Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Walther PPKS vs Bersa Thunder in 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Walther PPKS vs Bersa Thunder in 380

I stopped by the range/pawn today. They had a Walther PPKS and a Bersa Thunder in 380. The wife wants the Walther (she'd seen it in a movie). It's more expensive than the Bersa so I was surprised when they recommended the Bersa over the Walther. His words about the Walther: "Don't waste your money."

Any thoughts on the PPKS versus the Thunder?

380 is not much of a round, but she really only likes shooting a 22LR (Walther P22).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

The Walther is a classic and I would very much like to have one.

However, people have complained about the quality of the new Walther PPK and PPK/S that are currently being made in the U.S. by Smith & Wesson. There was even a recall on them. IMO if they had kept it to the original specs, they wouldn't have had that problem.

I love the PPK for the classic that it is, but I believe the Bersa has surpassed the PPK as far as practicality and ease of use.

The Bersa's trigger pull in double action is fairly light and smooth, a nice trigger.

The Bersa has a slide stop (release) lever, the PPK does not.

Bersa uses a slightly different take down mechanism, a simple lever on the side of the gun, similar to a Sig. The PPK uses a hinged trigger guard that must be pulled down to disassemble the gun.

Again, as I said the PPK is a classic and I WILL add one to my collection one day for that reason, but as far as a practical carry gun, IMO the Bersa is an improvement over the PPK.

Is there any way you can rent both so she can shoot them?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you General

They don't have either for rent at the moment. I will have her shoot them both, but I suspect she's a little more interested in the "heritage" than the practicality. Nothing wrong with that, and I understand the sentiment..

Old 05-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
I stopped by the range/pawn today. They had a Walther PPKS and a Bersa Thunder in 380. The wife wants the Walther (she'd seen it in a movie). It's more expensive than the Bersa so I was surprised when they recommended the Bersa over the Walther. His words about the Walther: "Don't waste your money."

Any thoughts on the PPKS versus the Thunder?

380 is not much of a round, but she really only likes shooting a 22LR (Walther P22).
Try getting her a Bersa/Firestorm 22. Looks like a PPK shoots like her 22. The Bersa version doesn't come with the rubber grips like the firestorm.

You could almost get an all nickel 380 Bersa and a Bersa 22 for the cost of a new PPK. I bought the Firestorm 22 to practice cheaper than my Bersa 380 same manual of arms. I have had my Bersa 380 for years with no problems. Nice shooter.

Last edited by group17; 05-19-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
Try getting her a Bersa/Firestorm 22. Looks like a PPK shoots like her 22. The Bersa version doesn't come with the rubber grips like the firestorm.

You could almost get an all nickel 380 Bersa and a Bersa 22 for the cost of a new PPK. I bought the Firestorm 22 to practice cheaper than my Bersa 380 same manual of arms. I have had my Bersa 380 for years with no problems. Nice shooter.
OK, just ordered one from Impact I couldn't find the Thunder in Stainless/.380 though (looked at Buds, Midwest, Impact).

Also ordered a CZ83 in .380.. We'll see which one she likes...

Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

I would bet she picks the Bersa.
They don't come in stainless but do in nickel finish.

Make sure you clean it and the mag before 1st firing to remove the shipping grease. Also remember which end of the recoil spring came out first. One end is smaller than the other.
Here is the Bud's add for the all nickel Bersa 22 she will want next.
BERSA T22NKL 22LR PSTL 10RD NK $266.00 SHIPS FREE

Let us know what she picks. The good news is you get the one she doesn't want.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I would bet she picks the Bersa.
They don't come in stainless but do in nickel finish.

Make sure you clean it and the mag before 1st firing to remove the shipping grease. Also remember which end of the recoil spring came out first. One end is smaller than the other.
Here is the Bud's add for the all nickel Bersa 22 she will want next.
BERSA T22NKL 22LR PSTL 10RD NK $266.00 SHIPS FREE

Let us know what she picks. The good news is you get the one she doesn't want.
Doh.. actually it's this one:

Qty SKU Item Description Price Ext.
1 091664950398 FireStorm 22LR Dual tone Pistol 10 Rd
$279.99 $279.99

OK.. Going to look at that Bersa

Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #8

Remember to feed your new 22 with cci 22 long ammo to break it in. They don't like the cheap bulk 22 but you probably know that from her P22.
Good luck!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

my bersa thunder 22 shoots everything i stuff in the mag.

but as said above the main diff is the bersa trigger is waaaaay better than the ppks.

the other big diff is the slide rides a scootch higher on the frame eliminating the bite you get from the walthers.

the mag sits higher in the frame than the walthers making the bullets have a shallower angle to the chamber greatly increasing reliability.

ive got a all steel manhurin made ppks in 22lr and my bersa thunder 22 is a more reliable firearm.

ive owned older walther ppks' in the past and wont buy another one. the bersas are hands down the better gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

The Firestorm is out for delivery today. I should be able to pick it up tonight with luck.