What .22 pistol to learn with
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > What .22 pistol to learn with

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What .22 pistol to learn with

Debating on what .22 platform to purchase to work on the basics. Looking seriously at the Ruger MkIII 45/22 Lite and the Walther. Any experience or suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #2

Liked 117 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I have a ruger mk II and a ruger single six...both would give your the fundamentals of safety, handling and how to focus your sight picture....if I knew what my first center fire weapon would be, then I would tend to go in that direction...I loved my neighbor's K-22 growing up and I do want a .22 double action revolver...also a 1911 knock of would be really cool...maybe I will just have to make that happen.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Like Mouser says in his last sentence...
I would recommend the GSG 1911-22 (or the Sig version - either one - same pistol). This has the same feel, weight, heft as a full size Gov't model 1911 but chambered in .22

After some training with it - you will be all ready for a true 1911 in .45auto
Plus, even after you own a .45 you will still enjoy taking the .22 out to the range and shooting it. A hoot to fire and ammo is much more of a bargain.
Still shoot mine pretty regularly.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachalbrecht View Post
Debating on what .22 platform to purchase to work on the basics. Looking seriously at the Ruger MkIII 45/22 Lite and the Walther. Any experience or suggestions?
Ruger MkIII 45/22 Lite:
Excellent gun. Nice trigger. Good range shooter and skill builder. Great host for a suppressor. First rate quality at a fair price.

S&W M&P22:
Pretty identical to a full-sized M&P. Excellent trigger, accurate, 12rd capacity, eats cheap ammo. And the $400 price is very fair. Love it.

Not a big fan of Walther's P22. My experience with 1911 22lrs hasn't been so hot. The Ruger SR22 is a good gun, but its micro size probably wouldn't benefit you. Gerenally I'm a fan of most Ruger and Browning rimfires, and have been really impressed with the MP22.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

My suggestion is, and always has been, to get something that will not encourage "spray and pray" as a first firearm.

Do I have semi-autos? Yes.
Did I start on semi-autos? Yes, even though some here think I am old enough that semi-autos were not invented when I started.
What have I learned? "Spray and pray" is easier to learn than the basics of shooting accurately.

Today, I have several revolvers that are used to re-instill the basics when I feel I am not doing something correctly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2556 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

The Ruger Pistol mentioned is a fine pistol as well as the Browning Buckmark and one of my favorites since I like 1911 pistols is the Sig 1911 22 cal. pictured below. Very fine pistol, functions like a 45 ACP 1911 and is very accurate. The target was shot at 15 yards with the pistol right out of the box.
Both look and funtion alike.

new-sig-sauer-1911-22-cal..jpg   sig-1911-22-cal-target.jpg  

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #7
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1755 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 5315

Short and sweet here.
Revolver Single or Double would be a great choice. (I want a S&W M17 K22. I really do!)

Auto's are fine, usually harder to get quality, with a good trigger.
Avoid cheapies.

A cost effective 22 semi is the Ruger MKIII or MKIII 22/45.
They are good out of the box, and have plenty of affordable upgrades when time and money allows it.

But a good S&W will always make your heart sing. now .... and in the years to come. Best Feel / Best Trigger ....

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 02-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #8

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachalbrecht View Post
I have a 22/45 and 9mm G19.

If the only reason to you want the .22 is to work on the basics, I'd suggest you think about a pellet gun. Although it's very different than shooting a centerfire pistol, so is a .22lr. A pellet gun would give you practice with sight picture & trigger control AND, unlike .22lr, it's easy to get pellets. 22lr ammunition has become rare & expensive. A pellet gun also allows you more places you can practice safely.

If you want it because your thinking about doing small bore bullseye or target shooting, that's another story. It's very accurate out of the box and isn't fussy about ammunition. A lot of the semi auto 22lrs are. It's PITA to strip though. Besides the hard main spring, you need to whack the barrel to pop it off. I use a block of wood.

I've found the shooting the 22lr experience is so different than shooting the 9mm, that dryfiring my 9mm was actually more productive.

If I was to do it over, I'd get a M&P .22lr, and a M&P centerfire, when I was ready, if not at the same time.

Last edited by Vincine; 02-11-2014 at 03:38 AM.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #9

Liked 314 Times on 221 Posts

I really think a 22 revolver would be the ideal shooter for a first 22. But I went with a different theory when I bought mine. I read all the reviews, complaints and criticisms. I wanted an easy to handle semi auto so I could learn how to easily handle a semi, and reload magazines. I handled a ton of guns, and realized the Walther P22 and Ruger SR22 both felt good in my hand. I bought the Walther simply because it sounded more prone to FTF and FTE issues when new or under 1000 rounds. I knew this would suck, but also thought it would teach me to handle handgun failures quickly and efficiently. IMO it has. I am no pro, but after the first 500 rounds or so I felt so much more relaxed dealing with any failures. I don't panic, get flustered or rush now. I think/hope that in a pinch I could quickly handle FTF or FTE in any of my semi auto's. I am glad I learned at the range with my 22 than with my 9mm or 45ACPin a CC situation.

But that's me. I have patience. Your mileage may vary. Just another theory to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 02-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #10

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

I definitely think a revolver would be best. A Ruger Single Six or SP101 in .22 would be great or any S&W .22.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app