Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > wanting my first SIG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default wanting my first SIG

Hello there,

Im a home owner in Ca . ( yes the restrictions suck lol )
and have decieded to purchance my first handgun.

Im interested in SIG and would like your opinions on which guns
i should try out at the range .

Im looking for a -
compact / semi auto
Ease of use without major kick , ease to reload & ease to clean.
Which caliber is ideal for less kick ?

Im a woman 5'4 that is athletic .
I have shot and been around many different types of guns but was never interested until now- to purchase my very own.

All opinions are greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time,
Crystal

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I gave my daughter a P226 9mm Sig Sauer. She's a pretty small girl [5"2" 100 lb]. she loves it.

It's hard top go wrong with a Sig Sauer. They are reliable well made weapons.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #3

Default Good choice

Sig is as good as it gets for the $$$. Few people really need a gun of any higher quality. 9mm or .380 would fill your requirements. However, you'd have to shoot 'em a lot with either caliber.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the fast responce DJ & Judgepw ,

I picked SIG for Quality & reputation - but Im just unsure where to start.

Why would i have to shoot the 9mm & 380 allot more ? Is it because the bullet itself , does it leave residue ?

Please educate me

C

Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknk9s View Post
Thanks for the fast responce DJ & Judgepw ,

I picked SIG for Quality & reputation - but Im just unsure where to start.

Why would i have to shoot the 9mm & 380 allot more ? Is it because the bullet itself , does it leave residue ?

Please educate me

C
I believe he is referring to the relatively small caliber of the 9mm and .380 round and it's purported lack of one shot stopping power.

Many believe that a good self defense round begins with a 4, i.e. .40 S&W or .45ACP. That is usually a personal preference, you should carry what you are confident and comfortable with. No point in having a gun you are afraid to shoot because of recoil. Make a trip or two to a local range that rents handguns, try out a few different calibers and decide what you feel most comfortable with, afterall you can always buy a bigger gun later on.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The vanilla answer is try a P226 or P229, and start with 9mm. It's an affordable, manageable, adequate defense round. The 226/229/220 (if you're up to a 45acp) models are quality guns. They're simple, reliable, well-balanced, and a cinch to strip and clean. There are other quality Sig models at different prices, however these are their flagship models.

But my own advice would be to keep your options open. Experiment with different manufacturers. A least explore revolvers (a .327mag could be an outstanding defense choice if recoil is an issue). Try your hand at larger calibers such as 45acp (your ability to handle them may surprise you). And when it comes to 9mm, bear in mind that one of it's attributes is capacity, which can't be fully realized by California gun laws.

It's really just best to try on as much as possible. And if you feel like the Sig is right for you, you can get into a new/newer P220/26/29 with night sights for under $800 if you shop around. And you'll have a great gun.

"Im looking for a -
compact / semi auto
Ease of use without major kick , ease to reload & ease to clean.
Which caliber is ideal for less kick ?"

The first thoughts that'd come to mind based on this statement would be a P229/P239 (both 9mm) or a P238/P232 (380acp).

Last edited by sweeper22; 07-29-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

As others have said, Sig makes a great pistol. Very accurate, reliable, and easy to maintain. To start out I would highly recommend going with a 9mm as it's a good all around caliber and ammo is plentiful and about the cheapest there is. Cheap ammo = more practice.

I own (or have owned) just about every model Sig has made and if you're looking for compact - I'd recommend the P239. It is a single stack (thinner magazine, hence thinner grip) and a great concealable gun should you choose to go that route. My wife is a tiny thing (about 5-1, 110) and she shoots a 239 very well. Sigs can be expensive but also consider a CPO (certified pre-owned) model. Here's my P239...

Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Jpyle;322179]I believe he is referring to the relatively small caliber of the 9mm and .380 round and it's purported lack of one shot stopping power.QUOTE]

Oh ok yes i understand that. as my father has always told me that the 9mm & .380 is - "just gonna piss someone off" LOL

Thank u all for ur input.
I wanted to know what gun to ask for when i walk into the range , as the last few times they wouldnt listen to what i wanted and kept trying to push other guns my way.

I will start with the 9mm . Is the next size up 357 then 40, 45 etc right ?
Ive shot the 357/45auto and 44mag all my fathers . even had fun with an
ak47 on our old property until the police took it away hehe.

My father lives in OR now so I dont have the access but there is 2 gun ranges close by that i want to visit this weekend

I will keep u posted - Please feel free to keep posting your opinions as they are all worth gold to me.

C

Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

With the right defensive ammo, 9mm (and even .380) will do a good job at normal defensive ranges. While renting a variety of guns is a great way to select what works for you, always bear in mind that rental guns are generally abused and may not be maintained as well as they could be. Another option you may want to consider is a Kahr. These are light, very thin, and shoot very well. My EDC (every day carry) is a Kahr P9 in 9mm and it's a very versatile gun...

Old 07-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A 9mm would probably be more what you're looking for. The ammo is MUCH cheaper so practice would be a lot more cost effective. AS to stopping power a 9mm is just fine. It has much more to do with shot placement anyway. Most modern production ammo these days you can get pretty nasty results with a good defense round...Even in 9mm. And a Sig is one of the most hungry pistols made. They will eat anything. I have a 229 in .40 and it's a dream to shoot too. Honestly though if your wanting to get your feet wet in the pistol shooting pool a 9mm is a great place to start.

Some to look at....
A P226 P229, P228, the P6, or P225 The latter two are single stack lower capacity.

The 226 is probably the most available of all of them. Anywhere I see a Sig or two in the case it's usually one version of the 226.

Keep us in the loop. I hope to hear more on your progress.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson