Walther ppq m2 bought - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Walther ppq m2 bought

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
Yeah I know, but most guns with mag safeties can't be dry fired without a magazine installed or it could damage the striker. I hate mag safeties

Never enough guns or ammo
Lol. I guess technically that's true or at least you would have to break the mag safety.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Yeah I know, but most guns with mag safeties can't be dry fired without a magazine installed or it could damage the striker. I hate mag safeties

it has nothing to do with the striker. my Bersa Thunder 380 has a magazine safety and it a hammer fired pistol, and so does my Ruger Mark III 22/45 as well and it's the same basic design as the older Rugers that didn't have a magazine safety.

it's simply a safety feature. it can be defeated on many pistols.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have the original ppq in.40 and 9mm. They are accurate, reliable and a lot of fun to shoot. Looking forward to your range report.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #24

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Default Walther ppq m2 bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
it has nothing to do with the striker. my Bersa Thunder 380 has a magazine safety and it a hammer fired pistol, and so does my Ruger Mark III 22/45 as well and it's the same basic design as the older Rugers that didn't have a magazine safety.

it's simply a safety feature. it can be defeated on many pistols.

Yes this is true, however I referred to the striker damage possibility as the ppq is a striker fired gun and I consider this relevant. For example this is the dry fire page out of my manual for my ruger SR45
imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398616028.389265.jpg
Some gun manuals clearly state not to dry fire the pistol without a magazine inserted with the disconnect feature. There are also plenty of rim fire pistols that state the damage dry fire could do to components. The ppq however is ok to dry fire with or without a mag as it states in the manual. The early model hk usp 45c had a design flaw that damaged firing pins when dry firing as well that hk quickly remedied. Yes I know this is a feature, but if improper procedures are followed with these features on some models it can damage parts. Luckily the ppq is not one of these guns. As far as my SR45 goes, I removed the mag disconnect feature in like literally 2mins and dry fire with of without a mag now with no damage I can see with so many dry fires I lost count and nice deep primer strikes. I have a habit of picking up some spent brass from my guns to make sure they have nice deep strikes

Last edited by jjones45; 04-27-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Yes this is true, however I referred to the striker damage possibility as the ppq is a striker fired gun and I consider this relevant. For example this is the dry fire page out of my manual for my ruger SR45
Attachment 142975
Some gun manuals clearly state not to dry fire the pistol without a magazine inserted with the disconnect feature. There are also plenty of rim fire pistols that state the damage dry fire could do to components. The ppq however is ok to dry fire with or without a mag as it states in the manual. The early model hk usp 45c had a design flaw that damaged firing pins when dry firing as well that hk quickly remedied. Yes I know this is a feature, but if improper procedures are followed with these features on some models it can damage parts. Luckily the ppq is not one of these guns. As far as my SR45 goes, I removed the mag disconnect feature in like literally 2mins and dry fire with of without a mag now with no damage I can see with so many dry fires I lost count and nice deep primer strikes. I have a habit of picking up some spent brass from my guns to make sure they have nice deep strikes

and i agree that if the operation manual supplied with the pistol says not to, then i would defer to their instructions by all means. but not all pistols with a magazine safety are striker fired pistols as the two pistols i own show that. now i would dry fire my rimfire just because i wouldn't dryfire any rimfire, but the Bersa is okay to dryfire as i am sure other centerfire pistols with a magazine safety are as well. but always follow the operation manual to be sure. there are other pistols with a magazine safety that are not striker fired though. it isn't just a feature on them and not other designs of pistols.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #26

Liked 113 Times on 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
and i agree that if the operation manual supplied with the pistol says not to, then i would defer to their instructions by all means. but not all pistols with a magazine safety are striker fired pistols as the two pistols i own show that. now i would dry fire my rimfire just because i wouldn't dryfire any rimfire, but the Bersa is okay to dryfire as i am sure other centerfire pistols with a magazine safety are as well. but always follow the operation manual to be sure. there are other pistols with a magazine safety that are not striker fired though. it isn't just a feature on them and not other designs of pistols.

Axxe, I never said striker pistols are the only pistols with mag disconnects. I agree with what you say. I was just making a reference to strikers because the ppq is a striker pistol. Like I said early usp c's had a problem with dry fire and those never had mag safeties. Luckily my serial number was after the mentioned problem. I think we can agree if the manual doesn't state dry fire restrictions then it's probably ok, although some would definitely argue against dry fire completely. I however dry fire up a storm with no remorse, lol

Old 04-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Axxe, I never said striker pistols are the only pistols with mag disconnects. I agree with what you say. I was just making a reference to strikers because the ppq is a striker pistol. Like I said early usp c's had a problem with dry fire and those never had mag safeties. Luckily my serial number was after the mentioned problem. I think we can agree if the manual doesn't state dry fire restrictions then it's probably ok, although some would definitely argue against dry fire completely. I however dry fire up a storm with no remorse, lol

i agree with what you're saying, just pointing out some of my observations.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #28

Dry firing is a great way to improve your trigger pull at the range. Any time I'm not shooting well I'll dry fire a few and see whether I'm flinching or pulling the trigger incorrectly. When done immediately after firing live ammo you will usually flinch just as if the gun was loaded. If I have my Sig Mosquito .22, it's a good way to achieve the same thing. If I ever break something from dry firing, maybe I'll re evaluate.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's great. I'm a glock guy but my brother-in-law picked one up and I have the privilege of getting to shoot it. I am a weekly shooter that wants to throw at least 300 rounds downrange a week (when the wallet permits me to). The trigger on the PPQ is fantastic. After shooting it for my first time, I became so jealous. Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #30

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding the manual. They are not saying damage will occur without a magazine, they are saying if there isn't a magazine that the gun will not fire.