Walther CCP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Walther CCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Walther CCP

I realize some traditionalists will balk at the gas mechanism, but I really like it on my Sig 716 (makes shooting .308 very comfortable), and I'm going to take a look at this gun when it's in stores. If it in fact shoots smoothly, it could be a good pistol that I could enjoy sharing with my wife........
http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp/#.UywycNzvgds

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I would be concerned about cleaning the gas tube/port. I would have the clerk at the LGS show me how to clean the gas assembly before I plunked my money down.

The gas mechanism on rifles doesn't really do a lot for reducing recoil. A good fitting gun will do more to reduce perceived recoil than any gas system. It's not like the 308 is known to be a hard kicking caliber. A 150 gr 308 cartridge will generate around 15 lb of recoil. A 12 ga 3" slug generates over 70 lb of recoil.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would be concerned about cleaning the gas tube/port. I would have the clerk at the LGS show me how to clean the gas assembly before I plunked my money down.

The gas mechanism on rifles doesn't really do a lot for reducing recoil. A good fitting gun will do more to reduce perceived recoil than any gas system. It's not like the 308 is known to be a hard kicking caliber. A 150 gr 308 cartridge will generate around 15 lb of recoil. A 12 ga 3" slug generates over 70 lb of recoil.
If cleaning the gas assembly is half as easy as the Sig, then it's simple. Twist, remove, and clean the gas rod of all the stuff that goes elsewhere on a DI

On a pistol, I don't know. Haven't seen one yet. But Walther is clearly stating the gas system on this pistol reduces recoil.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

not a huge fan of walther since they merged with smith and wesson. looks like H&K either sold their P7 gas system or the patent ran out. its an interesting system but not easy to maintain in a handgun as most handgun powders are pretty damn dirty which was a HUGE issue with the P7 and in the original version in the Steyr GB.

looks like walther is going to give this failed system another college boy try...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #5

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
not a huge fan of walther since they merged with smith and wesson. looks like H&K either sold their P7 gas system or the patent ran out. its an interesting system but not easy to maintain in a handgun as most handgun powders are pretty damn dirty which was a HUGE issue with the P7 and in the original version in the Steyr GB.

looks like walther is going to give this failed system another college boy try...

I thought walther severed those ties with smith&wesson. I don't know why walther would try to make a success out of such a problematic handgun design as well, unless they know something we don't know. I'm still very interested in this gun as well, even with the gas system. I will however wait to see if it's reliable before I purchase it.

Never enough guns or ammo

Old 03-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
I thought walther severed those ties with smith&wesson. I don't know why walther would try to make a success out of such a problematic handgun design as well, unless they know something we don't know. I'm still very interested in this gun as well, even with the gas system. I will however wait to see if it's reliable before I purchase it.

Walther gets its rep from from the ppk series pistols which weren't as good as they are made out. They company floundered after ww2 when the nazi money ran out and finally got sold to sw. I'm not sure if they are part of it anymore or not.

I've not been impressed with anything they have put out since they left manhurin france. Trying to recreate a faulty design looks like marketing more than ingenuity

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #7

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Walther gets its rep from from the ppk series pistols which weren't as good as they are made out. They company floundered after ww2 when the nazi money ran out and finally got sold to sw. I'm not sure if they are part of it anymore or not.

I've not been impressed with anything they have put out since they left manhurin france. Trying to recreate a faulty design looks like marketing more than ingenuity

I certainly appreciate the history of walther but I have to disagree with your take on not being impressed with anything since the departure from France. My ppq is currently my favorite and I got to shoot a p99 that was pretty sweet as well the other day. I also hear good things about the pps. I like striker fired handguns so I guess that's just my opinion

Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones45 View Post
I certainly appreciate the history of walther but I have to disagree with your take on not being impressed with anything since the departure from France. My ppq is currently my favorite and I got to shoot a p99 that was pretty sweet as well the other day. I also hear good things about the pps. I like striker fired handguns so I guess that's just my opinion
For what it's worth, I've had a good experience with my Walther PPK380. After running a few thousand rounds through I had to send it in for service and had an excellent and quick response.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 03-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

Liked 315 Times on 222 Posts

Yep, my PPS and PPQ are both nice shooters that are very reliable. I am a 1911 fan boy, but those two striker fired guns have really surprised me.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 03-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3170 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Boy, Remington gets back into the "Handgun" side of the market and everybody and their 4th cousin wants an R51 cause it Looks "Cool" and it becomes the new "Uber Exalted Very best in Portability." All of a Sudden, The MSRP goes up $40 and the "little" problems begin to come to light. But Walther Puts out a new Gun using a different "System" of actuation and all the Boo Birds come out!!!! I hear that and I think I'm Covering a Giants Eagles Game, or Rangers Islanders!! Wow,....Just,...Wow...Both Guns are Barely In the Store Sales Displays........

I miss My P5

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...