Wanting Lc9 experience and advice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Wanting Lc9 experience and advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

Default Wanting Lc9 experience and advice

Earlier this year we were looking for a small gun for my wife. I really liked how the lc9 felt but she liked the m&p shield. We like the shield a lot but now I'm looking to buy a new gun and I have seen some used lc9 for about 300-375. I have never shot one.

What are your thoughts on the ruger?
Do you have any advice about price and the gun?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Liked 3620 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

I own and CC an LC9 regularly. I choose to pocket carry, so either the LC9 or my S&W J-frame are my tools of choice. They both have DA triggers and the J-frame actually has a stiffer trigger pull than the LC9.

If I was going to carry IWB, I'd carry my SR9c. The SR9c has a better trigger, higher capacity, and is overall a more accurate, better gun to shoot, plus it gives you the option of 17+1 round cap. for HD.

As I've mentioned before, if I could only own one of these two guns, it would be the SR9c.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3475 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 1525

The smaller the gun, the more felt recoil, the worse the experience for the wife.

I don't buy the wife's shoes, clothes, underwear, or gun.

Let her decide.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I own and CC an LC9 regularly. I choose to pocket carry, so either the LC9 or my S&W J-frame are my tools of choice. They both have DA triggers and the J-frame actually has a stiffer trigger pull than the LC9. If I was going to carry IWB, I'd carry my SR9c. The SR9c has a better trigger, higher capacity, and is overall a more accurate, better gun to shoot, plus it gives you the option of 17+1 round cap. for HD. As I've mentioned before, if I could only own one of these two guns, it would be the SR9c.
What do you mean DA trigger? I have other guns for HD. I really want something to pocket carry.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
The smaller the gun, the more felt recoil, the worse the experience for the wife. I don't buy the wife's shoes, clothes, underwear, or gun. Let her decide.
I'm with you. She did get the shield back in April. She loves it. Now it's my turn for a new gun.

I was curious about pricing and if anyone had experience with both.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #6

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post

What do you mean DA trigger? I have other guns for HD. I really want something to pocket carry.
The DA trigger is double action only so a long trigger pull every time you pull the trigger kind of like a revolver.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Liked 3620 Times on 2067 Posts
Likes Given: 2520

DA = Double Action

The LC9 is a DA only, hammer-fired pistol, that means that with each squeeze of the trigger the gun's hammer is cocked and released to strike the firing pin (in this gun). The J-frame is a DA/SA (Single-Action) pistol, you can choose to either manually cock the hammer and squeeze the trigger to fire the gun (SA), or use the trigger to cock and fire the gun (DA).

The SR9c is a "Striker Fired" pistol, a different design from the LC9, and in this case the finger pressure needed to fire the pistol is a good bit less than is necessary to fire the LC9, aiding in better accuracy due to less effort.

For pocket carry, LC9 for sure!

Last edited by eatmydust; 10-14-2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I just didn't match the letters to the words. I'm still learning all the forum talk.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #9

Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjonny View Post
Earlier this year we were looking for a small gun for my wife. I really liked how the lc9 felt but she liked the m&p shield. We like the shield a lot but now I'm looking to buy a new gun and I have seen some used lc9 for about 300-375. I have never shot one.

What are your thoughts on the ruger?
Do you have any advice about price and the gun?

Thanks.
I bought an LC9 for the wife but she never got the hang of the long trigger pull. She traded it for a Kimber Sapphire Ultra.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P238
CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
Springfield XDs 9MM/45 ACP
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

The only experience I have with an LC9 is holding it one time at a gun store. It didn't feel right in my hand. I suppose it could be a viable option for me as a pocket carry gun, but I enjoy shooting my guns and if one doesn't feel right in the hand... Its a no-go.

Of course your hand is different than mine, so if you like it, great, more power to ya. I've heard good things about the reliability of the gun.

The price you mentioned seems fair, in my limited experience. I have seen it for more than that at my LGS.