walther P22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > walther P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default walther P22

My wife and I went looking at handguns at some local stores. She wants a conceal gun. She looked mainly at the LCP and the Walther P22. Is the p22 any good? The low caliber kinda worries me.

If a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check the Walther 380. Pretty much identical to the P22 but in a better caliber (in my opinion) for CC.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Send her out the door with something she feels comfortable with.

A 22lr is better than nothing.

What's better than a 22lr? Pretty much everything else. Look at some 9mm or 38spl options. Maybe the Ruger SR9c. The average woman with healthy arms and hands should be pretty competent with an SR9c in her hands...that is, if she wants to be.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you are going with a .22, try a Beretta Bobcat. My wife carries one and it is a great gun for beginners too. Once you have the mag loaded and inserted, you tip up the barrel to load the chamber. No racking necessary. It has a working safety as well. The gun can be unloaded easily by just tipping up the barrel and removing the cartridge. Then if an emergency comes up, you can rack the slide to quickly load one in the chamber to fire. My wife loves hers. We also have the Taurus PT22 as well, same gun but a little cheaper to buy but just as accurate and dependable.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So what your saying is, is that you don't think she could conceal a Nighthawk Custom 1911?

Because I mean, I think she would like it...

Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #6

Thursday I bought a Ruger LC9 because:
1. Ruger is a known manufacturer of quality weapons & customer service.
2. 9mm ammo because it's the minimum caliber I wanted plus the ammo is inexpensive.
3. It's small enough to be a CCW.
4. It holds enough rounds 7 plus 1.
5. It's relatively inexpensive.
6. My wife said it was the most comfortable for her to handle.
7. I will be buying another handgun soon just for her and it will be a 9mm too so I only have to buy 9mm ammo for us both.

Everyone has their reasons for what they purchased and these are mine.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Take a critical look at the Walther p22. It has many protuberances to catch on clothing and purses which could be an issue. Its safety is less then intuitive i.e. up is fire down is safe and if you own other pistols the mag release is a little funky. Finally getting leather for the p22 is going to be harder then for most any ruger. I own a walther p22 and like it for a plinking gun, training gun, trail companion and fishing tackle box gun not so much as a carry gun.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #8

I personaly know a man who thought a .22 would be enough then one night in houston tx he was car jacked after shooting the crook 4 times center mass . If it was my wife she would carry nothing smaller than a .380 but thats up to ya'll. I carrya glock 27 now i am 6'5" and 230 lbs so i can hide it well just get to the range find out what shes good with and go. But pleas no 22 for PP target shooting all day though.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 193

P22 has had some issues, look up P22 bible with how to fix many of the common issues. IMO, it's a gun of last resort, and for that it's a really good choice. SWMBO now has a Bersa .380 and it carries very nicely for her.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My wife carries a P-22 daily and is friggin' scary with it. She can do exellent with it, and efficient. She's fast and lethal. the gun loaded with CCI stingers is pretty potent, contrary to what the rimfire haters are going to say. But as long as I can get her to carry it, it's better than a hand full of nothing. Heck I even grab it from time to time when I'm letting the dog out for a walk. Personally, I don't want to be staring down the barrel of any gun. I'm sure you won't be deciding if it's a .22lr or a 45acp. And this particular pistol don't go "click". So if it's what is comfortable for her, then so be it.