Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What is the best gun for a woman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I was just thinking out loud about "forgetting" to put one in the chamber under severe duress. my 2 cents

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Go to this site:

http://corneredcat.com/

It written by a woman for women and men who want to get their wife a gun.

Read & heed.

Edit:
Yeah: post #700.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 02-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #13

Liked 4682 Times on 2265 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Python, the one eyed variety.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #14

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
As they already say, it depends on her. But I will add one point that's very important to consider regarding automatics. Women, on the average, are less strong than men. Take my wife....please. (Just kidding dear, put the rolling pin down). My wife is around 5'5 and has small hands with very little hand strength. She's always handing me jars and stuff and saying "Here, open this". She absolutely cannot rack the slide on any of my autos. Even the Browning Buckmark 22. That one issue right there can scratch automatics for many women. Granted, I know women who can handle autos without a problem. But smaller women can have a problem. Just something to make sure you consider.
My wife has the same issue, we ended up getting her a Sig sp2022 and she is able rack the slide no problem. I also had a h&k p2000sk that she handled pretty well also.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I got my partner a Phoenix HP22 because she was having issues with pulling the slide back on the larger caliber guns. She is happy, I am happy; and when we go shooting it's a happy photo moment for both of us.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #16

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Ruger LC9 LCR .38 or .357 kahr p .40 S&W bodyguard .380
Taurus pt .22 if shes a real dainty tiny woman

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
As they already say, it depends on her. But I will add one point that's very important to consider regarding automatics. Women, on the average, are less strong than men. Take my wife....please. (Just kidding dear, put the rolling pin down). My wife is around 5'5 and has small hands with very little hand strength. She's always handing me jars and stuff and saying "Here, open this". She absolutely cannot rack the slide on any of my autos. Even the Browning Buckmark 22. That one issue right there can scratch automatics for many women. Granted, I know women who can handle autos without a problem. But smaller women can have a problem. Just something to make sure you consider.
My wife is 5'3 and has only shoot a 22 rifle lol and that hurt her arm haha but I'm trying to see what caliber fits a woman that's small and can't handle a lot of kick, but can still put a 200 pound man on he's death bed?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The best gun for anyone is one that they like to shoot and are capable of shooting safely. I don't see this being a male/female thing at all.

IMO, you should both go to a range that rents firearms, and have her try out a wide range of firearms, and let her pick out something that works for her.

Before going too far, consider going to a Hunters' Safety or Firearm Safety class, together. It is never too early to learn safety or to get a refresher.

IMO, for a first handgun, a revolver is a good way to go, for a first rifle, a bolt action is a good way to go, and for a shotgun, an o/u is the way to go. All slow and good learning foundations for skill development, and less likely to go bang unintentionally.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36
Ruger LC9 LCR .38 or .357 kahr p .40 S&W bodyguard .380
Taurus pt .22 if shes a real dainty tiny woman
Thanks! I'll diff have her shoot them

Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo
The best gun for anyone is one that they like to shoot and are capable of shooting safely. I don't see this being a male/female thing at all.

IMO, you should both go to a range that rents firearms, and have her try out a wide range of firearms, and let her pick out something that works for her.

Before going too far, consider going to a Hunters' Safety or Firearm Safety class, together. It is never too early to learn safety or to get a refresher.

IMO, for a first handgun, a revolver is a good way to go, for a first rifle, a bolt action is a good way to go, and for a shotgun, an o/u is the way to go. All slow and good learning foundations for skill development, and less likely to go bang unintentionally.
Thanks and I already scheduled the classed for her and my mom haha.