wanting my first SIG - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

wanting my first SIG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

well i went to the range today and shot sig pro2022 .40ca
(this was what they had SIG wize and a sig 9mm )
A friend brought his s&w 9mm , 38 , .357 / 45 and shotgun

I was there mainly to decied which caliber to choose and truely there wasnt much of a difference. I ofcourse want to try p226/p228/ p229 etc. but need to call around and find them to rent.

The 9mm was lighter and I didnt have the best balance holding it.
the sig2022 was heavier but it felt very solid in my hands but I did notice the nose of the gun was heavier too and my shot was down ???
not sure if any of this makes any sense LOL

The 38 rev. was special nice solid gun.
the 45 is just too much and heavy.
Even thinking that shotgun would look great near my bed

I want to enjoy shooting the gun and dont want to get board.
I think the 9mm or .40 will do just fine but now i have to find the right gun.

Any advice to light / medium / heavy guns semiauto handguns -
I still want to stay with the compact size.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:56 AM   #12

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The P229 is my all time fav among non 1911 smaller pistols. Mines a .40 but I'd really like to check out a 9mm version of the 229. Para Ordenience has the PDA and Carry 9 in 9mm. I think you can still get the LTC in a 9mm too. I have one of those in 45ACP and it's one of the best in my collection.

There are plenty of decent 40's out there but you might do yourself a much better service getting a 9mm providing you find one that has the balance you think is right for you. A 9mm is just cheaper to feed so getting in more trigger time because you can get more ammo can do wonders for your over all level of shooting. But if you really like a 40 more then by all means get one. Yeah ammo is a little more but you have to shoot what you feel you like best. Even a 380 will work with good ammo.
i personally see them a little too hard on the hand and the ammo is a good bit more than 9mm but at avg. defense distanced they will get it done.

Any of those listed would be great weapons. You'll know what you really want when you put your hands on it and get that lovin' feelin' because it fits just that well.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #13

Goodmorning DJ,

this is what im thinking - I want to try the 229 in a doublestack 9mm (that is why i think the .40 felt better weight wize) and also try it in the .40 .

I will keep u posted

have a great weekend
C

Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #14

One question i did have after playing at the range is -

When i fired the pro2022 the chamber didnt open when it was empty ?
I hand to manually pull it back.

Now is this normal or did i just get a typical beatup rental gun ?

C

Old 08-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #15

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknk9s View Post
One question i did have after playing at the range is -

When i fired the pro2022 the chamber didnt open when it was empty ?
I hand to manually pull it back.

Now is this normal or did i just get a typical beatup rental gun ?

C
Could have been a dirty gun but may also have been your thumb resting too high up and contacting the slide release, preventing it from engaging the follower. If you are not completely invested in the SIG take a look at a Springfield XD in 9mm or 40 S&W. The xd comes in 3", 4" and 5" inch models and should be on the CA approved list. It's a polymer frame so it may be a little lighted for you, the grip is not as blocky as the SIG tends to be, in my opinion. I shot both SIGs and XDs when looking for a 40 S&W and could never seem to get a comfortable grip on the SIG, but thats just me.

Have fun, take your time and you will eventually find what works for you.

Good luck.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington