? what 9mm ammo has most penetration ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > ? what 9mm ammo has most penetration ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ? what 9mm ammo has most penetration ??

I'm looking to buy some 9mm ammo w/ a high penetration. I've always like the characteristics of 357 mag, but now I want something hot for a 9mm.
Can anyone make some suggestions. I'd prefer to find some factory loaded stuff. ??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #2

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Just plain ole American Eagle 124 gr FMJ blasts right through a 24" block of ballistic gelatin. In fact, any popular FMJ ammo is hard to beat for penetration. This is just personal preference, I prefer American Eagle or Aguila 124 gr FMJ ammo. I have shot nuisance deer and coyotes with both. The bullet stays together to break both the shoulder blades of deer fired from a pistol and has enough range in a carbine to shoot a coyote as far as I can see one with the naked eye.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wow, I never gave 9mm that much credit.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #4

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Any ole fmj ammo keeps on get'n it, What are you looking for and what handgun is to be used. If you want penitration and expantion in tissue buy a most any quality hp in +P or +P+ rateing with atleast a 124gr bullet ,IF your handgun is rated for it. Just know that none of these nor any 40 or 45 are one shot stoppers.. . I use aload that speers 124gr GD bullets in a +P rateing. Underwood ammo is another great company , Corbon and on and on,

Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks, a Glock 17. Not really a flesh thing, just penetration altogether. So undoubtably FMJ. I have a springfield xd 40, then got the G 17, I can repeatedly get the shots off, and maintain my target w/ that 17. I dont even like my xd anymore. I like the trigger on the glock also.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Practice with fmj but pick a good hp +P or +P+ and practice double and triple taps. When I go to the range I tend to set atleast one of my carry mags aside and practice with the cheap stuff and finsh the day with what i carry to get that feel for it and that lets me change out carry ammo in one mag.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #7

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 457

147 gr tends to penetrate very well also.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
147 gr tends to penetrate very well also.
They do penetrate very well and the flat nose makes a wound cavity like a hollow point. I would shoot nothing but 147 gr but the don't get along with my carbine. It shoots them accurately to about 50 yards and they drop like a stone. I do keep a couple boxes of 147 gr on hand for my P-11. It has a range of about 5 yards.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21214 Times on 12045 Posts
Likes Given: 52940

most of the name brand SD ammo will perform well in penetration tests. most of it performs pretty close to one another. some of the newer products may perform a little better due to better powders and better bullet designs. lighter bullets give up a little energy but gain velocity and heavier bullets will give up velocity and gain some energy as a general rule.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just picked up some Hornady Critical DUTY. Go to their website and read about them. Its a heck of a round. Good luck, Ed

HOTTY TODDY!!!!