Walther PPKS vs Bersa Thunder in 380 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Walther PPKS vs Bersa Thunder in 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Please, make sure to let us know how you and your wife like it.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Kusanagi View Post
Please, make sure to let us know how you and your wife like it.
I've been having some feed issues with the Bersa 22LR, but it's improving on each trip to the range. I joined the Bersachat forum and others had reported similar issues. Remedies included switching ammo and also some magazine maintenance. Here's the thread:

Fail to Feed Problem - Magazine ?

I just got notified from Impact that the Bersa 380 Nickel shipped today ...

The Firestorm is still "In process" status at Impact, but I understand now that the Bersa and Firestorm are otherwise identical except for some cosmetic changes.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
I've been having some feed issues with the Bersa 22LR, but it's improving on each trip to the range. I joined the Bersachat forum and others had reported similar issues. Remedies included switching ammo and also some magazine maintenance. Here's the thread:

Fail to Feed Problem - Magazine ?

I just got notified from Impact that the Bersa 380 Nickel shipped today ...

The Firestorm is still "In process" status at Impact, but I understand now that the Bersa and Firestorm are otherwise identical except for some cosmetic changes.
Sorry to read about your feed issues. Using mini mags and yellow jackets I have not had a problem.
Are you getting another 22?
So Bersa 22, Bersa 380 and a Firestorm 22? If you are you can try each of the 22 mags in both the firestorm 22 and the Bersa 22 to see if its the mag causing the problem.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
Sorry to read about your feed issues. Using mini mags and yellow jackets I have not had a problem.
Are you getting another 22?
So Bersa 22, Bersa 380 and a Firestorm 22? If you are you can try each of the 22 mags in both the firestorm 22 and the Bersa 22 to see if its the mag causing the problem.
Yes, the Firestorm 22 is actually available for pickup today, but I'm waiting a couple more days until the 380 arrives and save myself the background check fees..

I'll switch out the mags. I've been searching around for some extra mags, but they seem to be in short supply. I didn't want to do too much work on the one mag in case I destroy it Please note that it is getting better with each trip to the range. There are likely some burrs and sharp edges that are causing the misfeeds. Not sure about the ejector problem yet, but I suspect that it's ammo related.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The 380 arrived today and I picked it up.. Going to do a cleaning in a few then take it to the range tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #16

Nice,
Mags are a little easier to find then the 22.
Do not buy pro mags for your Bersa.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got the Walther PPK/S S & W version and love it. It is very well made and had no issues with mine. Yes it was recalled but the Ruger LCP was also recalled. I feel it is a better then the Bersa. I have shot the Bersa and it was not as accurate and the sights not as good. The beaver tail on the ppk was extended by S & W making it less likely to leave railroad tracks on your hand. Mine feed all types of ammo. It is real tight when you first get it does need to be broken in. The Walther is a great shooter.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Beating a dead horse..

OK.. had a short day at the range today to fire the new Bersa Thunder 380 and test out CCI MiniMags in the Thunder 22LR.

I'd had multiple issues with the 22LR before. Lots of FTFs, FTEs.. was quite disappointing. Today was much different. I used CCI Mini-Mags throughout. Two hundred rounds, in fact. I loaded 5 rounds at a time and went through the two cases. First 60 rounds were perfect. The 61st round had a FTE. The 125th round also FTEd. Throughout, I noticed the slide wasn't locking on the last round in magazine. Thought through it some more and determined that my thumb was holding the slide release lever down. I don't think it had anything to do with the FTEs, but certainly could have caused the slide releasing on last round.

The 22LR is really growing on me. It's definitely very sensitive to ammo, but feed her right and she will love you back...

OK.. Onto the 380...

I really like the size and weight of this gun. It's one of the only guns that I prefer to shoot bare-handed (I normally wear a set of weight gloves when shooting anything else). I pushed through 50 rounds of Federal 380. It almost feels like shooting a 22 except for the slightly louder popping sound :/.

On the 32nd round I had a misfeed:

I had to eject the magazine to clear it. The round looked fine so I re-loaded it and watch it take off happily to dance with the others. Grouping was good at 7 yards.. Alas, no evidence so you'll have to take my word .

All said, the wife is still asking for the Walther PPKS. She saw it in a movie and really wants the gun. No problem.. I'll keep these

Old 06-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
I got the Walther PPK/S S & W version and love it. It is very well made and had no issues with mine. Yes it was recalled but the Ruger LCP was also recalled. I feel it is a better then the Bersa. I have shot the Bersa and it was not as accurate and the sights not as good. The beaver tail on the ppk was extended by S & W making it less likely to leave railroad tracks on your hand. Mine feed all types of ammo. It is real tight when you first get it does need to be broken in. The Walther is a great shooter.
I just put an order in for the PPKS. Looking forward to it...

Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6619 Times on 3517 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
OK.. had a short day at the range today to fire the new Bersa Thunder 380 and test out CCI MiniMags in the Thunder 22LR.

I'd had multiple issues with the 22LR before. Lots of FTFs, FTEs.. was quite disappointing. Today was much different. I used CCI Mini-Mags throughout. Two hundred rounds, in fact. I loaded 5 rounds at a time and went through the two cases. First 60 rounds were perfect. The 61st round had a FTE. The 125th round also FTEd. Throughout, I noticed the slide wasn't locking on the last round in magazine. Thought through it some more and determined that my thumb was holding the slide release lever down. I don't think it had anything to do with the FTEs, but certainly could have caused the slide releasing on last round.

The 22LR is really growing on me. It's definitely very sensitive to ammo, but feed her right and she will love you back...

OK.. Onto the 380...

I really like the size and weight of this gun. It's one of the only guns that I prefer to shoot bare-handed (I normally wear a set of weight gloves when shooting anything else). I pushed through 50 rounds of Federal 380. It almost feels like shooting a 22 except for the slightly louder popping sound :/.

On the 32nd round I had a misfeed:

I had to eject the magazine to clear it. The round looked fine so I re-loaded it and watch it take off happily to dance with the others. Grouping was good at 7 yards.. Alas, no evidence so you'll have to take my word .

All said, the wife is still asking for the Walther PPKS. She saw it in a movie and really wants the gun. No problem.. I'll keep these
that misfeed on the 380 is due to mag feed lips too far apart. give it a little squeeze with your hand not a tool and it will calm right down. happens on other pistol mags too. its not a bersa specific issue
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent