Walther PPQ grip width??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Walther PPQ grip width??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Walther PPQ grip width??

Anyone have a Walther PPQ that can caliper the bottom of the grip? .40 if possible. I don't know why manufacturers don't make this information easier to find. To me it's one of the most important numbers in terms of concealment, along with height. I know the overall width is 1.3" but I think that's at the slide lever. Also on this one the middle of the grip seems a little wider than the base but I don't expect this to be much of an issue either. I think this is going to be my next carry gun when I have room for something a little bigger than my Kimber Compact.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_CCW View Post
Anyone have a Walther PPQ that can caliper the bottom of the grip? .40 if possible. I don't know why manufacturers don't make this information easier to find. To me it's one of the most important numbers in terms of concealment, along with height. I know the overall width is 1.3" but I think that's at the slide lever. Also on this one the middle of the grip seems a little wider than the base but I don't expect this to be much of an issue either. I think this is going to be my next carry gun when I have room for something a little bigger than my Kimber Compact.
link to Walther's website with specs on the PPQ.

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/handguns/ppq-m2/

Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #3

That was the first place I looked. Like I said, it only gives overall width. Usually I can find a review online that gives grip width but not for the PPQ.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_CCW View Post
That was the first place I looked. Like I said, it only gives overall width. Usually I can find a review online that gives grip width but not for the PPQ.
the overall width is the usually the widest part of the pistol, and usually the grip is the widest portion of the pistol.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

Well I know on 1911 the safety is a lot wider, which is what Sig lists on their overall width. And my Beretta PX4 is the same way, except Beretta actually lists the grip width separately.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 343 Posts

The grip on the PPQ is the widest part. I have one, but no calipers to measure it with. I bought a PPS for carry to complement the PPQ. LOVE the PPQ and how it feels and shoots, but it is a little large for me to carry with business clothes and IWB. The PPS is thinner, and carries very well. But the PPQ shoots like a dream and has a much larger capacity. Tradeoffs.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Well I'm looking for capacity. I already have a couple small 1911 and a Sig 938 when I can't conceal the PPQ. Found one person on the web saying the base of the grip is around 1.2" with the slide release being 1.3". I believe the contours on the grip are slightly wider, which is fine. The end of the grip is the hardest part to conceal. My wife is supposed to get me one for Christmas so I'll put my my calipers all over it when I have it. :-)

Yesterday I was reading about the Ruger SR40c also. 1.18" grip but the grip length was less. Sounds quite concealable except with only 9+1 capacity I'd probably rather carry my 1911.

Last edited by Brad_CCW; 12-21-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 343 Posts

Well, IMO you'll like the PPQ. I am no polymer gun fanatic, and I really enjoy my 1911 triggers, but the PPQ shoots really well compared to other polymer guns i have tried. And it feels great in the hand. Hope you like it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #9

Thanks a lot. I'm really happy with my PX4 other than the safety being backwards. Damn you Beretta, lol.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

Got my PPQ yesterday for and anniversary present. I didn't get to shoot it yet but I did caliper the grips. They're 1.21" to 1.27" wide depending where you measure them. They are 1.21" wide at the back of the grip.

I noticed it prints a lot more than my 1911's. Of course it's thicker, but the real culprit is how far the slide comes back behind my thumb on my shooting hand. I guess this gives them a shorter OAL for a given barrel length, but it certainly makes it harder to conceal. I also noticed if I Mexican carry it, my hip fits in the curve below the slide and it hides MUCH better. Maybe once my holster breaks in it will hide better.

I expected when I bought I'd have to wear more than a t shirt to conceal it, so no surprises really, except trying to hide the back of the slide.