Wanting to know what to expect.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Wanting to know what to expect.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wanting to know what to expect.

Ok guys, I know this has undoubtedly been brought up on this forum before, but at the risk of (but hopefully not) aggravating some of you by bringing it up again: I wanna know what to expect out of the Ruger P95dc. It will be my first purchase (barring any thorough thrashings coming from any of you aimed towards the gun) after I turn 21 and is already sitting in the lock safe on layaway waiting for me to pay it off.

So that's it ladies and gentlemen! Rattle off your praise and hatred for the p95dc, I'm listening.

BTW : It's a 2 tone stainless slide with the black poly grips, and its also high cap 15+1 and its comes with 2 extra high cap mags and I'm getting it for right at 375.00 with tax included brand hammer new in the box. Am I getting ripped off or doing well?

Thanks ahead of time .

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2009, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I know this, Ruger makes some of the strongest firearms made. I had considered getting a Ruger semi-auto in 45 ACP but the availibility of getting a hold of 45 ACP ammo disappeared and 40 S&W was still around in abundence. So I ended up with an XDm and a Stoeger Cougar. A friend of mine had a P95 and didn't like it due to fat in the hand, I didn't mind it too much but then I have long fingers. It really is a great weapon and they have very good quality for a decent price.

Last edited by Viking; 11-24-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Have you shot it? Have you shot other guns for comparison? That's the real question.

If you like the feel of this gun, it's a good starter gun. Just a solid little shooter period. I looked into both the P95 and SR9 (also Ruger) several months back. Liked them both. The typical cost for a new P95 is in the low-$300's. Paying $375 would be slightly on the high end here, but not overboard. It's still a good value at that price. The SR9 is nice too, and I usually see them for a shade over $400.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Have you shot it? Have you shot other guns for comparison? That's the real question.
I have shot the p95 on one occasion about a year and a half ago, but only put about a box of rounds through it. From that little bit of experience I know that I love the feel and size of the gun (i have rather large hands, weigh over 200 pounds and wear baggy clothing so concealment is never an issue for me). I was more looking for seasoned opinions on the gun; long term reliability, ability to function under stress, rate of failure to feed/operate, any horror stories?

As far as feel, look, and caliber (I'm a huuuuge fan of 9mm ((especially in a 124 grain gold dot +p hollow point)) I am already in love with the gun, just wondering if anyone out there can change my mind?
"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 11-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own three Ruger P series including the P95. All are good pistols and have worked out well.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #6

Had mine since they first came out. Never a problem of any kind. I wouldn't try to talk you out of one.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

If you like the feel of this gun, it's a good starter gun. Just a solid little shooter period. I looked into both the P95 and SR9 (also Ruger) several months back. Liked them both. The typical cost for a new P95 is in the low-$300's. Paying $375 would be slightly on the high end here, but not overboard. It's still a good value at that price. The SR9 is nice too, and I usually see them for a shade over $400.
The difference between the P95 and the SR9 is the P95 is a hammer fired pistol and the one you mentioned has a decocker on it. For someone new to pistols this is a good option. The SR9 is striker fired (no hammer no decock). $375 for a new Ruger P95 with three hi cap mags is a reasonable price.

Let us know what you decide to puurchase.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #8

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Your doing well, $375.00 including tax is a good deal for a new P95. I have given up recommending any brand pistols to anyone. So just let me say I have the Ruger P97 and Ruger SP101 and they will be with me for a long time.

Jim

Old 12-22-2009, 03:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I know that you can get a new Ruger SR9 for $400. I might have to get one for that price if not J&G Sales has used Sig P226 for the same price.