Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (
-   -   Walther P1 (

Paladin201 02-18-2012 11:32 PM

Walther P1
4 Attachment(s)
Mentioned in one of the threads about what to do with your tax refund that I had my eye on a Walther P1. Friend of mine had a war time P38 many years ago and I loved shooting it. Wanted one ever since, but unfortunately, war time P38's in good shape are a bit pricey. So I settled for the P1.

I've been watching GunBroker looking for a good one and found this gun up for auction by a pawn shop in North Carolina. They provided a half dozen or so really good clear photos of the gun, and what I saw was a P1 in near mint condition. So I grabbed it. And it's every bit as good as the pictures show. There is not a mark on the gun anywhere, and not a speck of rust.

One thing I noticed before I bought it was that it was manufactured in 1/86, which made it a later model, with a number of improvements Walther made to correct issues with earlier guns. When the slide returns to battery, the locking block action on the gun really punishes a spot inside the frame. Early frames, made entirely of aluminum, couldn't take the pounding, and would frequently crack just in front of the trigger guard. Walther added a hex shaped steel cross block, which takes the hit rather than the aluminum frame. You can see it just above the trigger guard.

Another improvement this gun has is the "fat slide". This gun uses the same dropping block action as the Beretta 92 models. And like some of the Beretta's, the slide had a tendency to crack at the point where the locking grooves are cut into it. So they beefed up the slide to eliminate the cracking problems.

The frame, slide and barrel all have the military "bullseye" acceptance stamp on them and the frame has the "Bw" stamp, which indicates that it was issued to the Bundeswehr defence force. And all the parts have matching serial numbers. It does have a "W.11.93" stamp on the right side of the frame, so it was reworked in 11/93. I suspect it was never reissued after being reworked, which explains the excellent condition. It looks as if it's been fired very little, if at all. The bore is pristine. The slide is very smooth, and the lockup is really tight. The double action trigger sucks, but that's typical of the design. The single action trigger is light and crisp.

Barring unforeseen issues, it should get a workout at the range tomorrow. We'll see if it shoots as good as it looks.

Oh, and forgot to mention it came with a German military holster, and two magazines.

vincent 02-19-2012 02:27 AM

Very sweet Mr. Paladin!! Congrats! If I'm not mistaken, Towboater just got one as well so you're in good company!!

towboater 02-19-2012 03:45 AM

Thats a great looking P1 ya got Paladin201. Hope she shoots as well as she looks.

Yep, sure did. Put 50 thru her yesterday. Was surprised at how easy it was to keep a good tight group. May have another date with her tomorrow. Was out with my blackpowder guns today, the P1 got a little jealous. Hehehee.

mag318 02-19-2012 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's and interesting P1 and the only one I've ever seen with a high polish finish. The vast majority have a dull bead blast finish that almost looks like parkerizing. So you must have a pistol built for the commercial market which would greatly enhance the value. The P1s were an improvement over the post war P38 with many improvements like the fat slide and the hex nut for strengthening the frame. The only thing I could never understand was why they went to sleeved barrels in these. Yours should be a great shooter that will give you years of enjoyment and will always increase in value as those years go by. Great find.