Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Walther P1/P38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Default Walther P1/P38

I bought a used P1 today at Cabelas, they sold 30 or so today for $350 a piece during their doorbuster sale. These were German military and police turn ins and came with two magazines. A few came with leather holsters for an extra $10 but I was #10 in line and those were gone by then. I've always wanted a P38 and the P1 is identical to post WWII P38s, which all have aluminum frames. Other than very few exceptions the WWII P38s are the only steel frame models.

Seems ok so far but I'm a newb with the P38. Everything seems to work and my initial and later inspections haven't turned up any glaring problems. I hope to shoot it next week. It's a clunky thing but I really like it so far!

No pictures yet but it's no beauty though in good mechanical condition. It's dated 10/76 and does not have the reinforcing hex pin of later production. Will try to get some pictures posted soon but have company in town so it's hard to find time.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Finally here are pictures of the new to me P1:

Walther P1 right

Walther P1 left

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Nice! I have been considering pulling the trigger on one as my first C&R03 purchase through AIMSurplus P1
I look forward to your thoughts after shooting.
Best of luck

Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

AIM has a good price too, VS6. I guess our prices roughly average out since I got two mags. I didn't get a manual but did find a PDF online.

If you get one I think you'll enjoy it. Mine has cosmetic flaws/scratches/wear but hardly has been shot. Mechanically it looks new.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-29-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #5

I'm finding out more information on this P1. The strengthened version slide is dated 10/76 and marked with the last three numbers of the frame's serial number which at first made me think they were a matched set but the frame does not have a steel hex pin which I understand a frame from 1976 should have. The barrel definitely is from a different pistol as it has the last three of a different serial number. This P1 was reworked 10/1977 which seemed strange to me for a frame of 10/1976 until I realized the frame must be older than the slide. I'm trying to track down the date of the frame now using the serial number. It may be from 1968. During the rework the slide must have been stamped to "match" the frame.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Well I still haven't got out to the range with the P1. Been so busy plus I found an issue with the extractor and have been working on it before taking it out to the range.

But there has been a new development. I met a friend at the LGS and they had a broken P38 (post WWII) for $250. Looking it over, the major components looked good but the safety didn't function right and you could get a full auto conditon since the hammer would drop (follow the slide on recoil) and the firing pin wasn't blocked. Otherwise a nice example from Feb 1962 so I bought it.

Got it home and found that the P38 slide and safety worked properly on my P1 frame so the problem was in the frame and I could see it was the sear. It's a $20 part so I think I'll just get an $89 parts kit from CDNN or CTD to have spares for both guns (may need an extractor for the first one anyway). I've been wanting to get a couple more magazines anyway so can bundle it all up in one order.

No pictures of the new P38, it looks pretty much the same as the first one posted above. No real difference in them except the one I just got has the thin slide and it says P38 instead of P1.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Check in here Welcome to the P38 Web Site....

Everything you want to know about P-38-P1

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #8

Thanks pmanton, I am a member there.

Salome, Arizona - wow, many, many times during the 70s I drove through there and even stayed there on occasion. Bet it's changed a lot!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #9

I took some pictures of the new P38 so will stick them in the thread if anyone's interested. I'm really getting to like these fine old guns.

Walther P38 right

Walther P38 left

P38/P1 Magazines

Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Thanks pmanton, I am a member there.

Salome, Arizona - wow, many, many times during the 70s I drove through there and even stayed there on occasion. Bet it's changed a lot!
I also drove through here on the way to Grand Canyon in the 70's. Stayed at the flea bag motel in town. Never for the life of me did I think I'd be living here.

We got a deal on a runway home at Indian Hills Airpark. So here we are. I like being able to drive 5 minutes and shoot anything from .22 to 30-06. I also like being able to walk 20 feet to my own hangar .

Cheers:

Paul