that gun and throw it against a brick wall and it won't go off.
__________________
Paladin201 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gatoragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North GA. Back home in Dixieland.
Posts: 3,441
Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Default

My wife has small hands and use both trigger fingers left & right) to fire her S&W J frame .38.

__________________
Gatoragn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Keginth28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer
No she didn't try the 17. But after shooting her 19, I'm thinkin' 'bout a 17 for yours truly. I've got a Browning HP 9mm which was way to heavy and hard to rack for her. She shot it real well though.
Yea that's what I'm going to see what glocks they got to try.
__________________
Keginth28 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Keginth28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201

Fantastic. It's always fun to watch the shear joy that comes on many women's faces the first time they shoot a gun. Including my wife. My wife was scared to death of guns when we got married. She got used to having them around, but it took me 25 years to get her to finally shoot one, my Browning Buckmark. After emptying the first magazine, she turned with a huge smile on her face and said "Reload it, I wanna shoot it some more".

By the way, trigger safeties are the big thing in guns these days, but to me they are one step above useless. Really not much of a safety, in my humble opinion. The real safety in a Glock is inside. The mechanism is designed so there is absolutely no way the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. You can load that gun and throw it against a brick wall and it won't go off.
A lot of ppl I know always complain about it's accuracy?
__________________
Keginth28 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Texanbybirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ellis County,TX
Posts: 205
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If your wife doesn't shoot regularly, (like mine) a revolver is hard to beat. It goes bang everytime. No slide bite or limp wristing issues. I suggest a .357 with a 4" barrel. The heavier gun will absorb recoil better and if the "kick" is an issue, you could always put .38 ammo in it. Be sure it has good sights. I'd start with a Ruger GP100. (with Hogue grips) Good luck.

__________________
Texanbybirth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Keginth28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth
If your wife doesn't shoot regularly, (like mine) a revolver is hard to beat. It goes bang everytime. No slide bite or limp wristing issues. I suggest a .357 with a 4" barrel. The heavier gun will absorb recoil better and if the "kick" is an issue, you could always put .38 ammo in it. Be sure it has good sights. I'd start with a Ruger GP100. (with Hogue grips) Good luck.
Yea shoot that before, I liked it
__________________
Keginth28 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
007BondJamesBond007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan,Michigan
Posts: 428
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
If your wife doesn't shoot regularly, (like mine) a revolver is hard to beat. It goes bang everytime. No slide bite or limp wristing issues. I suggest a .357 with a 4" barrel. The heavier gun will absorb recoil better and if the "kick" is an issue, you could always put .38 ammo in it. Be sure it has good sights. I'd start with a Ruger GP100. (with Hogue grips) Good luck.
My has a S & W 642CT revolver with a Crimson Trace as her carry gun. My wife does not like the gun or the recoil but shoots it well. (She likes my Kimber) She carries it because it is "STUPID POOF" I showed her tap & rack to clear jams but she still hands me the gun to clear the jam. I say tap & rack she goes what's that? I show her on another gun and she clears it. The fact here is I may not be there to clear a jam if a bad guy shows up.
__________________

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

007BondJamesBond007 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Are You Man (or Woman) Enough? Benning Boy The Club House 50 05-12-2011 10:29 AM
Because I am a Woman RugerShootinGal The Club House 80 11-19-2010 05:57 AM
Why is it that a single woman is thinner then a married woman? opaww The Club House 4 05-31-2010 10:16 PM
This was sent to me by a Woman in Ill. Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 4 10-10-2008 02:12 PM
What a Woman coxhw The Club House 0 04-22-2007 07:08 AM