Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   ? what 9mm ammo has most penetration ?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/what-9mm-ammo-has-most-penetration-75005/)

suzychapstick 10-25-2012 06:37 AM

? what 9mm ammo has most penetration ??

I'm looking to buy some 9mm ammo w/ a high penetration. I've always like the characteristics of 357 mag, but now I want something hot for a 9mm.
Can anyone make some suggestions. I'd prefer to find some factory loaded stuff. ??

Old_Crow 10-25-2012 06:58 AM

Just plain ole American Eagle 124 gr FMJ blasts right through a 24" block of ballistic gelatin. In fact, any popular FMJ ammo is hard to beat for penetration. This is just personal preference, I prefer American Eagle or Aguila 124 gr FMJ ammo. I have shot nuisance deer and coyotes with both. The bullet stays together to break both the shoulder blades of deer fired from a pistol and has enough range in a carbine to shoot a coyote as far as I can see one with the naked eye.

suzychapstick 10-25-2012 04:18 PM

wow, I never gave 9mm that much credit.

hardluk1 10-25-2012 04:21 PM

Any ole fmj ammo keeps on get'n it, What are you looking for and what handgun is to be used. If you want penitration and expantion in tissue buy a most any quality hp in +P or +P+ rateing with atleast a 124gr bullet ,IF your handgun is rated for it. Just know that none of these nor any 40 or 45 are one shot stoppers.. . I use aload that speers 124gr GD bullets in a +P rateing. Underwood ammo is another great company , Corbon and on and on,

suzychapstick 10-25-2012 05:24 PM

thanks, a Glock 17. Not really a flesh thing, just penetration altogether. So undoubtably FMJ. I have a springfield xd 40, then got the G 17, I can repeatedly get the shots off, and maintain my target w/ that 17. I dont even like my xd anymore. I like the trigger on the glock also.

hardluk1 10-25-2012 10:45 PM

Practice with fmj but pick a good hp +P or +P+ and practice double and triple taps. When I go to the range I tend to set atleast one of my carry mags aside and practice with the cheap stuff and finsh the day with what i carry to get that feel for it and that lets me change out carry ammo in one mag.

SSGN_Doc 10-26-2012 01:20 AM

147 gr tends to penetrate very well also.

Old_Crow 10-26-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 990021)
147 gr tends to penetrate very well also.

They do penetrate very well and the flat nose makes a wound cavity like a hollow point. I would shoot nothing but 147 gr but the don't get along with my carbine. It shoots them accurately to about 50 yards and they drop like a stone. I do keep a couple boxes of 147 gr on hand for my P-11. It has a range of about 5 yards.

Axxe55 10-26-2012 04:02 AM

most of the name brand SD ammo will perform well in penetration tests. most of it performs pretty close to one another. some of the newer products may perform a little better due to better powders and better bullet designs. lighter bullets give up a little energy but gain velocity and heavier bullets will give up velocity and gain some energy as a general rule.

eborden1122 10-30-2012 01:05 PM

I just picked up some Hornady Critical DUTY. Go to their website and read about them. Its a heck of a round. Good luck, Ed